100 Questions: NBC Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

100 QuestionsIt’s been a rocky road for NBC’s 100 Questions and now the journey is over. The sitcom has been cancelled after one season and six episodes.

100 Questions follows Charlotte Payne (Sophie Winkleman), a young woman who’s looking for love. She goes to a dating service and answers 100 questions as posed by a frustrated consultant named Andrew (Michael Benjamin Washington). While trying to figure out what she’s looking for in a mate, she recounts relationship stories that include friends Leslie (Smith Cho), Jill (Collette Wolfe), Mike (Christopher Moynihan), and Wayne (David Walton).

Originally titled 100 Questions for Charlotte Payne, the pilot was directed by Emmy Award-winning director James Burrows. NBC ordered it to series but then recast several characters and director Alex Hardcastle took over. After six installments were produced, the network cut the episode order and shut down production. Then, the show’s premiere was delayed until May 27th. Clearly, the network’s enthusiasm had waned a bit.

When 100 Questions finally did debut, most viewers didn’t notice. The show’s premiere episode attracted horrible numbers — just a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 2.48 million viewers. The numbers got even worse as the weeks progressed. The network kept the show on the schedule and let all six episodes air. There won’t be any more though.

To no surprise, 100 Questions has been cancelled and won’t be back for a second season, as reported by both Futon Critic and MediaWeek.

Though NBC declined to comment, Moynihan, the show’s creator and a co-star, has already moved on. He recently signed a deal to write and executive produce two new projects for ABC Studios. He’s also expected to have a part in front of the camera as well.

What do you think? Are you sorry that 100 Questions won’t be back? How would you have wrapped up Charlotte’s quest? Why do you think the series didn’t succeed?

Canceled and renewed TV show

134 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kevgra says

When this show got cancelled it made me really sad. With all the heavy drama & “REALITY” rubbish on TV it’s really difficult to find a nice, light, fun & happy show. It seems that the biggest complaint anyone has about 100 Questions is the laugh track.. I really can’t see how that is so offensive.. I laugh at what’s funny regardless. I think the cast was adorable, the premise was new, the feel was reminiscent of Friends which I enjoyed & miss. There were times when 100 questions was a bit corny.. but that was part of it’s charm. I really wish there was some way to get it back on track.. maybe without the “hated” laugh track. The networks need to lighten up.. What this country needs is a good laugh (of our own).

2. Adama says

I am so glad the show got canceled. I watched one episode and just couldn’t do it anymore. No appealing characters, the accent irritated me. And I don’t like the formula to the show. For once, NBC got it right by canceling it.

3. BabyBoy says

Gooooood show. I’m really sorry that “100 Questions” won’t be back.
    Why didn’t succeed ? The producers (or who the he.ll stopped it) didn’t even gave a chance to the show. After only 6 episodes you choose to stop filming?
    Wanna talk about FLASHFORWARD that it started very strong with the first 2 episodes and after that becoming boring and more boring with every episode out? And it has already confirmed other 2 seasons? Wanna know something? I still think that FLASHFORWARD is boring, even if they changed the producer’s “crew”.
    What’s the matter with you people? Don’t you like laughing anymore? Just WAR. Every successful series are war subject. Haven’t you had enough blood in the real life? Forget about the wars, fighting, hate etc. We need a little more laugh in our lives. Laughing is healthy…
    WE WANT “100 QUESTIONS” BACK !!!

4. Becca says

Too much like Friends. However, since I enjoyed Friends, this was kind of fun for a few episodes. I would have liked to have seen a full year of it though…

5. kevrain says

Show may not have been a world beater, but was heads above some of the other pathetic servings that this, and other Yank networks dish out during the “off” season

6. llyod says

WTF! This show had potential! I think NBC should have at least switched it to another night before pulling the plug!

7. Anonymous says

Acting felt forced. The laugh track was worse. How about you leave the “laughing” part to the audience at home? This just in: We can think for ourselves, you know! Moynihan was the only interesting character; the rest were just shallow caricatures. I didn’t mind watching it but I did not expect it to have a long shelf life.

8. wayneloveriaze says

ı think it was really bad show ’cause “char” is really really annoying. yes she has fake accent and its make me bad this show.
    But i’ll miss Wayne i fall in love wiht him !
    He’s awesome ! <3 i hope he join How İ Met Your Mother 😀
    İ think Wayne and Barney will be a good friends 😀 (Y)

• Anonymous says

uh….she doesn’t have a fake accent, she’s actually from england…watch peep show, which is an english comedy and she does appearances.

9. Karen says

I liked the show. I looked forward to watching and was hoping to find out what the rest of those 100 questions were. Another mistake by t.v. execs in cancelling a good show too fast.

• Jordan says

I totally agree! That was the thing that turned me off when I watched the first episode, other than that, I liked it!
      I kinda had the feeling it would get cancelled, though…

10. Haley says

I LOVED this show! I watched the first episode on TV, and fell in love. It was like “Friends” all over again, and definitly just as good. The cast worked great together, and the plot was good too. It was hilarious, but also true, and just a great show to watch. I watched all six episodes online, and I’ve watched them multiple times. I’m upset that its been canceled, and really wish that they’d given it a second chance.

11. Erik says

this show was awesome. i can watch episodes 1-6 all over again. fell in love with charlotte, leslie, and jill (especially Leslie, she was cute!) and their actresses were great also! man i can’t believe its gone now!!! i hope there was some way to revive it!

• tree says

i totally agree this show was awesome i think the problem was that they only started showing it after most shows already had their season finale so most people probably did not even know it was on i felt it kind of had a friend feel to it. they really should bring it back but this time during a regular season