18 to Life: Canadian TV Show Cancelled by The CW But…

18 to Life canceledTom and Jessie have their share of challenges as 18-year-old newlyweds. Unfortunately, their 18 to Life TV show has bigger problems. It’s been cancelled.

18 to Life revolves around a pair of best friends who end up getting married at an early age, much to the dismay of the very different parents. The series features Michael Seater, Stacey Farber, Alain Goulem, Angela Asher, Jesse Rath, Kaniehtiio Horn, Arielle Shiri, Peter Keleghan, Ellen David, Erin Agostino, Carl Alacchi, Samantha Moore, and Raphael Cohen-Demers.

An import from Canada, 18 to Life debuted on August 3rd to just a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and only 988,000 viewers. The second episode dropped to a 0.3 rating and 846,000 total viewers. That put the pair of episodes in last place in both categories. Later episodes attracted even fewer viewers.

After Tuesday’s episodes, The CW has decided to pull the show from the schedule. That leaves six episodes on the shelf. They’ll be replaced by repeats of Life Unexpected. New episodes of that drama will debut in the same timeslot on September 14th.

Though 18 to Life may be finished on The CW, the comedy has already been renewed for a second season in Canada. The CBC finished airing season one in April and production of season two is currently underway.

Hopefully fans in the States will be able to buy the show on DVD or the show will be picked up by a cable station.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that CW has cancelled 18 to Life? Do you think it’s worth watching?

Linda Grahame November 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

i thought this was one of the best shows ever!!! everyone in the show was great!!!!! Where did they get the people to play the parts THEY WERE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebekah September 17, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I like this show, and I think it’s far better then a lot of the promiscuous stuff that’s out there.
I think it’s cute how she’s always telling people she’s not pregnant.

Anonymous September 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I liked the show..I think a show about married young newlyweds is a much better premise then all that promiscuous crap on a lot of other shows.

I loved how she’s always snapping at people how she’s not pregnant, lol.

I also like the show b/c I always wanted to marry young (but didn’t get to).

Sarah September 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I wish this was still on! I love 18 to Life!

Staci September 3, 2010 at 11:19 pm

): THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD SHOW ! WHO WOULDN’T LOVE IT?!
Tom & Jessie made the perfect couple. it just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Gisselle, 16 August 28, 2010 at 12:58 am

I can’t believe this show was canceled. I was frantically looking to see if I would find the air date to the show but I couldn’t so I went online to check on the cw and kept refreshing the page to see if it was some sort of mistake or error and when I saw this! I have to say I feel sad. I mean all my friends would watch it and we would talk about the previous episodes. But yeah this blows I was really getting into the “18 to life”.

. August 23, 2010 at 10:33 am

Hello,

I’m sorry this might have the wrong “subject,” but because it is about 18 to Life I didn’t know where to put it!!

I really liked the show 18 to Life, and had only managed to watch 1 episode on TV before it was pulled. My brother stumbled on it last Tuesday night, after never hearing about it before. I certainly would have started watching it earlier, but had never seen any commercials or anything for it.

I have seen billions of adds for Nikita (for the record, I have no interest in watching that show), and all of the other shows (except Moonlight [I have never heard of it until I saw it on your website]). I think the reason why “18 to Life” had very low ratings, was because people hadn’t heard of it! I would certainly reconsider airing the show, and advertise it better for the spring time.
It is a very, very cute show, and this kind of thing happens very frequently in real life, so it is fun watching it happen to a very cute couple, who seem to be perfect for eachother. I was really looking forward to seeing where their relationship was going to go, but I no longer have that opertunity because the show has been canceled.

People like shows that related to real life. If you look at other networks, such as NBC, you see shows such as “The Middle,” and “The Office.” People love those shows because it shows how much more screwed up life can be. Same goes for “Parks and Rec,” and “30 Rock.” But alot of the CW’s shows, such as “Supernatural,” “Smallville,” and the Vampire Diaries,” people just can’t related to quite as well, and they are very “dark,” not quite meaning evil, but more like you need to turn the brightness up, a LOT. Shows such as “Life Unexpected,” are great, because that is not needed, and honestly, that makes me want to watch the show a lot more. It just gives the show a happier feeling, and encourages you to watch the show. Also, shows with creepy names, such as Smallville, Supernatural, and Hellcats, don’t sound like the best show, Hellcats just sounds bitchy.

18 to Life had everything going for it! The “brightness,” so to speak, was perfect, people could relate to it, you could compare it to your life, and see what would have happened if you really did get married at 18, and the name isn’t stupid. The one problem you had, advertising!

david182 August 21, 2010 at 9:06 pm

sucks!! i loved this show!! it was great! does anyone know if they show it online????

Lindsey August 21, 2010 at 4:27 am

I am not heartbroken that the CW canceled the show. I watch most of my shows online anyways and since CBC is filming a 2nd season I will just watch the episodes online, but I have been very disappointed in the CW since it went from the WB to the CW. They got rid of all my favorite WB shows like Gilmore Girls and Charmed didn’t last too much longer after the switch. The WB used to be my favorite channel. I hate it now and barely watch it. I do have to say that they did throw away a very good wholesome show. I love 18 to Life!! And I am surprised that they made a season 2 of Life Unexpected (which is a show I absolutely LOVE). The fact that it is one of those wholesome shows I thought it was going to bomb. I will be super surprised if it gets picked up for a 3rd season.

Anonymous August 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Why did they cancel it? i love this show i would always watch the show cw sucks

Rod August 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I would have not put the show on the CW, no body watches it. Put the show on ABC family and you will get a bigger viewers.

Jessica August 20, 2010 at 6:45 am

All of the critics complaining that 18 to Life is too realistic a portrayal of responsible teenage sexuality need to take a look at what they are saying. They are advocating for the glamourised, sensationalised, carefree, unrealistic portrayal of sexuality that is rampant in CW programming.

Ostroff can get off the couch, out of the building, leave her company car in the parking lot, and take the bus home. Who approved Fly Girls? Really, that is what she thinks is the best way to go! She already killed UPN; how many chances does she get? Can i have her job?

How successful was 7th Heaven on The WB? 18 to Life is one of the few shows that has come close to that realistic presentation of things in a few years now. The second season was a go before The CW ever announced it would air the series because it got some promotion in Canada and people watched. With a little, little effort they could have found themselves with an imported treasure. Has any show fared better since the dawn of Dawn? Even the replacing LUX saw a 1/3 drop in viewers from season premiere to finale. It is a nice show, one of the better ones on CW these years, but i am already not expecting a 3rd season of it. If The CW can’t get its $#!t together then maybe Warner should back out and re-establish its own tv channel.

The CW cancelling 18 to Life might just be the best promotion for the series in Canada that one could get. And it didn’t cost CBC a penny.

lilkunta August 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm

of course it is cancelled. why did the crappy white channel launch it in august? teens are out not at home in front of the tv.

plus where was the promo? exactly, there was none.

cw only cares about crappy teenage sex shows.

close/cancel the cw network & fire dawn ostroff from tv forever.

Ben August 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Well, i guess to still watch it being in Canada, the show isn’t anything new or groundbreaking, but it kinda goes in a different direction that all other shows seem to steer towards. In any case it’s to be expected that the show would be cancelled, the production value isn’t all that great and the actors are completely unknown to the US public except for those that might have caught “Life With Derek” with Michael Seater on the Disney channel.

Carol August 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm

The show has some good lines in it that had me chuckling. But I can’t say I’ll miss it. It was simply too derivative. Such a shame. I’m always rooting for Canadian shows in the US.