2006 Cancelled Shows: ABC Cleans House

Commander in Chief Season One The ABC network has been announcing its new Fall 2006 schedule this week. As part of that, they’ve been telling us what won’t be returning, much to the dismay of some TV viewers. It turns out that none of the scripted series introduced on ABC last fall will be returning.

Commander in Chief – ABC will begin airing the remaining new episodes on Wednesday, May 31, 2006. Fans of the series will be able to purchase Commander in Chief on DVD in the Fall. I would expect there to be some interesting supplemental materials concerning this promising but troubled series. (Download Commander in Chief on iTunes)

Crumbs – The outrageous comedy with Jane Curtin, William Devane and Fred Savage is not on the ABC Fall 2006 schedule. Five of the existing eight episodes were aired.

The Evidence – This Rob Estes drama shot six episodes (aired four) and has been off the schedule since April.

cast of FreddieFreddie – ABC will show the unaired pilot episode of the Brian Austin Green and Freddie Prinze, Jr. series on Wednesday, May 31, 2006.

Hope & Faith – After 73 episodes and three seasons, the season finale that aired on May 2nd will be the show’s last. Repeat episodes can be seen on Friday nights beginning June 2, 2006.

In Justice – The Kyle MacLachalan drama has not been picked up for a new season and only produced 13 episodes (all of which have aired).

Invasion – There were reportedly some initial talks of the show being picked up by the new CW network. That became unlikely due to high production costs. The complete Invasion series is available on DVD and features some nice extras.

Less Than Perfect – You can see new episodes starting on Tuesday, May 30, 2006. After four seasons, the show is not on the Fall lineup.

Primetime – For the first time in over 15 years, the veteran news show is not on the fall schedule. The show may return in the form of news specials or if an entertainment show currently on the schedule fails.

Rodney – This show has been missing since February but will return on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 to air unseen episodes.

Sons & Daughters – Fans of this quirky comedy can check out co-creator and series star Fred Goss’ blog for his thoughts on the cancellation.

Other shows that had been cancelled previously include: Alias, Emily’s Reasons Why Not, Hot Properties, Jake in Progress, and Night Stalker.

Keep in mind that, though unlikely, it is possible for shows to be resurrected, especially after a new season starts and new shows don’t garner the ratings that the network hopes for.

According to Jim, What About Brian and George Lopez, which were all on the brink of cancellation, have been renewed for another season. TV Series Finale home page

Caitlyn G. January 5, 2008 at 4:54 pm

ABC, stop serving your own greedy interests!!! Invasion was 1 of my favorite shows. I absolutely HATE that you cancelled it!! Lost is theonly thing that keeps me watching ABC. If ya’ll cancel Lost like you did Invasion, I swear I will find a way to boycott ABC!!!Don’t ya’ll care about your viewers?? Obviously not. Ya’ll SUCK!! I signed the petition and I also got 18 others to sign it as well. BRING INVASION BACK!!!!! I want to know what went with Larkin!!! Please I beg you!!!! If you don’t you’ll be sorry you didn’t!!!____Concered Citizen!!!!

Ken April 11, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Rodney and Freddie were both good shows. bring them back for god sakes.

Rennae March 28, 2007 at 10:26 am

well personally i em very upset that invasiond got cancled it was so interesting to watch and see what was going to happen next i never found out it got cancled but i finally relized it when a new show was playing its place rather pissed me off. how do they think we are just gonna watch one sence let us drop off a cliff then it never comes back that my friends really pisses me off

Erica March 6, 2007 at 1:18 pm

I do not understand how you could get rid of Invasion. I had been waiting and waiting for it to return and found out that you had cancelled the show. Wednesdays used to be my favorite TV night and now I am back to watching my DIRECTV shows, I still record Lost but I refuse to go to ABC and view any more of their shows until you return Invasion. I just signed the petition to return it. There seems to be no obvious respect for finishing something you started. At least give it one more season to finish it.

stine Jacobsen January 17, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Hi
I could not belive they that they dont want to keep “Invation”! Im have seen every episode in Norway and the last one aired to day- I cried when they said that the show had been cancelde! In Norway this was a more populare show than Lost!!!! what where they thinking!! There is a lot of “junk-tv”, but “invation” is not one of them.
I am dissaponited!
Stine from Norway

Judy January 1, 2007 at 10:42 am

Why did you cancel Commander in Chief? Is it that only shows with a lot of sex are the only shows that are being watched. No wonder our youth is so corrupt. Commander in Chief was an interesting and well portrayed series, you got us hooked and then you let us sink. Thanks, Bring the show back.

Norma December 26, 2006 at 2:12 pm

I’m so disappointed that FREDDIE was cancelled! I thought it was such a good show, Freddy Prinze and Brian Green were awesome together. What is happening that you are cancelling all the good shows, how sad for us loyal fans!!

Dorothy Griffith December 8, 2006 at 6:14 am

Hey! I would like more comedys back on tv like Hope and Faith, Rodney, Freddie, My Wife&Kids, Reba, According to Jim & George Lopez. Life is depressing enough don’t take all the funny sitcoms away!