2006 Cancelled Shows: ABC Cleans House

Commander in Chief Season One The ABC network has been announcing its new Fall 2006 schedule this week. As part of that, they’ve been telling us what won’t be returning, much to the dismay of some TV viewers. It turns out that none of the scripted series introduced on ABC last fall will be returning.

Commander in Chief – ABC will begin airing the remaining new episodes on Wednesday, May 31, 2006. Fans of the series will be able to purchase Commander in Chief on DVD in the Fall. I would expect there to be some interesting supplemental materials concerning this promising but troubled series. (Download Commander in Chief on iTunes)

Crumbs – The outrageous comedy with Jane Curtin, William Devane and Fred Savage is not on the ABC Fall 2006 schedule. Five of the existing eight episodes were aired.

The Evidence – This Rob Estes drama shot six episodes (aired four) and has been off the schedule since April.

cast of FreddieFreddie – ABC will show the unaired pilot episode of the Brian Austin Green and Freddie Prinze, Jr. series on Wednesday, May 31, 2006.

Hope & Faith – After 73 episodes and three seasons, the season finale that aired on May 2nd will be the show’s last. Repeat episodes can be seen on Friday nights beginning June 2, 2006.

In Justice – The Kyle MacLachalan drama has not been picked up for a new season and only produced 13 episodes (all of which have aired).

Invasion – There were reportedly some initial talks of the show being picked up by the new CW network. That became unlikely due to high production costs. The complete Invasion series is available on DVD and features some nice extras.

Less Than Perfect – You can see new episodes starting on Tuesday, May 30, 2006. After four seasons, the show is not on the Fall lineup.

Primetime – For the first time in over 15 years, the veteran news show is not on the fall schedule. The show may return in the form of news specials or if an entertainment show currently on the schedule fails.

Rodney – This show has been missing since February but will return on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 to air unseen episodes.

Sons & Daughters – Fans of this quirky comedy can check out co-creator and series star Fred Goss’ blog for his thoughts on the cancellation.

Other shows that had been cancelled previously include: Alias, Emily’s Reasons Why Not, Hot Properties, Jake in Progress, and Night Stalker.

Keep in mind that, though unlikely, it is possible for shows to be resurrected, especially after a new season starts and new shows don’t garner the ratings that the network hopes for.

According to Jim, What About Brian and George Lopez, which were all on the brink of cancellation, have been renewed for another season. TV Series Finale home page

T PARKER October 21, 2006 at 4:02 pm

PLEASE RETHINK BRINGING RODNEY BACK,GREAT SHOW ALWAYS FUNNY MUST SEE TV!ONE NIGHT OF SITCOMS WILL WORK,YOU WILL SEE.

Florence Grant October 21, 2006 at 10:43 am

You cancelled “Surface” and I and my family were really looking forward to the Fall shows so we could see what happened after the last episode. I think your judgement re Surface is ‘way off the mark. It’s a good show.

janice reed October 20, 2006 at 12:17 pm

BRING BACK INVASION!!!!!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

don logsdon October 19, 2006 at 8:34 am

CAN NOT believe that Rodney was cancelled one of th efunniest shows that was released. NOTHING on now to compare.
BRING BAAAACK RODNEY

Joe October 16, 2006 at 2:14 pm

Rodney was the best comedy on TV. It deserves another chance.

Johnna October 13, 2006 at 3:42 am

Rodney was the funniest show! Nothing for me on ABC at all now. Rodney should have had a better time slot.

Grady Hart October 11, 2006 at 9:44 pm

Because of networks dropping shows like Invasion, I try to limit the number of new shows I watch each year. As expected, left hanging again (Earth 2, Space: Above and Beyond, etc.) Thankfully, Enterprise was allowed the opportunity to shoot an ending. Lost and Invasion back to back were good at keeping my remote from wandering. At least there is always a good Friday night Sci Fi line up.

Michael Ponsler October 10, 2006 at 9:53 am

I have been waiting all summer for the return of Invasion. I can’t believe it got cancelled. That was a great show and ABC had made wednesday MUST SEE TV from 9pm to 11pm every week we watch these shows and I’m deeply disappointed.

DARYLL October 6, 2006 at 5:50 pm

ABC,

PLEASE BRING COMMANDER AND CHIEF BACK. THIS WAS AN EXTREMELY GOOD SHOW….WAS IT CANCELED BECAUSE WE AS AMERICAN MAY BE FACING REALITY OF HAVING A WOMAN PRESIDENT. SO YOU GUYS DON’T WANT TO ENCOURAGE THIS “COULD BE” CHANGE IN AMERICAN HISTORY.

Mary Tipping October 5, 2006 at 6:12 am

ABC – I just realized this week, that Invasion was not being released for the Fall 2006 program line-up. How disappointing!!! My husband and I made sure that Wednesday nights were freed up for TV viewing. I attempted to watch Nine – after Lost last night, but gave up and took my dog for a walk instead. I do hope you bring Invasion back to ABC or sell the rights to another network to bring it back. Sincerely – MT

??? October 4, 2006 at 9:21 pm

Bring back Invasion!!!!!!!! That show was AWSOME!!!

ron currie October 2, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Watched abc for Rodney, Lost and Invasion only. You should take the hint you are loosing audience and
revenue. Stop serving your own greedy interests and take care of your customer as we real working stiffs in the world do.

ty September 29, 2006 at 8:42 pm

Rodney is one of the only comedies that can compete with earl…the office has potential but still sucks, and jim is just plain tired, even more so than raymond or king of queens…I’m glad I taped rodney – wish there was more…

Anonymous September 29, 2006 at 2:10 pm

Invasion was one of the best shows on tv. It was original. The good shows always get cancelled. Orry

nancy September 28, 2006 at 9:51 am

How the hell are you going to get rid of FREDDIE it was so funny!!! Giving a show one year isn’t a fair chance in allowing to prove themselves!