2006 Cancelled Shows: CBS Cancels a Few Favorites

Tom Cavanagh in Love MonkeyCBS is playing it particularly safe this fall. The Tiffany network is introducing only four new shows, therefore sticking with most of its current schedule and canceling few programs. The few casualties (mostly sitcoms) of the 2005-06 season are:

Courting Alex – The quirky show starring Jenna Elfman and Dabney Coleman started as a mid-season replacement show but never quite caught on. The eighth of the 12 episodes aired in March and the show has been off the schedule since.

Love Monkey – The Tom Cavanagh sitcom was pulled from the CBS schedule after only three episode airings but VH1 started airing the remaining five episodes in April 2006. Viacom owns both VH1 and CBS and no further episodes have been ordered.

Out of Practice – This doctor-family sitcom starred Henry Winkler and Stockard Channing on CBS’ big night of comedy. Unfortunately, it didn’t perform as well as How I Met Your Mother or the more recent The New Adventures of Old Christine. To date, 14 of Practice’s 20 episodes have aired and has been off the air since January 2006.

ThresholdStill Standing – After four seasons and 88 episodes, CBS has pulled the plug on this family sitcom. The last episode aired on March 8, 2006. There was no official closing episode produced but reruns will begin airing on Lifetime in the fall.

Threshold – CBS’ answer to science-fiction programming (ABC had Invasion, NBC had Surface…) didn’t catch on and was pulled from the schedule after nine of its 13 episodes had aired. You can however find all of the episodes here.

Yes, Dear – This family sitcom aired for six seasons and 122 episodes. Though you can find reruns in syndication, it will not return to CBS in the fall. It’s unknown if it was intended to be a series finale but the final scene of the sixth season featured a sentimental scene between Greg and Jimmy. TV Series Finale home page

suzie kardish October 2, 2006 at 5:16 pm

What’s wrong with CBS! Yes Dear, Still Standing and Out of Practice were far better than the crap reality shows! Bad move by CBS as far as I’m concerned.

suzie kardish October 2, 2006 at 5:10 pm

mary September 27, 2006 at 6:54 am

I’m truly disappointed over the cancellation of Charmed. The last episode was wrapped up perfectly. I didn’t know that I was watching the last episode at that moment. Some of us like to watch more than sports, talk shows and comedy shows sometimes. I don’t have anything against those types of programming if you’ve got the time and interest for them. But I guess sports, talk and comedy shows bring home the most bacon since non-cable television seems to be saturated with them.

I read somewhere that TNT was going to air most if not all of the Charmed episode re-runs. I know that there are some if not all of the Charmed season dvd’s available. Charmed was a good show in my book. I liked the soap opera taste of Charmed. I also enjoyed the adventure, the drama, the suspense, the action and the family-oriented tast of Charmed. As I’ve stated elsewhere, people say that you get what you pay for. I am considering subscribing to a cable service to see more of the types of television programming that interest me. Currently I watch less than 5 hours of non-cable television programming on a weekly basis.

Less than 5 years ago, I was watching New York Undercover, The Emergency Room, She Spies, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and another show that I think was called the X-men. Heck I don’t even think that the Outer Limits and the new Twilight Zone airs on the non-cable networks in my area anymore. I’m beginning to believe that it’s not worth the effort to turn on my television until I subscribe to a cable service.

diane September 26, 2006 at 8:44 am

Please don’t cancel King of Queens!!!! It is my all time favorite show and I cringe to think what my life would be like without it!!

Angela September 25, 2006 at 9:11 am

I wish Invasion hadn’t been cancelled, I really enjoyed watching that and Lost on Wednesday nights. There is no closure where the show and it’s characters are involved. That’s a terrible way to end a series.

marty September 22, 2006 at 8:34 pm

they should stop making all the reality shows and more entertaining one that everyone can enjoy.Invasion was really good and they shouldn’t just leave it like they did

Allwyn September 21, 2006 at 1:10 am

Charmed should have not been cancelled it was the best show on earth.i love it and i will love it always.

Trevor September 20, 2006 at 5:30 pm

Corinne and Lori:
Invasion aired on ABC and was unfortunately canceled. You can read details here.

The complete Invasion series is available on DVD and features some nice extras!

I’ve got a lead on a few story concepts from season two. Stay tuned for a new post! ;-)

Trevor September 20, 2006 at 4:58 pm

Chopshop: Surface aired on NBC and was cancelled some time ago. You can read details here.

The complete Surface series is available on DVD here.

Lori September 20, 2006 at 4:57 pm

I too have been hanging on the edge for the Invasion premiere. Is it coming back on?

chopshop September 20, 2006 at 3:55 pm

Just wondering what happened to Surface? I never missed an episode…I hope it wasn’t cancelled. Does anyone have any idea what happened?

jan rossetti September 20, 2006 at 12:34 pm

My husband and I are saddened by the cancellation of “Out of Practice” and “Just Legal”. I suppose the powers that be could care less about what anyone in our age group thinks! I’m 58, and my husband is 60.
We still FEEL & ACT like we’re 40…so why shouldn’t our vote count??

Mike September 20, 2006 at 10:21 am

King of Queens is a funny, funny show. I will miss it. Big goofy man-good looking gal, crazy old father living downstairs-a good recipe. Gave Out of Practice a fighting chance and basically found out fast it was going to be all “man-drama” with the son who lost his woman (insert Boo-Hoo here)- same ole schtick of How I met your mother- just whiny guy drama. Comedies are supposed to make you laugh and take your mind off the drama of real life- and these two don’t. Period.

carol September 20, 2006 at 7:13 am

I really hope this will be the last season for Survivor. It is growing old and boring.
As old rock-’n-rollers, my husband and I really like the ROCK STAR shows. It is a huge boost for all of the bands on the show and great publicity. Keep it up, although we always disagree with the choice of the final rocker. Both shows we chose to never buy any CDs or go to the concerts if one of the singers is chosen and looky looky the bands cose the very singer we hated. We do enjoy the music though.

laura September 19, 2006 at 6:40 pm

still missing Judging Amy. Any hopes for cpme back?