2007 – 2008 Cancelled Shows: Lots of TV Series Casualties

USA' The 4400With the writers strike in full swing, the networks have been reluctant to officially cancel many shows this season. They’re desperate for original scripted programming, even if it’s getting less-than-impressive ratings. In that way, the strike’s been good for some series; giving them more time to try to build an audience. Unfortunately, sometimes it isn’t enough.

Here are the 2007 – 2008 season casualties, as well as a few cable and summer series:

The 4400 – USA Network decided to end the series after 45 episodes and four seasons, leaving many storylines unresolved.

Anchorwoman – After one night on the air, FOX pulled this comedy-reality series starring former World Wrestling Entertainment model Lauren Jones. There was talk that another channel might pick it up but that hasn’t happened.

The Dead Zone – USA Network recently decided to end the series after 80 episodes and six seasons. There are currently no plans to wrap up the show’s unfinished storylines.

Emeril Live – Food Network has cancelled one of it’s flagship programs after 10 years on the air. Fans of Emeril can take consolation in the fact that the energetic chef will still be seen on his other show, Essence of Emeril.

Hey Paula – Paula Abdul felt she was unfairly portrayed in the Bravo series and has said that she has no interest in doing another reality show like this one. It would be hard to continue the series without her.

John from Cincinnati – Rather than produce another season of Deadwood, HBO went with this often confusing series from David Milch. Viewership didn’t meet expectations and it was cancelled after one season. The DVD set is coming in April 2008.

Journeyman – Despite following NBC’s Heroes, this time-travel series consistently lost much of its lead-in audience. The network let it’s option to order more first season episodes lapse. Though there’s a possibility that the show could return for a second season, it’s highly unlikely.

The Kill Point – Though the John Leguizamo/Donnie Wahlberg series performed well, Spike TV decided against renewing it, opting instead to pursue reality programming.

Nashville – When FOX pulled this reality show after only two episodes, the network maintained that it would return. Unfortunately, the cast and crew were later informed that it was in fact cancelled. The producers were shopping the series to other outlets but it doesn’t look like they have had any luck.

On the Lot – FOX had high hopes for the Mark Burnett/Steven Spielberg filmmaking competition but viewers weren’t interested. The show was cut to one episode per week and barely made it to its conclusion. The official site’s been taken down and it’s highly unlikely that you’ll ever see the show again.

Online Nation – The first official network cancellation of the season, this CW Internet clip show was dropped after four episodes and lousy ratings.

Passions – NBC cancelled the soap in January. It was saved when DirecTV stepped in and bought the exclusive rights to air it; hoping fans would subscribe to the satellite TV provider. Things haven’t worked out and now DirecTV has pulled the plug. The last shows will air in August and, understandably, many soap fans feel cheated. Will someone else save the series?

The Showbiz Show with David Spade – Comedy Central opted not to renew the mock-entertainment news program after three seasons. Spade continues to be seen on CBS’ Rules of Engagement.

Traveler – ABC had little faith in this series almost from the start, when the network shortened its episode order and delayed it until Summer 2007. All eight episodes have aired and castmembers have moved on to other projects.

Viva Laughlin – CBS dropped the musical drama after it hit sour notes with both critics and viewers. Eight episodes were filmed but only two have seen the light of day.

How many shows will join this list once the writers strike is finished? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

E Taylor January 24, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I, too used to watch alot of NBC shows. Journeyman was one of the shows I really liked from the new season…..and of course, NBC has cancelled it. I think they should rethink this show and give it another chance. I have gone to mostly watching cable because the NETWORKS NO LONGER CARE ABOUT THE VIEWERS…..AND THE SPONSORS WILL EVENTUALLY FIGURE OUT THE NETWORKS ARE DELIVERING CRAP AND SELLING CRAP time slots for their products.

I don’t know who is vying harder for worst network that makes horrendous decisions…..NBC or CBS. I think think anyone watches ABC at all anymore. Unfortunately, the bogus neilson ratings don’t reflect the truth!!!!!

Michael Field January 23, 2008 at 12:21 pm

NBC obviously doesn’t care about what the viewers think. Journeyman is a well written, entertaining show. Obviously nothing in the 10 pm timeslot on Monday works. Last season, another great show, Studio 60, canceled. Replaced by The Black Donneleys, canceled. Replaced by The Real Wedding Crashers, canceled. I refused to watch The Black Donneleys and The Real Wedding Crashers because NBC canceled Studio 60 prematurely. The show had good ratings, actually better than Journeyman has now, but just canceled it. Didn’t move it to another night, different timeslot, nothing. So now, a year later, NBC does it again. Journeyman more than likely canceled without moving it elsewhere and trying it out. With the strike going on, NBC can move it elsewhere to attract more viewers. They could give this show a chance but rather not because the reality junk they put out is less expensive to put on the air. I WILL NOT watch another NEW series on NBC if Journeyman is canceled. PERIOD. I will watch what I currently do on NBC, which is Chuck, The Office, 30 Rock, and My Name is Earl. Anything else and you can forget it. I’m tired of giving NBC a chance when NBC doesn’t give the shows we like one.

sw January 23, 2008 at 12:21 pm

‘The Bionic Woman’ was much better when it was on ABC TV. The f*cking idiots at NBC, they screwed it up. Not too mention, the Writer’s are still on strike.
You can plead, and beg even boycott if you want. TOO LATE, and do me a favor. GET A F*CKING LIFE!!!

Tod January 22, 2008 at 12:21 pm

After hearing a rumor, I finally found verification that Journeyman was canceled. I can’t believe it!! In the “old days” I could only wonder what happened my favorites would disappear. Thanks to the Internet, I can find out much quicker now. I can also say to the networks and executives, “How can you be so shortsighted?”

Every show I’ve ever enjoyed that suddenly disappeared, was one that started off big, slumped quite a bit, and then suddenly took off like a rocket in another timeslot or on another network!

As for Journeyman, I’m SURE that’s the case as well.

I watched every single episode even though I had to tape them and watch later. And since then I’ve watched each episode at least two more times on NBC’s website. If nothing else, give Journeyman and a webcast audience if you don’t want it taking up network airwaves.

mike January 22, 2008 at 12:06 pm

There must be a better reason for Rome not to be back. The actor who’s gone to Journeyman from Rome was far better in Rome. Rome was top notch. Why didn’t it come back? Really?

Jose Ayala January 17, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Please bring back Bionic Woman. And dont even think about touching Heroes of Smallville, finish both seasons please and give smallville its 8th season and heroes its third. Fans are crazy for both shows and will riot if they are cancelled. As well as NBC and CW will loose its flagship shows. Say goodbye to alot more money. And please save passions!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous January 13, 2008 at 10:05 pm

And yet the crap that is AFV was renewed.

Pat Westrope January 11, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I want to know what has happened to Men In Trees on ABC. Why isn’t it in reruns because of the strike like the other series are. Please do not take this off the air. I love this show. Pat

Michele January 11, 2008 at 7:06 am

Bring back Journeyman and The 4400…great shows!

Jen Neary January 10, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Please renew journeyman, jericho…these are great shows and much more entertaining than reality programming. I’m so bored and sometimes disgusted with reality shows. Why not try some different time slots for some of these shows.

Nate January 10, 2008 at 12:31 pm

I think a website consisting of polls of what shows we want to stay and what shows we want to go is a good idea. These networks need to know how the viewers feel. I mean, they keep a ton of bad shows on while cutting all the good ones.

chip wilson January 9, 2008 at 8:37 am

Need to save Journeyman, Close To Home, Moonlight and Jericho I’m getting tired of reality shows.
thanks Chip

Robert Grant January 8, 2008 at 10:10 pm

There are millions of fans of The 4400 series, and I am deeply disappointed that USA Network disregarded their feelings, left so many questions unanswered and unresolved. Maybe we should follow the example of the writers and ALL BOYCOTT THE USA NETWORK FOR ONE YEAR UNTIL THEY RESUME THE 4400 SERIES. I WILL, STARTING NOW…

Kalan January 7, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I really can’t believe NBC cancelled Journeyman. I remember when I used to watch NBC almost exclusively. Journeyman is probably the only show I now watch on NBC. I am beginning to think that NBC probably stands for Nothing But Crap. What a shame.

Melissa Sheppard January 6, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Please! i am begging you.. Bring back, Journeymen, Bionic Woman…….