2008 – 2009 Cancelled Shows: NBC Officially Announces Series Renewals and Pick Ups

HeroesNBC held their infront presentation today, a couple weeks before the other networks hold their own big presentations for advertisers. The peacock network is taking a big risk next fall, scheduling The Jay Leno Show five nights a week at 10pm. While it’s hard to tell if that decision will bring them success, we do know that there are far fewer hours left for traditional programming.

Today, NBC officially announced that it was renewing Heroes, Southland, Parks and Recreation, and six episodes of comedy filler Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday. These renewals join the previous pickups of The Office, 30 Rock, The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Apprentice, and Friday Night Lights.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit was previously renewed as well. The show’s stars, Christopher Meloni and Mariska Hargitay, have been in contract negotiations and Universal Media Studios co-chair Marc Graboff indicated that an offer has been made to them. Graboff says that he hopes they’ll return but assured attendees that SVU will be back either way.

Official announcements on the fate of Chuck, Medium, and Law & Order have been delayed a couple weeks, presumably until the final schedule is presented to advertisers. However, audience members were told privately that all three were indeed coming back. It seems the delay is stemming from working out the renewal details such as episode orders. Though none of the shows’ ratings have been very good, the network is hedging its bets in case it needs to replace The Jay Leno Show come mid-season.

It seems that the fate of My Name is Earl is still up in the air. If the peacock network cancels it, FOX will likely pick it up so the sitcom will have enough episodes for a good-sized syndication package.

New shows coming next season include Trauma and Mercy, a pair of medical series; Day One, a show about a post-catastrophe world; a Friends-like sitcom called 100 Questions; and a comedy centered around a community college called Community. The new version of Parenthood has also made NBC’s schedule and may end up being paired with Heroes.

Canceled and renewed TV show

41 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Cheryll says

PLEASE don’t cancel Mercy and Trauma- I LOVE these shows, basically the 2 I definitely watch on NBC!

2. Megan says

If NBC cancles Mercy I will NEVER watch another show on that station ever again. I will make sure other people never watch that station too

3. Wendy says

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP MERCY! IT”S THE ONLY SHOW I WATCH ALL WEEK! I will commit to watch more on NBC during the rest of the week! PLEASE keep Mercy going.. It’s the best! :)

4. Jenni says

I love Mercy…this is a great show! I will be real upset if it is cancelled! Please keep Mercy around for another season! I watch this show religiously! Thanks =)

5. says

Hey please don’t let Mercy be canceled !! I love this show it is helping me through nursing school reminding me of why I love nursing every week. There’s a lot of us out here who love real nursing so keep up the good work. thanks

6. garcia the thief says

Ask GARCIA THE THIEF! How he really came up with My Name Is Earl?! Ask him where’s his copyright for My Name Is Earl? The one that he sent to the U.S. copyright office himself personally in his own name? He

7. Mike says

NBC has no NFL football. One strike. NBC is hacking it’s prime time TV programming to death. Two strikes. Jay Leno 5, yes 5!, times a week. Three strikes. This network is lucky to get as many viewers as a cable fishing show in Iowa.

8. memo to greg garcia says

maybe My Name Is Earl is getting cancelled because NBC & 20TH Century Fox
    know now after all the evidence
    that was provided by Mark Gable’s
    world renown lawyers, that garcia really
    did rip off Mark Gable’s script Karma. And NBC & 20TH Century Fox are embarrassed to be associated with garcia.

cause greg is full of ****.
    ask greg to explain Karma by Mark Gable.
    Mark Gable wrote My name is Earl, read the lawsuit.
    what kind of man accepts an award for work he didn’t create?
    pats on the back, limo’s, champagne, hamptons mansions, red carpet events and lunch at the ivy mean everything to hacks like greg garcia.
    it’s really tragic when the only way a man can get a hit and win an award is by pretending someone else’s work is their own.
    writer? Toni morrison is a writer.
    greg garcia is a hack and he should step up and return Mark Gable’s work.

9. Babo says

sorry for results of apprentice,are we all to believe Joan works soo hard in the help kitchens.I think she went way overboard with her hate views,and also her face lifts.I’m 70 years I hope I don’t ever get that vain.Her daughter fills moms shoes very well ,scarey.I wish there was a place we could vote our opinions to Mr. Trump before the end of the show. Thanks