21 Jump Street: Johnny Depp May Be in the Jonah Hill Movie

Johnny DeppA few more details are trickling in about Jonah Hill’s planned film adaptation of the 21 Jump Street series that launched Johnny Depp’s career. The most exciting news centers around Depp possibly making a cameo in the film, but there also seems to be some promising news about the release date.

21 Jump Street debuted on Fox in 1987 and lasted for five seasons. It not only catapulted Depp to stardom, but also launched the careers of Peter DeLuise, Holly Robinson Peete, and Richard Grieco. The show revolves around young streetwise police officers who get assigned to high schools, working undercover to infiltrate gangs and track down drugs, hate crimes, peer pressure, etc.

Hill, who achieved fame costarring in the blockbuster Superbad, is signed on to executive produce and help write the script, and may also write in a part for himself. The plan for the film adaptation is to follow along with the plot of the original series, but to add considerably more humor. He’ll also update it to reflect the 21st century, meaning the kids will now use cell phones and Facebook, and won’t be wearing acid wash jeans.

Do you think Depp will appear in the movie?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Regarding the inclusion of Depp in the film, Hill is saying they “haven’t had any contact before. I’ve just heard that he’s interested, and I’m more than interested.” It’s safe to assume that fans would probably be even more interested. Hill is almost guaranteeing that it will happen, saying, “If he is down to do it, we have written a really, really funny cameo for him in the movie.”

Looking at the possible release date, Hill turned down a role in Transformers 2 to do 21 Jump Street, and says he has to make the films Moneyball and The Sitter first, but then promises his undivided attention will be on 21 Jump Street.

While some reports were saying that the release date of this TV to film adaptation was pushed back to sometime in 2012, it’s not entirely accurate. Hill says they’re committed to shooting in January 2011, meaning a 2011 release is very possible.

What do you think? Will Johnny Depp actually appear in the movie? Would you like to see any other original cast cameos?

anna graham December 12, 2010 at 4:50 pm

my name is anna graham
i think johnny depp is verry handsome he really is me and my sister went to
see a movie called the tourist this is my first to watch it

Carole J December 8, 2010 at 10:59 am

I am a huge Depp fan and love all of his quirky characters that he created. It’s comparitively easy for a “normal” actor to read the part of the character that the writed created and just follow directions; but Depp is the one who always makes whatever movie he is in and brings his talent and imagination to each part. His Captain Jack made Billions where without his character, it would have been a kiddie movie. Same for any movie he is in.

I would love to see all of the original cast in the new Jump Street, and not just cameos.
I’ve wanted to see DeLouise and Nguyen in something. Both look great and I think Nguyen was always under implemented as a character.

I will not see Jump Street unless Depp is in it. I’m 56 and not interested in actors younger than my kids. If Depp and Co is in the movie, of course I’ll see it. I think he is the best, innovative and still sexy actor in the last decade.

Michelle May 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm

What is IMDB?
So the produer saw Johhny as a musician and thought he would play a good role?

angela May 25, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Johnny had already been in A Nightmare on Elm Street and Platoon before 21 Jump Street.

IMDb.com is a movie information website.

Cynthia May 25, 2010 at 11:11 am

Actually, the part of Tom Hanson was written specifically w/ Depp in mind. Originally he turned it down, but the money was good and he wanted the chance to work w/ the guys directing & producing the show. He signed to a 6 yr contract, thinking the show would never last that long.

/ IMDB is your friend ;)

Michelle May 13, 2010 at 1:34 am

What kind of training did Johnny Depp have before he got the role for 21 Jump Street?
Did he just go for the audition and got the part?
How did he hear about the audition? Did he have an agent at that time and who was his agent?

angela April 5, 2010 at 6:48 pm

David
How do you know he sucks if you won’t watch anything he’s in?

david March 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

anything johnny depp is in i WONT watch! the dude sucks!!

kev March 23, 2010 at 11:20 am

i would like to see Holly Robinson-Peete and Depp but grieco and the rest can sit this one out.I think Travolta and Halle would be a good start

Coco March 22, 2010 at 2:30 am

I’d like to see the original cast. Of course, Capt. Jenko won’t be involved but I’d really like to see the original four including Dustin Nyguyen and Holly Robinson Peete. Maybe the son or daughter of “Blowfish” Sal Banducci (maintenance engineer) and Mindy Cohn cameo (she played his mom) could be included. I’m not a huge fan of the Grieco years so seeing him is not a priority.

DLH March 21, 2010 at 6:14 am

Johnny said that he’d love to be in it if the part (role) was right…which for him would be something that would be very funny and would probably make fun of his character Tom Hanson in some way. If Johnny didn’t like what Jonah Hill had written for his character, then I doubt he would do it unless he could convince Hill to write it the way Johnny thinks would be funny and self-deprecating. It would likely be a very small cameo role that he could film in a few days. Johnny’s schedule is already very full for the next year or more.

angela March 20, 2010 at 10:38 am

Depp recently said he would love to make a cameo in the movie, so yes I think he’ll be in it. I’d love to see the others also cameo in the film, especially Holly Robinson Peete and Peter DeLuise.