227 Cast Reunion for Today Show But The Brady Bunch Is Cancelled

227 castYou may recall that, a few days ago, we reported that NBC’s Today Show was hosting some classic TV show cast reunions. Well, we have some good news and some bad news…

First, here’s the good. Members of the cast of 227, the 1980s NBC sitcom, will be reuniting next Thursday, March 4th Wednesday, March 3rd. Tune in to see Marla Gibbs, Jackee Harry, Regina King, Hal Williams, and Curtis Baldwin back together after 20 years. No doubt they’ll talk about the recent loss of costar Alaina Reed Hall.

Tomorrow, the castmembers of Eight Is Enough are still coming together. On Tuesday, March 2nd, The Partridge Family are reuniting. Unfortunately, Shirley Jones dropped out but Suzanne Crough will now be filling her spot.

Finally, on to the bad news. Florence Henderson had to drop out of the Brady Bunch reunion but Maureen McCormick was added to the gathering. After hearing this, fans who’ve been following the Bradys recently were curious to see how Eve Plumb and McCormick would interact.

Which would you rather see reunite?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The two supposedly haven’t been getting along since, while promoting her book, McCormick told some stories that she and Plumb innocently practiced kissing together while shooting the show. That got blown out of proportion and sensationalized. McCormick didn’t seem to do much to set the record straight and Plumb got upset. McCormick said that she tried to apologize to Plumb but then, when McCormick’s book came out in paperback, it all started up again.

Well, it turns out we won’t get to see the two former Brady siblings interact next week. Despite the segment being promoted on Friday’s show, it has now been cancelled. Susan Olsen got the call and shared the news on Friday afternoon. She said that she wasn’t told the reason but surmised that it was a problem with her TV sisters.

So, as it turns out, we’ll still get to see three classic TV families reunite — just not exactly the three we were expecting. To wrap up…
Monday: Eight is Enough
Tuesday: The Partridge Family
Thursday Wednesday: 227

If the reunions are made available online, we’ll be sure to post them.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear the Bradys won’t be getting back together for a cast reunion or does a 227 reunion excite you more?

Sidenote: we recently spoke with King and asked her a couple questions about 227, The Boondocks, and her current show, Southland. That interview will be posted soon.

3/2 UPDATE: On Tuesday, the Today hosts mentioned that the 227 cast would appear on Wednesday. The website still says Thursday. We’ll post the video whichever day the cast appears.

joan March 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I watched the Brady Bunch because my children loved it but 227 was always my
favorite. It had a certain appeal for me but the Brady Bunch was too trickly sweet

Herb Finn March 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm

The problem berween the “Brady Girls” have kept plans for a 40th animaversary reunion tv movie in limbo – and CBS/Paramount abd Sherwood and Llyod want to do it!

ND Mitchell March 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

I’m sorry but I would rather see the 227 reunion than the Brady Bunch. The Bradys have done soooooooo many reunions but this is very rare: 227. 227 was the show on Saturday nights back in the day with the other TV line-ups of the Facts of Life, Golden Girls, Empty Nest and Hunter and occasionally Carol & Company and Nurses. It will be good to see the cast especially since the loss of Alaina Reed Hall (Rose) and also the past loss of Helen Martin (Pearl) but to see Curtis Baldwin (Calvin) and Hal Williams (Lester) after all these years along with Regina King (Brenda), Marla Gibbs (Mary) and Jackee Harry (Sandra) is truly classic. Too bad Countess Vaughn (Alexandria) was not added to the reunion. I wish TV Land/TV One had a 227 marathon for Alaina’s character, Rose, with her storylines. Can’t wait to see it. Reminder–set DVR tonight for Thursday’s Today Show!

admin March 1, 2010 at 12:21 pm

@ND Mitchell: If you forget, we’re planning to post the video that morning.

Luanne March 3, 2010 at 6:32 am

I sooo agree, the Brady Bunch have done movies, reunion shows, books…I’ve seen enoughof them. Time to tbd some new “old blood” to reunite. Very much enjoyedsee the Partrodge Family yesterday, but I’m sorry Susan Day didn’t seem interested in doing it. Really enjoyed 227 today, everyone looks really good!

AuntieD March 1, 2010 at 8:42 am

While I like reunion shows, they don’t tug my heartstrings enough to buy the series on DVD, which I know is their general purpose. And yes, I do prefer The Brady Bunch over 227, even though I watched them both.

admin March 1, 2010 at 9:21 am

@AuntieD: In this case, the purpose of the reunions are to attract viewers to watch the Today Show. Unfortunately, Eight is Enough isn’t even available on DVD.

AuntieD March 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Well, there ya go. I sit corrected.

admin March 1, 2010 at 2:06 pm