24: Will the Series Be Cancelled or Continue for Season Nine?

24Could the clock be running out on Jack Bauer and company? Rumors are rapidly spreading that this could indeed be the final season of 24.

In approximately real time, 24 follows the exploits of heroic (and frequently tortured) Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) as he tries to save the country from all manner of terrorism. The current season features Mary Lynn Rajskub, Anil Kapoor, Annie Wersching, Cherry Jones, Chris Diamantopoulos, Freddie Prinze Jr., Jennifer Westfeldt, John Boyd, Katee Sackhoff, and Mykelti Williamson.

Once a huge ratings draw for FOX, viewership for 24 has declined over the years. At the same time, costs have risen. This season’s averaging a 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.83 million viewers.

Word is that FOX is preparing to end the veteran drama and the decision will be made in the next few days. Kevin Reilly, FOX’s President of Entertainment, has been unsure of the show’s future for awhile and as recently as last week said, “It’s a very tough call. It’s a huge part of our legacy, and there’s not a lot of shows that could do a 9 share against the Olympics. Tremendous sales asset for us still; a show we’re so very proud of creatively. So it’s not an easy call.”

Do you think 24 will move to a new network?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The studio is supposedly shopping the series to other outlets to see if there would be any interest. Considering the price and the age of the series, a move like that doesn’t seem likely.

THR recently mentioned the prospect to Angela Bromstad, NBC’s President of Primetime Entertainment. She didn’t feel it was likely given the cost but didn’t rule out the possibility either.

If 24 closes after eight seasons, fans can take consolation that the characters will, as expected, continue in movie form. Twentieth Century Fox recently hired screenwriter Billy Ray to write a feature film version. According to Variety, his idea is to take Jack Bauer to Europe. That idea is apparently already a hit with the executive producers and the studio.

If this is indeed the final season of 24, the studio likely wants to have enough time to promote the rest of this season as the final episodes of the season. It would also give the production team enough time to tweak the final episodes if needed.

What do you think? Do you think 24 will end this season or do you think that it could realistically move to another network?

Linda March 15, 2010 at 7:10 pm

This is the only show I MUST watch. The hour goes by so fast. would like to see the series continue.

Ronnie March 15, 2010 at 5:34 am

Seriously, this show has broken all the records there is to break in tv, won golden globes, won emmys, now i believe that they should give it one more year to end all the story lines that have been left hanging. We want one more season of 24 to say proper goodbye to JACK BAUER and hullo to 24 THE MOVIE FRANCHISE………..

crazy March 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm

maybe they just need a few new writers..

ellen lott March 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Never miss an episode. I agree that the beginning of this year’s show was somewhat weak but it has picked up in the last few shows. Hope it continues for a couple more seasons.

Melvin Spicer March 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I love this show. I sincerely hope that it continues on for at least two or three more seasons- at least! “24″ is far and away, the best series on television. I am looking forward to the next season- season 9, with great anticipation. Long live “24″! Long live Jack Bauer!

In addition, I am hopeful that we shall soon see a feature movie or two of “24″.

Terry Owen March 12, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I felt like it was slipping the first few episodes but the action has picked up and given me new hope for the rest of the season.

Terri March 12, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I’m a little mixed on this one. I love Jack and would like to see at least another season. It seems the plots are not as exciting as the earlier seasons, but I can’t stop watching. Maybe one more season will give the show a little more closure.

Doc March 11, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I love 24 but I say end it on a high note. This season hasn’t grabbed me like the other seasons and I just don’t want them to drag this great show into the dirt.

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 9:30 am

How dare Fox cancel this show! It’s by far one of the best on TV although I’m not feeling the Dana Walsh storyline . . . . too much time wasted on that. With last week’s episode, this is the 24 we’re all used to! I need to find out about the nuclear rods, Prez Hassan’s daughter’s evil boyfriend, etc. Can’t be true – I don’t care if it becomes a movie but I’ve been a loyal follower of this show since its beginning and so has my office!

admin March 11, 2010 at 9:54 am

@Anonymous: If it is cancelled, they’ll still finish this season.

Unknown March 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm

damn right im with u 100%

Joe Doc March 11, 2010 at 9:21 am

LOVE the show… but it’s time to put an end to it.

Looking forward to a movie, though. Diet Coke, Goobers, popcorn… and Jack! Perfect.

Roberta March 11, 2010 at 9:09 am

As much as I love Keifer (aka Jack Bauer) I think we have come to the end of the line. I will always remember it as a great show but I think it’s over. However, if they made a full length feature film called 24 I would certainly go se it.

Genise March 11, 2010 at 7:27 am

It should be and should have always been after the first season 24 days. Let’s be realistic no one and I mean no one can do all Jack Bauer can and does do in 24 hours. It could be an on going show almost forever. It is also to spread out over almost 22 or so weeks being that a couple are 2 hour episodes. A bit hard to follow even though it gives a brief update each week which eats up valuable time of the one hour allotted for it. These are issues that could and should be addressed I feel to make it better and it could go to Europe and still come back to the good old USA at a later date and do well. Personally I still love it, but changes need to be made in order to save it, but just my opinion.

Zack Bauer March 11, 2010 at 3:22 am

I do and always will love ’24′ but I’m just not feeling it this Season, I wouldn’t mind if this were the last season as long as they finish it correctly, I don’t need some unresolved cliff hanger ending because they thought they’d see another Season.

Mikey March 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm

1 More Season.

Cheryl Boddiford March 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Can’t believe that this may be a possibility! Best show on TV!!!!!