24: FOX Prez Says TV Series May End Soon; No Season Nine?

24Is the clock finally running out for Jack Bauer? According to Kevin Reilly, Fox Entertainment President, this season may be the last for Kiefer Sutherland’s oft-tortured hero.

At the recent TV Critic’s summer press tour, Reilly told iFmagazine that the upcoming season is the last one under the show’s current contract. And while Sutherland remains committed to the show, Reilly is unsure of its future.

“It’s our last contractual season of 24,” Reilly said. “There are a lot of moving parts, so we’re not sure what will happen after that.”

He continued, “We haven’t made any decision whether it’s back or not [after this upcoming season]. The producers are passionate, Kiefer is passionate and we don’t have any of them looking to jump ship. It’s a show we’re really proud of.”

Is it time for 24 to end as a weekly show?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Reilly concluded that, “It’s going to come down to a business decision. It’s not an inexpensive show on the network books and we also want to finish strong. This is not a show we want to prop up. It will be a whole creative and business discussion and something we’ll have to deal with over the next few months.”

Admittedly the show’s numbers have slipped a bit in the last couple seasons — from a high of 13.78 million in season five to 12.62 million in season seven — but did place 20th in overall viewers this year. In the end, it may be just too expensive for the network, especially considering that the contracts are up for renewal. Though the commercials for 24 are, next to American Idol, the most expensive in primetime, the network’s ad sales are also down about 16% from last year.

Reilly maintained that the show might still continue after next year but his initial comments align with the plans of 24 Executive Producer Howard Gordon. He wants to take Jack Bauer and company to theaters and, earlier this year, Gordon said, “My hope is to go [shoot the feature film] after the eighth season. That’s sort of what we’re aiming for. I think that a big-screen 24 will be a fitting send off for Jack.”

What do you think? Is it time for Jack to say goodbye to the small screen? Would you realistically pay to see a 24 movie?

Canceled and renewed TV show

92 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Matu says

I`m from Estonia, and I have to say that i am a big fan of this TV show. I can`t wait next season, hopefully it comes. Best show ever!!!

2. Jim says

Will definetly miss “24”. I believe each American desires a true American Patriot/or, hero representing them. Jack’s character represents this patriotism.

3. says

I love 24 I rush home and make sure everthing is done before 9:00 p.m. and at that time No One Is To SAY ONE WORD TO MY, THIS IS THE ONLY TIME IS WATCH T.V.
    I CAN’T BELEIVE 24 IS OVER,WHAT ARE WE 24 FAN TO DO? AND HOW CAN ANYONE THINK ABOUT ENDING THIS SERIES,
    DID ANYONE WATCH MISERY ? “PLEASE DON’T CANCELL 24″ SOB SOB SOB

4. Anonymous says

I would hate to see the weekly series of 24 come to an end….
    it is something I really enjoy…why do something worth watching come to an end????

5. MRS. SCHRAMM says

We look forward every Monday for this show to come on.. i don’t really like action things myself but i became addicted to 24 about 4 years ago … I love it! we really hope that it keeps going and has another season next year… i don’t know what we will do with out it :( so i would deff go see a movie at the theaters but would rather it keep going as is for a few more years .

6. Vicki & Ron says

We have loved 24! Esp. Jack Bauer and chloe! The woman president is very good, too. We are sorry for the show to end. We will definitely see the movie version of 24!
    Keifer, you are the best!!!

7. Steve says

To Jack Bauer aka Kiefer Sutherland:

What are you thinking??? Ok so you slipped in the ratings a tiny bit.. Geez.. does that warrant the closing up the season? NO… my wife and I are and have been avid watchers for a very long time and I’m certain we’re not alone..

If you guys cancel this show, my family and hundreds of thousands of fans are going to be outraged and demanding that the show return.. If it’s protesters you need marching in front of the studio then so be it.. I will organize that..

Let me be the first to PROTEST that you guys are even thinking about canceling this show.

Jack /Keifer, if you happen to read this, PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS.. Americans need your show..

Thanks for reading this..

8. Hillary says

24 is the best show by far on television. Me & my father sit down every Monday night, get our popcorn ready, and wait to see what Jack has up his sleeve!! It would be a shame to do away with such an action packed show!! Its not filled with trash & filth like everything else on TV. Keep 24 & Jack coming. We love it! = )

9. Cliff says

I have watched 24 from the first season. I have NEVER missed it. I make sure I am at home in time for it to come on and at times I will turn off my phone so I am not interrupted. I know I would go to the movies to watch a 24 movie on the big screen but that doesn’t mean that the show itself has to end. The drop in the ratings came during the writers strike and 12 million is still a very strong number. I know that this season will be there if not more. Kiefer is a great actor and he is the show. as long as he is able to do his part as Jack, let the show keep going. If you need a writer for the show, shoot, I will come on board. Anything to keep it on the air.

10. says

please continue “24” next season. Mondays would never be the same. That is 1 one the greatest shows on tv and i would really hate to see it leave.

11. Mike says

This is still the best program on TV. If Fox has any sense at all, they will renew it. It is still at the top of its game and is a major revenue getter for the network. Fox has the best news in the industry, it should keep the best, most intelligent drama series, as well.

12. James & Jeannie says

We love the show! No other show can make our heart rates increase like 24. Plain and simple, best show on TV. We can’t wait to see it every Monday. Hey we live in Michigan where winters are cold, Jack heats things up every week. Please don’t kill such a fantastic show. We love the fact there is no humor, no cute lines. Just great entertainment.