3 lbs: CBS Cancels the Stanley Tucci Medical Drama

3lbs on CBS has been canceledCBS has a problem on Tuesday nights at 10pm. Last season, the network aired Love Monkey with Tom Cavanagh (who previously starred in NBC’s Ed) in that spot. It lasted three episodes before being pulled off the schedule. They tried the quasi-reality show Tuesday Night Book Club but that only lasted two episodes. Close to Home also performed badly in the timeslot but was moved to Friday nights and survived. CBS started the current season with the Smith series. Though many felt it was one of the best new shows on television, Smith was yanked off the air after only three episodes. To fill the hole left by the Ray Liotta series, CBS inserted the midseason replacement show 3 lbs to take its place. And now, guess what?

3 lbs. (which incidentally refers to the weight of the human brain) debuted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006. Billed as “the next great medical drama,” the show followed the medical careers of the difficult brain surgeon Douglas Hanson (played by Stanley Tucci) and his protege surgeon Jonathan Seger, played by Mark Feurstein. Also part of the gifted medical team is calculating neurologist Dr. Adrianne Holland (Indria Varma) and intern Dr. Tom Flores (Armando Riesco).

By airing this show on Tuesday nights, one might guess that CBS execs were hoping people who watched the very popular House on FOX at 9pm, would then turn to CBS to watch 3 lbs at 10pm. That didn’t happen.

The first episode of this House-like show debuted to 9.8 million viewers. The ratings have been dropping ever since. The second episode was watched by 9.2 million and the third episode was watched by 7.9 million viewers – prompting CBS to pull the doctor series immediately. The special 9pm episode of 3 lbs. that was scheduled for December 5th (entitled “Disarming”), has been replaced by an episode of The Unit. Repeats of CBS crime dramas will take the 10pm timeslot for the foreseeable future after that.

Eight episodes of the series have been filmed thus far, leaving five episodes unaired. Though CBS has not called this a cancellation, no further episodes will be produced and its highly unlikely that 3 lbs. will be given another primetime timeslot. Because of the public outcry, CBS has released all episodes of Smith on its website, for download via Amazon.com, and the show will possibly be released on DVD. It looks unlikely that 3 Lbs. will receive the same treatment.

It’s interesting to note that 3 lb.’s overall audience numbers have been lower than Smith’s, the show it replaced. Somewhere, I suspect Smith fans are quietly smiling. TV Series Finale home page

Mimi January 14, 2007 at 8:41 pm

3 lbs. We watched this show and really like it. It’s on auto record on our Tivo.
Who counts the beans there anyway. They missed us

angie January 14, 2007 at 4:42 pm

I loved 3lbs. I feel that this show should be brought back.. Shame on CBS, I will now watch another network….

Cory January 13, 2007 at 10:57 pm

An extremely well acted, engaging show that I made sure I watched live and now I find out that it has been cancelled. Again as many have already said a very bad decision by CBS-This had mega potential and they never gave it a chance. Is CBS trying to force us to watch other networks??

Andey January 12, 2007 at 4:07 pm

I agree with all of the previous posts. 3lbs was a great show. It reminded me a little of Chicago Hope (remember that one) and ER back in the beginning. I watched House then flipped over to watch 3 lbs. I really liked the way Stanley Tucci played Dr. Hansen. No he was not House but a fine performance. I hope CBS gives it another chance.

Theresa January 9, 2007 at 8:39 pm

I’m tired of the “regular” channels canceling a show that is great! They complain that their viewer numbers are down. Can’t imagine why????

Stanley Tucci-find a dish/cable channel for your show! I will be there!

debbie January 9, 2007 at 6:21 pm

I googled 3 lbs. to see when the next episode would be released. Much to my dismay, it has been cancelled! What gives? This was a great program with greater potential if given half a chance. Oh well, what does CBS know. Duh …
Zzzzzzzzz

maria January 8, 2007 at 5:36 pm

I wish they would at least let us that liked the show have access to the 5 unaired episodes.
BRING IT BACK!!!!

Heidi January 4, 2007 at 9:58 pm

So after a few weeks, I went to CBS.com to to see if 3 lbs was returning to the Tube, but did not see anything> I was really happy to see all these very sad people on this website…

So, I decided to send this link to CBS and request that they do the following…

Are you bringing back 3 lbs. Put it in another time slot and just show re-runs of CSI at 10pm on Tuesdays…Or move CSI…It has a strong following.

I beg you to put 3 lbs in the CSI time slot (instead of running a “CSI re-run”) and see what happens. PLEASE!!!!

Also look at these comments, you have alot of people upset that this show is gone!!

Does your “Neilson Rating-Tracker”, know when your fans are recording the show on their DVR/Tivo? Something to think about….!

Keep complaining maybe we can bring it back…Also send Feedback to CBS too…

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Shelley January 4, 2007 at 7:51 pm

I cannot believe this show was cancelled. it was a very good drama and had intelligent writers and actors. it’s as good as house or maybe even better. it needs to be given a chance. i still cannot believe its cancelled.

Barbara (Austin, TX) December 30, 2006 at 9:55 pm

3 Lbs was a great show. Usually it takes months for a new show’s characters to develop. Stanley Tucci was great. Please get rid of the insulting sitcoms and bring back 3 Lbs. I watched the first 3 shows and have been waiting for more. I finally checked the internet just to find out it is gone! You’ve got to be kidding!!!

J. Martinez December 28, 2006 at 2:01 pm

The case of 3lbs, in my opinion, posseses an ensemble quality in addition to individual talent. It is/was entertaining and intellingent, and should be given a chance.

JD December 24, 2006 at 4:48 am

I am very mad that 3lbs was cancelled. This is/was a great show. I also suffer from seizures. So I can really relate to the show. Only giving it three episodes is stupid. The show was excellent and informative. CBS please bring it back, or atleast release all the episodes on DVD.

Unstable December 23, 2006 at 1:52 pm

This is a message about Kidnapped & 3 LBs. We loved both of those programs. Wish you could put them on at different times and see how they do?

Please reconsider your decission on both of these programs. I have seizures & have had a brain tumor removed.
I find 3 LBs very interesting +++ we do like Kidnapped just don’t drag it out with one person being kidnapped.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to ALL!

Rhoni Cooper December 20, 2006 at 2:57 pm

Well! I have been wondering about my favorite show, “3 Lbs”. I decided to google the series and came upon this website (which has been added to my favorites!). I am absolutely appalled that such a well-written, intense and, to say the least, interesting series had been cancelled!

CBS didn’t give it a fair chance!

What’s wrong with this picture??? When I was younger, we would all gather ’round the tv to watch our favorite melodramas. If you’re not showing nudity, violence, language and the infamous reality show, forget about it!

I thought this series would be a hit! I added it to my dvr list before the first episode.
Talk about shooting down my confidence! Whew!

Hopefully, if they don’t reconsider, it will be available on dvd because I will be pre-ordering my copy!

I normally don’t post, but this was definitely an exception!

Happy Holidays 2 All!

jeremy December 19, 2006 at 7:41 pm

sad.

I was really into this show and it’s a shame they are going to fill the spot with more mind-less machismo trash. Perhaps we CBS should get to work on CSI-Boise or The Backup Unit.

It’s really sad to think that they’ll spend millions of dollars to produce 8 episodes of a show and only air 3 and call it quits.

dvd or at least itunes would make for a great outlet for similar shows with lower ‘success’ rates.

reconsideration would be good!