7th Heaven: Stephen Collins Talks Series Finales, Ratings, and a Camden Reunion

Stephen CollinsDo you miss the Camdens — the ever-expanding family from 7th Heaven? The series was cancelled in 2007 after 11 seasons — 10 years on the WB, the final one on CW — and at least one of the series’ stars is interested in a reunion.

The show was actually due to end in 2006, mainly because of high production costs. The 10th season finale featured a wedding and a family reunion and former castmembers Barry Watson and Jessica Biel were on hand to help the show say goodbye. At the last minute, execs changed their minds and decided to renew 7th Heaven to help kick off the new CW network.

The show’s budget had to be cut for season 11 and, as a result, several regular castmembers weren’t in every episode. For the first time, the Camden household occasionally felt a little empty. Though the show’s ratings were still pretty good by the end of the season, the series was cancelled for real in May 2007. The true series finale concluded with the Camden clan taking a cross-country road-trip together. This episode was shot before the cancellation news was announced so it doesn’t have the same sentimental touches as the season 10 finale. Not surprisingly, this one wasn’t quite as fulfilling to many longtime viewers.

Which finale does the 7th Heaven cast prefer? We had the opportunity to pose that question to series star Stephen Collins recently and he said, “Dramatically, for me and I think for those of us who were in it, [we prefer] the actual finale — the 11th season. I thought that was a stronger episode. The “first time” finale of year 10 did bring everyone back but they sort of “threw them all up on the stage” in kind of a hodge-podge way and it wasn’t very credible — but it was nice to have Jessica Biel back and Barry Watson. That was fun, really fun, and I think that was maybe more fun for the viewers. But, from an acting point of view, I liked the way we went out when we actually went out.”

Which 7th Heaven finale did you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though many believed that it was the high ratings of the 10th season finale that earned 7th Heaven a reprieve, Collins says it was more than that. He continued, “It wasn’t just that the finale of the 10th season did well. It did do very well. It was that, when the whole 10th season numbers were done and here was the CW creating a network out of the WB and UPN, we had once again, for the entire season, been the highest-rated show on both networks.”

Collins recently told TV Guide that he didn’t feel like the new CW network really “got” the family drama, saying, “I don’t think they understood what they had, because they sort of inherited us.”

Though there haven’t been any recent discussions of a 7th Heaven reunion show, Collins would certainly be open to doing one and thinks it would be best suited for a family-friendly cable outlet like the Hallmark Channel. The actor says, “We talked about [a follow-up movie] before the series ended, and I think had the WB stayed in existence they probably would have made those deals before the show ended. I hope it happens. It’d be fun to go back there.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Rachel January 2, 2010 at 11:08 am

please, id love a 7th heaven reunion…..how amazing would that be

Lucho November 26, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Hi, where i can watch the serie on-line? It was the best!!!

Mathew November 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I want to see a 7th Heaven Reunion coming up before the ending of this year.

Maria October 29, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I think that 7th heaven should totally be brought back because it has good family values and traditions, and it is relatable to almost anyone. By watching 7th heaven, I haved learned so many lessons from it, You have to live each day as if it were your last and be thankful for the people you have in your life because you never know when you can lose it all. I love watching 7th Heaven because it reminds me of the important things in life(:

Debbie October 27, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I really could not believe it when they took the show off the air. I was devistated. I agree with all the previous comments. 7th
Heaven is one of the only shows I have ever really been able to relate to. In this society, People need to be reminded of how things can be and how we should or could approach them. I really do hope for the return of 7th Heaven. They have soaps that have been around for years. whether it be a reunion or movie I am good with either. Just a lil tidbit, I just watched the final episode in series #8
and the air date was May 17 2004. My Mom passed away that morning. Unable to see that or the rest of the series. She was the
best. she loved the show too.

Barbara Refior October 17, 2009 at 10:37 am

7th Heaven is my favorite tv series. I wish they would have a reunion show with all
the original cast. I also hope they keep the reruns on tv. I enjoy watching them over
and over again. This is a good show – so refreshing in contrast to most of the God-
less shows on tv that are available. It is refreshing that a family actually goes to church
and trys to live a christian life and protrays good morals. We need more shows like
this one

Gabeeh (Philippines) June 21, 2009 at 9:48 am

i think there should be a 12th season for a real closure on Ruthie gradutation, Simon’s marriage, and Lucy’s having another baby. Since it is 2 years past, I guess the cast would be a little older and so new twists should be in the story.

FreeSpirit June 17, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I’d love a reunion, but only if all the original cast members return.

tresa March 14, 2009 at 4:15 pm

me eencantava esta serie besos teresa lo iso mi

megan bates February 21, 2009 at 10:08 am

i like love 7th heaven it is my fav show but i have seen da searies like 10 times waiting for the reuinion please make one

Kathy December 7, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I love 7th Heaven – would like to have all 11 seasons on CD. The best ever would be to bring the series back or have a mini series. The series touches my heart like no other television series.

NANCY D. December 7, 2008 at 8:49 am

I HAVE ENJOYED ALL OF THE 7 TH SHOWES…IN THIS UPSIDE DOWN WORLD WHERE EVERY ONE IS FIGHTING WITH EVERYONE….IT IS NICE TO TURN ON TV ANDSEE THIS FAMILY LIVING THE WAY SOME OF US LIVE AND IF MORE PEOPLE WOULD WATCH THIS SHOW THEY TO WOULD SEE WHAT EVERY ONE ELSE SEE’S.
PLEASE,PLEASE BRING BACK THE BEST SHOW SINCE OZZY AND HARRIET.
NANCY D.

Brittany November 10, 2008 at 6:10 pm

7th Heaven is my favorite show in the world. I would be so happy if there is a TV movie or even better than that, a 12th season. Bring 7th Heaven back please!

Danielle October 6, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I love 7th Heaven so much,
I live there real life stories.
The characters are so easy to relate to and are interesting to watch:)

7TH HEAVEN COME BACK :)