A Gifted Man: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed?

A Gifted Man canceled or renewedWill A Gifted Man be cancelled or renewed for a second season? As the show winds down for 2011-12, that’s the big question for fans of the CBS TV series. In a recent interview, executive producer Neal Baer shared his thoughts but first, let’s look at the show’s ratings.

For those who came in late, A Gifted Man revolves around a self-absorbed and talented surgeon who starts questioning the purpose of his life when he’s visited by the spirit of his deceased ex-wife. The cast includes Patrick Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The series debuted back in September to a disappointing 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.45 million total viewers. The premiere matched now-cancelled Medium’s 2010 opener in the demo but did improve in total viewership. Week two saw Gifted Man drop to a 1.2 in the demo and 8.18 million. The numbers stayed at those levels for several weeks but then perked up to a 1.3 in the demo.

The season to date has a 1.3 average and 8.34 million total viewers. It’s easily the network’s weakest drama — in both the demo and total viewership — even when the Friday night timelot is taken into account. Medium was cancelled with a 1.4 demo average. With an abundance of stronger programming, A Gifted Man is certain to be cancelled after all 16 episodes have aired.

TV show supportIn speaking with TV Guide, Baer however remains optimistic and shared, “[CBS] really likes the show, and we haven’t talked about the future at all except trying to just do great episodes… They’re very supportive of the show and I know they really like it, so we’re very hopeful about coming back in the fall.”

Because Baer and company are betting that the show won’t be cancelled, some storylines will be left unresolved in the season finale. Baer noted, “There’s plenty to hope for and wonder about… There are definitely questions about what will happen in relationships in the future.”

What do you think? Do you think that A Gifted Man should be cancelled or renewed for season two? Should the storylines have been wrapped up in the season (likely series) finale?

Sherri October 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I Loved this show. I miss it. I wish it would return to TV

gloryann October 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

I loved A Gifted Man and am so sorry it isn’t returning. So much junk on TV….and then a good show like this isn’t appreciated and renewed. So sad!!!!

Debbie September 30, 2012 at 5:46 am

My husband and I enjoyed the show and have been looking forward to the new season.

Maryanne September 25, 2012 at 7:51 am

I also loved the show

Janet Jennett September 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

This is one of the best shows on TV. But since those wonderful shows, like Honey Boo Boo, the Kardassians, Hoggers etc command such huge ratings, I truly understand why a quality show is not picked up by the networks. What is wrong with American television viewers? Have they no class at all? CBS you should be ashamed for cancelling quality!

As this was compared with Medium, I want to say that I miss that show too. It was great, the acting was wonderful, and the plot lines intriguing.

That’s my feeling and I am sticking to it.

Janet Jennett

rose September 17, 2012 at 8:11 pm

My husband and I was looking so forward to its return…I am so disappointed it wont be back….please bring it back. I agree its always the stupid shows that remain on the air…I just don’t understand that.

Greg Younge September 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm

its a shame that when you put out good shows like giftd man that some crappy so called funny entertainment takes its place . if you people keep this up its gonna git to where no one watches CBS

Karen September 13, 2012 at 7:25 am

I hope to see this show return!!! My family loved this show, especially my son. We will be greatly disappointed to see this cancelled, especially the way it ended last season. All the good shows always great the boot. Why?

Joe Reed September 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

My wife and I love the show..You need to give it a chance. to gain momentum

Dedra September 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Please do not cancel, I love this show, watched it every Friday night. I really enjoyed it, BRING IT BACK. PLEASE

Letitia Trice September 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Please DO NOT CANCEL A GIFTED MAN.I watched it every Friday night.I also set the DVR when I was out.It is such a great show.

Karen September 13, 2012 at 7:26 am

We did too!!!!

barbara September 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

A Gifted Man is a good show. It needs a better time slot.

Marcia Thompson August 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This is one of the best shows on TV. DO NOT CANCEL. With all the total trash on TV now, this show tops them all.

AMANDAGATLIN August 28, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I THINK YOU SHOULD CONTUINE TO MAKE A GIFTED MAN I THINK IT IS A REALLY GOOD TV SHOW AND IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE TV SHOW TO WATCH PLEASE CONTUINE TO MAKE IT PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT OFF IT IS THE BEST AND I THINK IT IS A GREAT TV SHOW THANKS

Sheila August 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

We love the show. We enjoy the caring and knowledge of the doctor. I can’t understand why this show would be cancelled and those stupid sitcoms remain. We made sure we were always home to view the show.