A Gifted Man: Cancelled, No Season Two

season two Gifted Man canceledPatrick Wilson and company won’t be back for a second season. CBS has cancelled A Gifted Man, their low-rated Friday night drama.

Revolving around a talented but arrogant doctor who’s visited by the ghost of his ex-wife, A Gifted Man ran for 16 episodes on CBS. The show features the talents of Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The TV series got off to an unimpressive start back in September, registering a 1.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic with 9.45 million total viewers. In week two, the demo fell 14%, to a 1.2 rating.

Should A Gifted Man have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers for later episodes fluctuated up and down — even occasionally outperforming the series premiere — but were never very strong. For the show’s final few episodes, CBS moved it into the 9pm timeslot but it didn’t do as well as previous timeslot occupant CSI: NY.

The last episode of the season (and series aired) on March 2nd and was Gifted Man’s best overall series performance, registering a 1.5 in the demo with 9.70 million total viewers. On our CBS Ratings Report Card, which measures the relaive success of shows on the network, A Gifted Man had a “D-” rating right from the start.

In Gifted Man’s former timeslot, CBS tried airing episodes of reality series Undercover Boss. It performed significantly better and cost much less to produce. Gifted Man’s fate had been sealed.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Gifted Man won’t be back for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on? Did you like or dislike the “supernatural” aspect of the series?

bob November 26, 2014 at 1:59 am

liked it a lot on Netflix stupid networks… bring it back please

Amie November 21, 2014 at 6:36 am

I never heard of this show in 2012 when it was on the air, which is surprising because I LOVE medical shows like this, but I found it on Netflix awhile back and couldn’t stop watching it until i’d watched every episode! I LOVED it. Now a year or more later, I’m watch it all over again and STILL love it! I don’t understand why such a great show got cancelled after one season unless it was poor strategy on the part of the Network. If ratings were poor on Friday nights, move it to another night,different time, promote it more, and make a more informed decision. But it’s a GREAT show! It was certainly good enough to respect the actors more than to notify them with a text message! PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

I’d like to know why Patrick Wilson says the show “wasn’t what he signed on for”. I haven’t read anything online about conflicts between him and the network or other actors. In fact, there’s surprisingly little info online about ANYTHING on this show except the cancellation?

Abby November 13, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Bring it backk!!!

B. November 9, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Hi! I’m from the Netherlands and i really loved this show! Season 1 was on the tv last year and i think it’s a shame that it’s the first and last season. Just bring it back on! It didn’t have the ending that people wanted, so you have to get at least a proper ending by doing a second (and 3th and 4th etc.) season! We just wanna see Michael and Kate together haha! I hope there’s a season 2 in the making!!!!

Margot December 2, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Please bring it back, I really liked the show also over here in the Netherlands

Timothy November 2, 2014 at 3:40 am

I recently found A Gifted Man series online. What a WONDERFUL show. I do not understand why it was cancelled. It had good acting, characters. story lines and character growth. This show needs to be returned to broadcast TV.

mamabear October 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Please bring back “A Gifted Man.”

Alison Michael October 6, 2014 at 5:19 am

Please please bring back a gifted man I stumbled across it one nite while not sleeping and got hooked straight away, I recorded the series as not to miss it as it was on after 2am in the UK, so I ask again please bring it back

sylvia verheyen August 28, 2014 at 10:14 am

please please please give me more seasons of a gifted man !! I love it !!!!

steve August 18, 2014 at 8:50 am

A Gifted Man – just seen… I like to watch shows that I know nothing about. This was outstanding. A combo of Bones meets House IMHO… Saw the last ep and immediately went to IMDB and was shocked to see it was not last year rather several years old and that it was canceled. Jolly bad show guys…. YOUR action not A Gifted Man!!! Replace it with Under Cover Boss. hmmmm

Well we see that your audience level is not mine. Will consider not watching your production now I understand your audience level! A shame really as I could see it go like Numb3rs, House, and Bones….

Having said the above thank you for producing the show. Sort of like Christmas only someone knocked over St Nick…

Cerquita Carr August 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

I really think its a good show. I am watching it on Netflix. I believe it didn’t make it one because one it was on Friday nights of all nights people have other shows watching them, two because people may not knew about it, not advertised enough. I myself didn’t know or never seen any advertisements.

Anonymous October 19, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I absolutely loved the show I wish they would make a season 2345 etc. I was very disappointed that there was not another season please bring this back!! I like the way they used real life medicine and explained how things worked it made it realistic.

Reggie July 31, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Season 1 didn’t end so nice to have it cancelled all of a suddend!
Please start season 2 guys and make a very good show.
It doesn’t matter how much lives you safe but its the effort you make that counts.
By doing that as a great doctor it’s gifted to any doctor making the right choice.
Everybody cares about the death’s that past away but it gets scary when you really
can talk to the dead. I was longing to see more for a ghost to inspire a doctor what he
is missing in his daily savings ;) Good luck Guys. I still got hope for season 2 to come again :)