A Gifted Man: Cancelled, No Season Two

season two Gifted Man canceledPatrick Wilson and company won’t be back for a second season. CBS has cancelled A Gifted Man, their low-rated Friday night drama.

Revolving around a talented but arrogant doctor who’s visited by the ghost of his ex-wife, A Gifted Man ran for 16 episodes on CBS. The show features the talents of Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The TV series got off to an unimpressive start back in September, registering a 1.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic with 9.45 million total viewers. In week two, the demo fell 14%, to a 1.2 rating.

Should A Gifted Man have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers for later episodes fluctuated up and down — even occasionally outperforming the series premiere — but were never very strong. For the show’s final few episodes, CBS moved it into the 9pm timeslot but it didn’t do as well as previous timeslot occupant CSI: NY.

The last episode of the season (and series aired) on March 2nd and was Gifted Man’s best overall series performance, registering a 1.5 in the demo with 9.70 million total viewers. On our CBS Ratings Report Card, which measures the relaive success of shows on the network, A Gifted Man had a “D-” rating right from the start.

In Gifted Man’s former timeslot, CBS tried airing episodes of reality series Undercover Boss. It performed significantly better and cost much less to produce. Gifted Man’s fate had been sealed.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Gifted Man won’t be back for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on? Did you like or dislike the “supernatural” aspect of the series?

Mimi Detsr July 29, 2014 at 9:13 pm

This was a great show. So disappointed it was cancelled. With all the other garbage on TV these days, I cant believe this did mot make it over reality shows and Undercover Boss. Part of the problem may have been that it was aired on Friday nights.

Peter July 28, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I have seen now 6 episodes in the Netherlands and think it’s a very good serie with till now a good plot in every episode.

lou July 20, 2014 at 10:10 am

EVERY TIME THERE IS A GOOD SHOW ON, IT GETS CANCELLED, I LOVED THAT SHOW

Dana July 19, 2014 at 2:31 am

Terrible and sad. It is an fantastic serie. You guys make a great serie like this and killed it in its prime. Olny for money. But there are people like us how really understand and loves series like this, “A Gifted Man”. You guys suck. Real concept bad execution.

RJ July 18, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Hey I just watched this series here in Australia.
It was great really fresh compared to predictable NCIS etc
It sure does beat the other stupid shows like Biggest Loser, Master chef etc.
It had a great cast and story line ( I can’t say I liked the weird Voodoo guy Anton & stuff, but I guess there are some people who believe that – I reckon they could leave that out).
Too bad they canned it, I was searching online but nothing, gone :-(
Oh well let them keep feeding the masses their mind dulling garbage – Swamp People, Wildest car chases, Pawn stars etc etc. All Shallow Cabbage food.

mimmi June 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

sorry to hear that there will be no season two?!?!

Sallie June 9, 2014 at 7:23 pm

This is a great ,great show.Please bring it back!!!!

Anonymous June 15, 2014 at 5:41 pm

i would of liked to see what happens to anna’s ghost at least,really good show and im not one for drama’s

Lisa June 2, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I just finished watching on Netflix too and I am so disappointed. I hadn’t heard of the show before until I saw it on Netflix. Not surprised but still disappointed in the networks. I know it is cheaper for a so-called “reality” show (if any of them are real) but I still hope for them to take the higher road to bring standards up instead of lowering them. I will miss it…

Sally June 2, 2014 at 4:59 pm

My husband and I just finished Season one of “A Gifted Man” and we are also very disappointed there is no Season two. This was a good series.

Catherine Biondi May 19, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I just finished watching A Gifted Man on Netflix, and I LOVED it. I can’t believe it was cut. Bad decision, CBS.

Carrie May 12, 2014 at 1:57 pm

What the hell were they thinking when they took the best show ever off the air!!! Finally something good with real meaning comes along and they just yanked it right out from under us!

Paige May 8, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Just finished A Gifted Man season I on Netflix. Quite possibly the best show I have wanted to watch in a very long time. I LOVED the emotions that this show brought out in the viewer. Also the mystical spiritual side that conflict with the arrogant side of human nature. Would have loved the show to have been continued …It was a good one!

Bea April 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Way to go CBS execs! A gifted man was a cut above anything in the time slot. It was blessed with a great story line, excellent cast, portraying both ends of the social spectrum in an elegant, thoughtful way. The dumbing- down of television is horrendous, Duck people, swamp people, honey boo boo! Could we please have a season 2, before I throw AGAIN!!!

Raymond Irizarry April 23, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I’m really sad to hear about the cancellation. My wife and me were very involved and excited about the series. When we started looking for the second season and found that it was cancel, we felt. very sad about it. Can hardly wait to hear it’s back.