A Gifted Man: Cancelled, No Season Two

season two Gifted Man canceledPatrick Wilson and company won’t be back for a second season. CBS has cancelled A Gifted Man, their low-rated Friday night drama.

Revolving around a talented but arrogant doctor who’s visited by the ghost of his ex-wife, A Gifted Man ran for 16 episodes on CBS. The show features the talents of Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The TV series got off to an unimpressive start back in September, registering a 1.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic with 9.45 million total viewers. In week two, the demo fell 14%, to a 1.2 rating.

Should A Gifted Man have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers for later episodes fluctuated up and down — even occasionally outperforming the series premiere — but were never very strong. For the show’s final few episodes, CBS moved it into the 9pm timeslot but it didn’t do as well as previous timeslot occupant CSI: NY.

The last episode of the season (and series aired) on March 2nd and was Gifted Man’s best overall series performance, registering a 1.5 in the demo with 9.70 million total viewers. On our CBS Ratings Report Card, which measures the relaive success of shows on the network, A Gifted Man had a “D-” rating right from the start.

In Gifted Man’s former timeslot, CBS tried airing episodes of reality series Undercover Boss. It performed significantly better and cost much less to produce. Gifted Man’s fate had been sealed.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Gifted Man won’t be back for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on? Did you like or dislike the “supernatural” aspect of the series?

George March 24, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I loved A Gifted Man, and think it was probably just too cerebral for many of today’s TV viewers. No one seems to want serious, witty, gritty drama anymore. The writing was sharp, and each episode was very interesting. I did think that the supernatural aspect of the show could eventually get old, or limit the possibilities for future episodes.

I really wish they would bring this intelligent program back.

Kennette Day March 13, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I didn’t know the show was on tv until I got it on Netflix. It is a great show. Can’t understand why it didn’t catch on. I’m so disappointed there will not be a season 2.

Marilu March 16, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Omg! What do you mean you cancelled season 2?!!!! We love this show! I didn’t know it existed until I saw it on Netflix. Why in the world would you put it on Friday night? I think it would have done better on another day. I love all the aspects of the show, the characters, the lines… all! It’s sad there won’t be a season 2 :-( Could you by any chance reconsider ?????

Anonymous February 26, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Very disappointed! I love this show. Maybe theyvahould have put it on a different day. Why do they always cancel a clean cut show but keep making others ones forever! Very sad

Izzy February 23, 2014 at 12:04 pm

What the hell – NOOO!!!
I got this show finally in my country (I´m from Europe and it is on air just recently) and now as I searched for when the second season will start, I get told that the series is off???
That is so not fair!
I loved that show! It was well made, intellectual (with all that medical vocabulary), and the characters are so lovely kind and funny (not like the everyday stuff – you kicked me I kick you, murders, tortures and so on). I really liked the way the main character always searched for a (medical) reason for his hallucination and still did not find one xD.
So the HELL NO – I don´t want it to be cancelled!

ESCOLANO NICOLE November 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm

J ‘ESPERE QU’IL Y AURA D’AUTRES SAISONS POUR “A GIFTED MAN” QUI EST VRAIMENT LA MEILLEURE SERIE MEDICALE PAR LES THEMES VARIES, SA PROXIMITE AVEC L’HUMAIN, DES PERSONNAGES ATTACHANTS PAR DE SUPERS ACTEURS ET ACTRICES.. JE REGRETTE DOULOUREUSEMENT L’ARRET DE CETTE SERIE.. J’ESPERE QUE VOUS SONGEREZ A LA SAISON 2 POUR NOTRE PLUS GRANDE JOIE.. MERCI POUR LA SAISON 1. CORDIALEMENT.
Excuse me please for my french language..

Janice November 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm

This was a great show! Friday night was not the best time for it.
I still miss al the characters and the story lines.

Sandy October 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I will greatly miss this show! :-(

Anonymous October 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I was familiarizing myself on the medical side of the show. Am I the only one who thought Patrick Wilson could have played “Hud” (Paul Newman) brother? It only took me four days to watch all sixteen episodes. Very humane show. Nothing R or PG13 about it. I
Is it a wonder that it was cancelled!!!

Jane Gagner October 16, 2013 at 2:30 am

It’s different, well written and acted. I like different and enjoyable and that’s what this show is. I’ve been getting disgusted with TV because it’s always the same stories…FBI, Police, Doctors or the new and stupid “reality shows”. My husband calls it the dumbing down of America.
I want intelligent, well written and good entertainment and that was one thing this show was. I’m so tired of losing the good shows to the safe and mundanely stupid ones.

Içonvinced October 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Im convinced that smth was wrong with the advertise for this serial. Is one of the most beautyful an educative i ever seend.
I don’t belive there are no second season:|

mel September 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Gutted there wont be a second series. Just finished the first as I’d recorded it on sky plus. Really enjoyed it. Please bring it back!!

Kare September 11, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Still stubbornly holding out that one of the better cable networks will pick it up *tears* and rewatching DVD

aly August 10, 2013 at 4:09 pm

We (my parner & I) are disappointed we wont see season 2of gifted man, it was great just started watching rerun of 1st season. please bring it back!

Karen August 4, 2013 at 2:07 am

I really miss this show and still think about it. 8/3/2013

Dan Speer July 22, 2013 at 1:48 am

Im shocked such a wonderful show wont continue!! I loved the show and will sorely miss it. I keep watching the 1st season.