A Gifted Man: CBS Orders Three More Episodes

A Gifted Man TV seriesThough it’s pulled in less-than-impressive ratings, CBS has ordered three additional episodes of A Gifted Man.

Airing on Friday nights, A Gifted Man revolves around a talented and self-absorbed upscale surgeon (Patrick Wilson) who begins to change his view on life when he’s visited by the ghost of his dead ex-wife (Jennifer Ehle). Others in the series include Julie Benz, Liam Aiken, Margo Martindale, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, and Eriq La Salle.

The newbie series has been averaging a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.35 million viewers. It’s the lowest-rated show on the network and has been doing worse in the all-important demo than now-cancelled Medium did a year earlier. On the positive side however, Gifted Man typically pulls in twice as many viewers as the show’s competitors on any of the other networks.

CBS has ordered three additional episodes of A Gifted Man, bringing the season total to 16 installments. That’s a far cry from a full season order and, unless things improve, it’s difficult to imagine that the network will order a second season.

TV show supportThree of the network’s other new shows — 2 Broke Girls, Person of Interest and Unforgettable — received full season pickups while How To Be A Gentleman was quickly cancelled. CBS hasn’t announced their mid-season schedule yet so it’s unknown what the network will put in A Gifted Man’s timeslot when the series has completed its run.

What do you think? Should CBS order more episodes of A Gifted Man or cancel it when the current season is finished?

Canceled and renewed TV show

137 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Lisa Giordano-Thomas says

CBS PLEASE, reconsider allowing “A Gifted man” for another season of this show…perhaps on another night? Friday night at 8:00pm. and then @ 9:00pm. aren’t known for the BEST TIME to air any show…especially a NEW show! Maybe it would do better on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, since there isn’t much to watch on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.(???) My husband and I looked forward to Friday nights’ because of the show. We normally would have gone out on Friday night, but started watching the show and changed our “night out” to Saturday night instead. I don’t consider 8.35 million viewersto be too shabby either…(I’m sure it would be double that on a different night.) You should just change the night if that’s an issue, (or I’m still okay with Friday nights) but, if it’s not good enough for you…just change the night! Just DON’T cancel the show!!! Give it another season, at least. It happens to be one of your better shows! I like it (A Gifted Man) BETTER than several of your BEST SHOWS, that you air…even though they are in my top 10! PLEASE…JUST DON’T CANCEL “A GIFTED MAN” …It’s a great (medical) drama….and way too good, to just be “cancelled!!” I know this is kind of late but, I just didn’t even think it was under consideration for being dropped until now.

• says

Please do not cancel A Gifted Man it is such a good show, you have plenty of orther shows that should be cancelled i will not mention any of the shows but their are at least three shows.So please keep the show on.

2. Robert says

Please leave this show on the air. It’s a great show with compelling characters. It’s a shame that the standards of today’s audience has gone so low that good programs like A Gifted Man will be sacrificed form more slapstick, low intellect comedies.

3. Susan says

I love this show! So sorry it may be taken off the air. The stories are interesting and the cast is outstanding. The networks don’t know quality when they have it staring them in the face.

4. Susan says

An excellent show and an intelligent one. Very well acted and believable, despite the visitation of his ex-wife from the “beyond.” It would be a shame to cancel this show, which depicts socially relevant issues which speak to those of all ages.

5. Sandy says

I have watched and recorded every show. It is very good and I have been passing on the information ABOUT THIS SHOW. PLEASE GIVE IT A CHANCE1

6. V Erben says

Please DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW…IT IS THE BEST ON THE AIR IN AGES!!! THERE ARE SO MANY BAD SHOWS THAT SHOULD BE CANCELLED…THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. IT WOULD BE A HUGE MISTAKE IF YOU TAKE THIS SHOW OFF…

7. Debby Christy says

Darn! I look forward to every Friday evening just to watch this show! I love the whole premise. The idea of the ex-wife’s presence in his life is fascinating (since he obviously hasn’t let go of her memory!) And now that his new love interest is taking shape, I would be very disappointed if we don’t see how that develops. If cancellation has to be, please make the last three episodes worth it! (Do the old Neilson ratings dictate these kinds of decisions? Surely there is a better gauge than that arcane method.)

8. linda says

I look forward to watching this show every week. It has a lot of depth. Will be extremely disappointed if its cancelled.

9. Jill Buyan says

Please do not cancel this outstanding program. Change the evening and/or time but leave one of the best shows in years in your line-up for next year.

Jill Buyan

10. Joyce Haas says

It is my new favorite show. please don’t cancel……Give it a chance, I just started watching it.