ABC Renews Nine Shows for 2008-2009, What About the Rest?

Womens Murder ClubWith the writers strike wrapping up, the networks are trying to figure out what they can salvage from the current season. ABC is wasting no time and has given early renewal notices to four freshman series and five older ones. But, will we have to wait until Fall 2008 to see new episodes?

Stephen McPherson, the president of ABC Entertainment, said, “The strength of our schedule this fall was unprecedented and speaks for itself. We’re looking forward to building on that success.”

The lucky series are Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Dirty Sexy Money, Grey’s Anatomy, Lost, Private Practice, Pushing Daisies, Samantha Who?, and Ugly Betty. None are a big surprise, with possible exception of Money. No word on how many episodes will be ordered of each.

ABC hasn’t indicated which shows will return sooner rather than later. It’s expected though that Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, Samantha Who?, and Ugly Betty will go back into production with new episodes to air by spring. There are still six unaired pre-strike episodes of Lost and it looks like more will be added. On the flipside, we probably won’t see new episodes of Dirty Sexy Money, Private Practice, and Pushing Daisies until next fall.

ABC has been silent about its other programs; According to Jim, Big Shots, Boston Legal, Cashmere Mafia, Cavemen, Carpoolers, Eli Stone, Men in Trees, Notes from the Underbelly, October Road, and Women’s Murder Club. What about them?

Eli Stone and Cashmere Mafia have only aired a couple times. Both shows have been losing viewers from week to week but their fates may not be decided for a little while.

It looks likely that Boston Legal will be back for a new season but its not a done deal. Viewership is okay but its audience skews older. David Kelly’s show is expected to go back into production and yield five or more episodes for this spring.

There are still 11 pre-strike episodes of Men in Trees on the shelf. It’s unlikely that any more will be shot for this season and a third season is up in the air.

October Road has five unaired episodes left. The series has been performing quite poorly in the ratings despite a devoted core audience. It’s doubtful that any additional episodes will be shot for this season and prospects for a third year don’t look good.

According to Jim’s numbers haven’t been good this year and many questioned why the sitcom was given an 18 episode renewal for season seven. All 18 episodes are expected to be completed but the series almost certainly won’t be back in the fall.

Big Shots, Cavemen, and Carpoolers are all finished and likely, so is Underbelly. The final episodes of Carpoolers are scheduled to air until Tuesday, March 4th.

It looked possible that Women’s Murder Club might go back into production this season. The series usually ranks first in its timeslot. It’s now looking like Club may be closing permanently. We’ll keep you posted. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Vickie Yeager October 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I definitely want Brothers & Sisters back in 2011.
I want somebody to pick up Ghost Whispers & bring it back again by another network.

admin April 21, 2009 at 2:27 pm

@Melanie: This article is actually from last year. ABC hasn’t said anything about Castle yet. It’s not doing terribly but its not doing that great either.

Melanie April 21, 2009 at 12:42 pm

No mention if ABC plans to pick up Castle for another year. Love the show and hope to be watching it for years to come!!! Any info anyone?

Alice January 26, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Not everyone takes the time to send an email in support of their favorite show, but I am hoping my responce will make a difference. Eli Stone is so real in a “way out of this world” sort of way. Many need a bit of hope and encouragement in their lives and Eli Stone brings that to them. Please keep Eli and the cast on for all us faithful viewers.

Toni August 25, 2008 at 9:36 pm

October Road is one of the best shows!!!!! I looked forward each week to watching this great show. The characters drew you in each episode. You actually renewed Pushing Daises????????????????????????????? Ok, someone smoking something!!

Marcia Dokken June 29, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Please leave Eli Stone in the 2008-2009 lineup. I watched every episode and am watching the reruns too! Love this show!
Thank you for listening.

Why October Road?? May 22, 2008 at 3:09 pm

I truly cannot comprehend why ABC would cancel October Road and keep Samantha Who? and Pushing Daisies??????? These have to be two of the dumbest shows aired!! Seriously how long can a story line of someone who has amenisa survive??? I cannot believe that someone would waste their time watching a show where whether or not you have no recollection of your past that once you start learning your life’s details that you would allow your “ex-boyfriend” to live in your apartment with his new girlfriend……I find this show totally offensive to the senses, at least October Road had some trueness to it and a believable story line as well as characters you could relate to…………BRING BACK OCTOBER ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan May 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm

I 100% completely agree with you Christina. TV is getting horrible with all of these crap shows and reality junk. October Road is a breath of fresh air, with its Perfect cast, story line, music, imo it’s THE BEST show on TV, but of course tv can’t have any good shows so lets cancel it. October Road is has an unbeleivable group of fans(we call ourselfs Roadies) that have fallen head over heels for this show, and have been doing everything we can to save this show from cancellation. I hope ABC will wake up and smell the coffee, and realize that October Road is by far the Ultimate show as far as TV is concerned! ABC should be proud to have October Road, but no! Long Live October Road!

Sharon V April 22, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Please bring back my two favorite shows….Boston Legal & Eli Stone!!!! Everyone I know watches these shows and would hate to see them disappear! I don’t know who decides the fate of entertainment but we should all get a vote! If these go away, I’m afraid you will lose many viewers… Please consider!!!

karen carlson March 20, 2008 at 6:49 pm

I am quite sure Boston Legal…which “skews” an older audience, YES!!….is too intelligent and certainly too politically on target with both our leadership (or lack of, if that’s what you want to call it) and social commentary to remain on the air. Only a network with brains in their balls would stay true to the course. So my television is now good for only PBS and DVDs. Sure saves on electricity.

Christina March 12, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I think it is very sad that October Road is being taken off of the air. I love this show and it has a good story line and so many more places for the story to go. There are so many stupid shows that are being left on the air. I don’t know what is wrong with people not being interested in seeing decent programs with good storyline. Come on Pushing Daisies is stupid and it will air but not October Road. I might as well not own a television before too long because it seems like when I find a good show that I like to watch something happens. I am sick of reality television and stupid no brainer shows.
Thanks alot for making someone very sad with the entertainment system when this is practically all one can afford to do at this day and time is to stay at home and watch television programming. Oh well I guess it is time to go back to board games.
Signed,
Disgusted with the powers that be in the entertainment industry