ABC 2013-14 Season Ratings

abc-tv-shows-ratingsThe alphabet network hasn’t had much luck launching successful new shows. What’s more, a lot of their existing shows are down year-to-year. Thankfully, the execs can’t cancel everything.

ABC shows (so far): 20/20, 20/20 Saturday, America’s Funniest Home Videos, The Assets, The Bachelor, Bachelor in Paradise, The Bachelorette, Back in the Game, Betrayal, Black Box, Castle, Celebrity Wife Swap, Dancing with the Stars, Extreme Weight Loss, The Goldbergs, The Great Christmas Light Fight, Grey’s Anatomy, Killer Women, Last Man Standing, Lucky 7, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, The Middle, Mind Games, Mistresses, Mixology, Modern Family, Motive, Nashville, The Neighbors, Nightline Prime, NY Med, Once Upon a Time, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Primetime: What Would You Do?, The Quest, Resurrection, Revenge, Rising Star, Rookie Blue, Scandal, Shark Tank, Super Fun Night, The Taste, Trophy Wife, and Wipeout.

Note: Here are the ratings for the 2015-15 season shows.

There’s lots of data that ABC execs looks at when deciding whether to renew or cancel a TV series but ratings are the major ingredient.

Check other networks’ rankings:
CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also view them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays and Saturdays, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Are you surprised by any of the ratings? Which shows should be doing better? Which one do you think will be cancelled next?

mary November 7, 2013 at 11:24 pm

People…..you are missing a very good show….Betrayal. It has everything…..a great cast….that Stuart Townsend !!! and great chemistry between Jack and Sara….great location shots..in Chicago…..good story lines…. ! what more can I say….it is well written and has a great score…by BT and Michael DiMattia.

Kate Fredericks November 8, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Mary, there is an online petition site you can go to and get it started (now would be good). Maybe Admin. Will be kind enough to give you the website. I just know others use it and while I doubt it will change network minds, it at least shows them they have probably made a mistake. Sometimes with a show like Betrayal when you have Scandal and Revenge already taking up valuable viewer choices, great shows fall through the cracks. I LOVED The Red Widow last year and lost that one with only 7 or so shows. I also liked Mob Doctor (possibly the only one who did, it seems). And now you know why I won’t pick up new shows until they have been renewed for a second season! I am really tired of getting my heart broken by networks who care only about the bottom line!!

mary November 8, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I know the petition site……I did one to bring the Glades back on A&E…that was such a good show…and they canceled it and left us all hanging….it was one of the most watched of the series. The lead gets shot..and that is the end……lovely.

Mark November 7, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Back in the Game is the best new comedy TV show. Love Back in the game! Cancel Back in the Game is totally wrong! We need more Back in The Game!

Why Watch November 7, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Looking just at the numbers, and networks do use them, Betrayal will be history by years end. It’s too low in all metrics and ABC doesn’t have a dead slot to put it in for loyal fans to watch, like late Friday. My comment is not a reflection on whether the show is good or not.

Camron November 4, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Please do not cxl Betrayal it is the best new show of the season. Love it a guilty pleasure you can watch over and over again. The acting and characters are the best.

mary November 5, 2013 at 11:51 am

Camron…my thoughts exactly. Love watching them over again..and again…lol. Sara and Jack are perfect together. Hope it ends that way. Love his giving her that book.

Kathi November 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I don’t think Stuart Townsend can play a character that doesn’t have some sweetness in them. He just exudes sexuality, masculinity, and sweetness and vulnerability. If I were Sara, I doubt I could resist him!

I too, love this show and can’t get enough of it. I watch the episodes time and time again. This past Sunday’s episode was a real doozy, wasn’t it?

mary November 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

will be watching the last episode again…and again…lol. Yes…I surely agree with your ST comments.

Ashton Thadani November 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Please don’t cancel Nashville! It’s my favorite show! I beg you! Don’t cancel it !

Lila October 29, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Noooo! Please do not.cancel.Betrayal!

Okay, Okay, I will buy CLINIQUE,S facial serum if it means that Betrayal will stay on air!

mary October 29, 2013 at 11:33 pm

one Sunday eve during Betrayal….I wrote down all the sponsors of that show..wow…there are many. I also wrote to a few…and mentioned how much I enjoyed the show etc. I got several replies…and a coupon from International coffee creamers !

Lila October 30, 2013 at 12:20 am

Good for you Mary! I do love a good coffee.
One word for the new drama: Awesome!

Kathi October 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Great idea & the coupon’s a good reward.

Jessica November 5, 2013 at 9:07 am

Yes, it’s definitely heating up! Def do not want it to get the axe!

natalie October 28, 2013 at 9:19 pm

really tired of all the new shows get the axe all the time , just as we get into them they just take them off the air betryal is a very good show should not be taken off such as beatuy a and the beast its getting ridiculious just save these shows there well worth the watch try changeing days saturday has notting on tv at all maybe try that before removing shows i just dont get it 10 good shows on one night and then non on the next sucks try moveing days around at least before the axe

Kathi October 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I sure agree with you, Natalie. As much as these programs cost to produce, shouldn’t they do everything they can to make them work?

Kate Fredericks November 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I completely agree with Kathi and Natalie. I think the reason some of the shows like Betrayal, Hostages, and Nashville get poor viewer numbers is because we, the people, are tired of getting our hearts broken by really liking a show only to have it cancelled. I admit, I wanted to watch Betrayal and Hostages, but I had a feeling that weren’t going to make it. My apologies to all of the loyal Betrayal fans who have posted here. On the other hand, since we thought SHIELD had a better chance of getting renewed, we watched it. And now I am sorry I did. It’s mostly teenage soap opera with a little bit of action thrown in. I admit that I do stay with the tried and true until they get numbers and renewal (I had a fun summer watching Scandal and now LOVE it every week). I made a conscious decision to not watch new shows unless TV Guide and other entertainment reviewers give it high marks BEFORE the season begins, like the excellent Blacklist. However, I broke my rule with Chicago Fire and Nashville. I’m pretty sure Chicago Fire is safe – it gets a lot of press and the while numbers aren’t great, the demo watching it is. Unfortunately, I think this will be the last season for Nashville. And there I sit, broken hearted again!

mary November 8, 2013 at 11:14 pm

good thoughts …wish more of you had watched Betrayal.It is a limited series 13.episodes as is Hostages. Betrayal is my favorite show….Stuart Townsend is quite the guy…and he has such great chemistry with Sara …Hannah Ware. Good story lines…cast….settings in Chicago…it has everything…Catch up with the shows on abc…except the pilot episode
expired….but you can get clips on YouTube. I will hate to see it end !!!!

Kathi November 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Do you think ABC will put the show on DVD? Do you think they’ll include the entire show, not just the ones aired on TV? On ST’s “Night Stalker,” they have some episodes not shown on TV which makes me think the series was cancelled in mid-season.

ST just looks so different in Betrayal vs all of his other roles. It must be that it’s been several years since Night Stalker and we can’t see his most recent show, XIII: The Series. In Betrayal, we can see him at age 40 and mature.

Kathi November 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I can understand your theory but would hate not to ever have discovered Stuart Townsend! He’s marvelous. I began watching Betrayal from the beginning because of the ads that showed the love scene! Got my attention. I often begin watching a show because of the lead actor or, as in Sleepy Hollow, because I always loved the story. Now, of course, I love Tom Mison!

mary November 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm

not to have discovered S Townsend…..not a good thought.
I am so glad I did watch the first one…I had not intended to…but…there was nothing on I wanted to view…..and it was enough football…so…I watched it. Maybe I should not have…because now I am loving it….the cast..music…settings….everything.

Bethany October 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I certainly hope they don’t cancel The Neighbors. I LOVE this show, and look forward to it airing every week. I watch the episodes over and over on DVR, which SHOULD count toward ratings. IMHO, they should do away with Neilson families, and just take the recorded stats we all know they keep at the cable/dish companies. Maybe if they ranked those ratings, our favorite shows would not be doing so poorly. Considering that everyone I come in contact with is always talking about The Neighbors, and several other shows that I am always hearing are not watched by anyone, I find it unrealistic to stick with the old ratings system anyway.

Kate Fredericks November 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I have to admit, Bethany, I also enjoy The Neighbors. They HAD cancelled it last May, so imagine my surprise to see it on the September schedule! Very funny show. Too bad it never found an audience.

mary October 27, 2013 at 2:50 pm

kathi…have you seen the preview for tonight ???? it is on this site….apartment preview….. interesting !!!

Kathi October 27, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Yes. As one description says, Sara has a newfound confidence….She doesn’t seem to worry at all anymore so she’ll likely get careless……………………..of course, if I had ST alone in an apt., why worry? ha

mary October 27, 2013 at 11:49 pm

HI Kathi….
wow… what a show tonight ! lots going on. Too bad Jack did not delete that picture !!!
things are getting out of control. I keep hoping that Jack and Sara will end up together.
Doubtful ? When he said that to his son..about not being able to look at yourself in the mirror…and then Sara meeting Elaine…who seems to have a thing for the wine guy !
that last scene…in the shower……nice pictures Drew says.
At first I could not think of the turnips and tomatoes thing…..and how Jack knew
where the bug was….untiI I realized Elaine had mentioned about the sprinklers in the office. ..and about the plants.
I watch the shows over and over…on my computer..and I also have on demand on my tv
which I got free when I upgraded. Nice.

and I know what you mean…about getting wrapped up in a show..as I am in Betrayal…and the thing is…I had not intended to watch the first show….but nothing
else was on except more football….so…I watched it. Maybe I should not have…lol.
I will have to watch tonight’s episode again…it should be up Monday. ..to go over it
all.

Kathi October 28, 2013 at 8:26 pm

You’re lucky to have a DVR. I am grateful for Xfinity but I have to sit through all the commercials, which seem to multiply. Last night’s show was amazing and, as usual, I can’t wait for next week!

Andrew Soukup October 24, 2013 at 3:37 am

ABC has a few good shows that I do like and watch currently..I was a little upset at the canceling of Lucky 7 I thought it had some potential and was more interesting than a lot of shows on TV right now but I already talked about that in a dif post.Modern Family is by far the biggest hit and best show they have right now and continues to kill the ratings so we will have that for at least a few more years for sure…The Goldbergs is a funny new show that I do enjoy watching and get some laughs out of….Marvel Agents Of SHIELD is a little over hyped and in my opinion is just alright…I have seen the first few epoisodes and have fell back a bit due to so many other shows but I will catch up and finish the season out to see where it goes and if its worth my time…Shark Tank is still a good show and hopefully will get another season…..I don’t any of these other shows but I did wanna check out Super Fun Night but currently watch and tape other show in its time slot so I never checked it out…maybe it will get in the rotation in the future….one final note is I can’t believe AFS iss till going haha…shouts out to the classic host Bob Saget.

Kathi October 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Just Got This:

Hi Kathi,

Thank you for contacting WATCH ABC!

My system only shows 5 shows of “Betrayal” with the last show coming on November 18th. I suggest that you continue to check the site for updates. Also, due to distribution rights, we may not have the rights to air all shows. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please reply to this email.

Thank you for watching WATCH ABC!!
Have a AWESOME Day!!

Kimberly
WATCH ABC Support

mary October 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm

what you got from Kimberly…does not sound good. I would think they might think of the fans…and not leave us without the final story. I don’t get the distribution rights thing at all. If ABC produces the series don’t they have control over it. ????
After last eve…..I am thinking could TJ have killed Lou ??

Kathi October 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I’m wondering if they set up TJ to shoot Sara? The old man may decide to use TJ’s mental problems to do his dirty work. I don’t really “see” this but it’s a thought. I’ve wondered if Connie didn’t have Lou shot? Too many avenues to pursue; they’d better solve everything for us! I keep hoping that maybe another channel will pick up the show. I just read that Body of Proof is coming back so who knows?

mary October 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm

yes…there are so many situations we need resolved !!!!!

I thought in the last episode that TJ seemed more normal…..what did you think?
wonder if he DID kill Lou? as far as Sara…..there are so many guesses one could make.
Hope we find out. and also…the gun in the hood of the car !!!!

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm

TJ did seem more normal. Perhaps he’s comfortable away from his family and with cars or other hobbies. I’m still anxious to find out what Jack has to do with TJ’s accident. I still hope Jack turns himself in and turns over evidence to get out from under Karsten.

Anonymous October 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

LOVE Betrayal. My guilty pleasure!!!!

Kathi October 19, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Mine too. It has everything a good show should have.

JED October 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

ABC should just bring back “Dynasty”. They’d have an out of the box hit, here and even more internationally. That would work on Sunday or Tuesday at 10pm. Also, they should look to bring a more serious, special effects laden version of “Fantasy Island” back to the network, for adults (with graphic violence/horror when required). I know it is likely kids are running the place, but those ideas – big hits for ABC – are what we truly want.

Anthony Bassien-Capsa October 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I don’t think the new version of Dynasty will air on ABC like the original one. It should be aired on Lifetime. Same thing for a modern version of Fantasy Island!

Kaori November 1, 2013 at 11:25 pm

ABC already tried a Fantasy Island reboot back in ’98, with Malcolm McDowell playing a more cynical version of Ricardo Montalban’s character and it got canned after one season. Oh, puhleez, no more reboots. For every Hawaii Five-O and Dallas, there’s Ironside, Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, all cancelled after a few episodes.

Donna October 18, 2013 at 5:11 am

My daughter and I tape “Betrayal” while we’re watching it, then watch it again. Looking for things we missed.
We love it.
I too think its not gotten enough publicity.
Maybe that would put a “shine” to it.

Kathi October 18, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Sounds like you’re hooked too. I’ve watched the first 3 episodes so many times that I should know every line by heart. I enjoy each time, though, because the acting’s so good and ST is so watchable!

mary October 18, 2013 at 8:42 pm

and so do I , Kathi….as you know !!!!!

Kathi October 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Perhaps Betrayal is advertised as too sexy and turning future viewers off? With all the success of other sexy programs such as Scandal and Revenge, that shouldn’t be the problem unless it’s because Betrayal is on Sunday nights? That’s still a church night for many folks.

I think ABC has not promoted this show enough. Constant ads for Scandal and Revenge seem to be their priority.

mary October 18, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I agree!!! Betrayal should not be canceled.
Maybe a different night..? although Revenge is on Sundays too.
either way……hope Betrayal is not canceled.

Kathi October 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Betrayal is so perfect for romance lovers like me. I now need a Jack/Sara “fix” every day! They are so perfect together. I keep searching for news about ST on the People website, etc., wondering who he’s dating, if he and HW have turned into a real relationship, etc.

mary October 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm

kathi….let me know if you see any ST news !
would be interesting if the two get together. I am not sure if she lives in the US….she is from England. On the View show she mentions that she and her sister don’t live in the same country.

Kathi October 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm

From all their interviews, I definitely got the impression that she’s single, but I haven’t found out how old she is, not that it makes any difference to anyone; I’m just curious.

Did you receive the private email I sent to you from the ST website?

Check this out:

Your comment on the post Exclusive Interview: Stuart Townsend on Playing a Romantic Compulsive Liar on ABC’s Sexy Thriller ‘Betrayal’ has a new reply

Here is your comment:
This article is so good. Those of us who are BIG fans of Betrayal have also become BIG fans of Stuart Townsend. I’d never seen him before and am now trying to get my hands on everything he’s made. He is such a good actor and so good on the eyes.

Thanks so much for writing this and please let us know what we can do to save this program from cancellation.

Kathi J.
Kathi —— 2013-10-19 18:54:53

Here is the new reply:
Thanks, Kathi. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I also wish I knew what to tell you in terms of keeping the show alive. I think it’s ridiculous these days that shows don’t have a chance to build an audience. I just hope that ABC allows for more time for people to find it and become interested. I’ve been a fan of Stuart’s for years, so getting to talk with him was fantastic. His work is ALWAYS solid, so yes, please do go back through his filmography.
Melanie Votaw —— 2013-10-19 18:59:21

Visit: http://www.reellifewithjane.com/2013/10/exclusive-interview-stuart-townsend-sexy-betrayal/#comment-162549

Thank you for commenting on Reel Life With Jane :) http://www.reellifewithjane.com
Click here to unsubscribe from all comment notification emails

mary October 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm

hey fans of Betrayal….

just saw this…..on Sunday ratings……..

Sunday Ratings: Good Wife, Betrayal Rise, Once Upon a Time Continues to Sink

Kathi October 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Did you say “Betrayal rise”? Yippee! I thought of all of you Betrayal fans while waiting for the show to come on last night and knew you were all excited. I’m going to read the rest of my Betrayal mail before adding my comments about last night’s show; sigh.

mary October 25, 2013 at 12:29 am
Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I think I’ve checked those sites but will make sure.

I wanted you to see this and wonder why ABC won’t give the same consideration to their shows. Look at the first sentence:

Dads: FOX Sitcom Getting Full Season Order?
by admin
Despite having the lowest ratings on the FOX network, Dads is reportedly close to getting a full season order. Starring Seth Green, Giovanni Ribisi, Martin Mull, and Peter Riegert, Dads debuted to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.76 million viewers. The sitcom lost more than 30% of its audience in week two […]

debbie October 26, 2013 at 10:55 am

I love Betrayal. Yes, try another night before canceling it.

mary October 19, 2013 at 11:17 pm

thanks for the link…..and no…I did not get that private email you said you sent.
I got a nice reply from Melanie also…..

I agree, Mary, and I hope the show gets to finish, too. They may end up shooting all episodes, but they might not get air time. It’s anyone’s guess at this point.

Stuart was so lovely; it was a thrill to speak to him. We ended up talking about a lot of stuff sort of off topic, which is always nice because that only happens when there’s a rapport. And that voice!

ah yes…..that voice…..and what a guy !!!!!!

Anonymous October 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm

lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv betryal please abc do no cancel

mary October 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

yes……we must learn about that accident and Jack’s involvement.
wonder if Jack will turn himself in…
I just have this feeling…that even if we see the entire show……it will not end well for Sara
and Jack…I remember what it said at the start of the show……about the doomed affair
etc.

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Now I’m worried and sad…you think Sara will die? That will crush Jack and I can’t bear to see him sad!

mary October 25, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I surely hope that Sara does not die…….could that be the reason he smashes the pictures ????? or there is another reason for what he does. I guess the two can probably not end up together.
..although I wish they could.

Kathi October 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

My favorite ending would be Jack helping to get Karsten in jail then marrying Sara. They wouldn’t have happy exes but who does? I think I read that Jack’s going to try to make his marriage better this Sunday as Sara tried to do after she first met Jack. Their marriages aren’t horrible so they both should, in real life, try to fix them.

mary October 26, 2013 at 8:30 pm

good points made.
yes….he is going to try to make the marriage better. but it says Sara has a new sense of confidence.
I would love to see them get together….but….doubt it will happen.

mary October 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm

looks as if Betrayal is on the bubble…. check this out…..let’s hope they do the 13 shows.

Kathi October 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Let’s hope we get the 13 episodes and that they wrap up all the loose ends.

I see from this article that DVR replays are counted; that’s terrific. Is that how you watch it over and over again? I wish my Netflix watches counted. With several of us watching the episodes so many times, we’d sure build up the ratings!

Kathi October 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I wonder how actors feel knowing that they make characters that some viewers care so much about? I get so wrapped up in certain TV shows, movies, etc., that it’s a bit ridiculous!

mary November 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I hope it goes to dvd. he is one good looking man!!!!!! so looking forward to Sunday eve.

Kathi November 11, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I know. I can’t even imagine my life without ST now!