ABC 2013-14 Season Ratings (updated 9/2/14)

abc-tv-shows-ratingsThe alphabet network hasn’t had much luck launching successful new shows. What’s more, a lot of their existing shows are down year-to-year. Thankfully, the execs can’t cancel everything.

ABC shows (so far): 20/20, 20/20 Saturday, America’s Funniest Home Videos, The Assets, The Bachelor, Bachelor in Paradise, The Bachelorette, Back in the Game, Betrayal, Black Box, Castle, Celebrity Wife Swap, Dancing with the Stars, Extreme Weight Loss, The Goldbergs, The Great Christmas Light Fight, Grey’s Anatomy, Killer Women, Last Man Standing, Lucky 7, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, The Middle, Mind Games, Mistresses, Mixology, Modern Family, Motive, Nashville, The Neighbors, Nightline Prime, NY Med, Once Upon a Time, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Primetime: What Would You Do?, The Quest, Resurrection, Revenge, Rising Star, Rookie Blue, Scandal, Shark Tank, Super Fun Night, The Taste, Trophy Wife, and Wipeout.

There’s lots of data that ABC execs looks at when deciding whether to renew or cancel a TV series but ratings are the major ingredient. Here’s an updated listing of all of their current primetime shows.

Check other networks’ rankings:
CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also view them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays and Saturdays, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Are you surprised by any of the ratings? Which shows should be doing better? Which one do you think will be cancelled next?

Donna January 20, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Sad to see this show coming to an end. I hated the way they left you hanging when Sara was at the restaurant and was it Jack or Drew who showed up? I guess we will never know unless they renew it.

I am so proud of TJ and he showed so much caring and compassion. Would love to find a man with those qualities.

I know she loves Jack but how could you continue a relationship with someone whose son tried to kill her. I hope she decided to stay with Drew and her beautiful son.

Kathi January 20, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I liked the way Betrayal wrapped up its loose ends and I think it’s Jack who meets Sarah in the end. I think it’s clever, however, that the writers left us wondering so those who want her to end up with Drew can believe that. I agree with your views about TJ. I’d like to know why Vic shot Sarah and I wish, wish, wish, they’d shown Jack and Sarah voicing their love to each other and kissing. Maybe when it’s released on DVD, they’ll have some extra scenes.

Kristina Julia January 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm

If they cancel Betrayal I will NEVER EVER watch anything in that time slot again, the last 3 were canceled and this one already has 3.5 M viewers so if they cancel it this soon that’s it for me. These old men smoking cigars don’t get some people actually get invested in these shows.

Kathi January 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I understand how you feel, Kristina, but I’m just thankful they finished the story line and didn’t leave us hanging.

mary January 19, 2014 at 11:25 pm

well…Betrayal is over……and what about the ending…..???!!! was it Jack..or Drew ???
wish it had not ended that way. Was hoping for her to go to Jack’s apt….and they would
be together. ..or would she feel she should help Drew???? Quite an ending.
Maybe Jack felt they would not work…since Vic shot Sara.
I will miss the show.

Kathi January 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Mary,

I was looking forward to your feelings about the last episode. I am glad that all the loose ends were tied up and think the ending was left to make Jack or Drew fans happy. I believe, though, that she ended up with Jack. She was sure trying to get something from him at the end and I got so upset that she didn’t call after him or run after him. And while I believe she ended up with Jack, I REALLY WANTED to hear “I love yous” and see some kisses!

It’s been fun chatting with you about this show.

kathryn January 19, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Please don’t cancel Betrayal. My coworkers and I love this show. I look forward to it every Sunday! It’s a nice change from all the reality shows which are getting old and boring! Please give it another season!!

eugenia gray January 19, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Love Betrayal, Hope to see a season 2!

Debbie January 11, 2014 at 6:55 am

Yes I think they should move the show to a new time slot , just love it!!,!

Debbie January 11, 2014 at 6:52 am

Betrayal is the best!!! Really enjoy the show….please, please, do not cancel it!!,

mary December 31, 2013 at 4:14 pm

have you seen this???

and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL…..HAVE A GREAT 2014!!!!!!

mary December 31, 2013 at 4:18 pm

what I sent…the link above..may not come up…it was on STs twitter page….

Kathi January 3, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Back to you Mary. I wish everyone a healthy and prosperous 2014!

Our show’s back on Sunday, isn’t it? Can’t wait much longer!!!! Which one is this, Mary, the last or next to last? Glad you keep track.

Sure hope ST makes something else soon!

Livus48 December 26, 2013 at 5:29 pm

And Castle is at the top of the list,jippi. And that prove Stana Katic right,relationship can be just as spicy and fun as when to people are doing the guessing game.
I’m so looking forward to the rest of season 6,and there are lots of good stories to be told,for at least 5 more seasons.Just look at NCIS,Bones etc.
A big thank you to the cast and crew for they’re stellar job.

Charles W Smith December 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm

The only shows I watch from ABC are Castle and Modern Family. I so enjoy both shows very much.

RecceR December 19, 2013 at 12:23 am

Maybe I’m late to the party, but I’m really glad you guys are posting the rating data again. It’s extremely helpful, keep up the good work!

mary December 18, 2013 at 11:40 pm

kathi…you said…Meeting Sara may COMPLETELY change his life, even his background with his parents!
Lots to see in 1 episode (or 2?)
See you after the Christmas season!

Two more episodes…..and how I will miss it. Hoping for a dvd !!!!!
I am sure something will come up about his parents.
I will probably send a few messages after the last shows.
The Michael Buble show was wonderful tonight… Xmas special.
I have two ST movies to watch….Trapped…and Shade. Happened across another he is in…check out….The Escort. I can get it on Amazon I think.

Jacqueline Metivier December 18, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Please don’t cancel Betrayal…so many people seem to love it…can’t understand why it’s not doing better. Maybe it needs a better time slot? So many of the new shows are just awful. I don’t get it?

Kathi December 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I agree! I love Betrayal too.

Think it’s too late, Jacqueline, but thanks for trying!

Debra December 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I so agree! Great show! Great writing. Great acting and great stories. Maybe ABC needs to switch it around wit Revenge…More publicity It is a keeper

mary December 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm

HI…..hope Jack has not done too much bad stuff. He was a fixer..as he said. I am sure he was involed with some bad stuff.
Do you think Vic killed Lou ? I still think it was Thatcher. Remember how upset he was when he thought Lou was stealing from him…..and he slammed that stuff off the table.
Yes lots to wrap up for sure.
Sara proved to Drew that Jack could not have killed Lou.
Will hate to see the show end.
Off to do some Xmas cards.
Had a great b-day.

Kathi December 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

WE know Jack didn’t kill Lou but who would he confess for? Certainly not Thatcher who, I agree, was mad enough to kill Lou. But Victor told Jack that he knew who killed Lou then Jack goes to confess. You know parents often want to take the rap for their kids. I can’t see Vic doing it or why he would but the writers left us to wonder!

I will miss the show so much but also our notes to each other. Glad your bday was a good one.

mary December 17, 2013 at 5:26 pm

HI I find it hard to believe Vic did it too…..when Jack went in the police station…the cop said….are you sure you want to do this??? maybe he is doing it for some reason…
to try to trap someone ???
I will miss our notes too……we will have to use our email addresses and stay in touch…esp if we hear news about ST and what he will be doing. He said in the one interview….he preferred to do tv…as he did not think there were a lot of great films
out there.

Kathi December 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I sure hope he gets something else soon.

Yes, we must stay informed as to what he’s doing!!

mary December 21, 2013 at 12:38 am

Kathi…..just watched the movie SHADE….ST has a big part..and a very different role for this one. I think you would enjoy seeing him in this role…
he plays the part of a mechanic..not the car kind….the gambling kind.
Quite a cast also.
Wishing you a very lovely holiday !!!!!!!

mary December 21, 2013 at 8:47 pm

for all you Betrayal fans……..enjoy !!!

Jacqueline Metivier December 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I think he has a plan and will trap the real killer to show his/her hand.

Kathi December 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I hope he has a plan. This should be interesting to watch Jack and Thatcher try to pin everything on each other! I’m glad that Jack also wants to know what happened to his parents. I imagine that he has a lot more on Thatcher than Thatcher has on him!

mary December 16, 2013 at 12:05 am

sorry…..I did not intend to have all the birthday wishes when I posted his comments about Betrayal etc.