ABC 2013-14 Season Ratings

abc-tv-shows-ratingsThe alphabet network hasn’t had much luck launching successful new shows. What’s more, a lot of their existing shows are down year-to-year. Thankfully, the execs can’t cancel everything.

ABC shows (so far): 20/20, 20/20 Saturday, America’s Funniest Home Videos, The Assets, The Bachelor, Bachelor in Paradise, The Bachelorette, Back in the Game, Betrayal, Black Box, Castle, Celebrity Wife Swap, Dancing with the Stars, Extreme Weight Loss, The Goldbergs, The Great Christmas Light Fight, Grey’s Anatomy, Killer Women, Last Man Standing, Lucky 7, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, The Middle, Mind Games, Mistresses, Mixology, Modern Family, Motive, Nashville, The Neighbors, Nightline Prime, NY Med, Once Upon a Time, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Primetime: What Would You Do?, The Quest, Resurrection, Revenge, Rising Star, Rookie Blue, Scandal, Shark Tank, Super Fun Night, The Taste, Trophy Wife, and Wipeout.

Note: Here are the ratings for the 2015-15 season shows.

There’s lots of data that ABC execs looks at when deciding whether to renew or cancel a TV series but ratings are the major ingredient.

Check other networks’ rankings:
CBS | The CW | FOX | NBC | ABC Family | TNT

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also view them here and here.

A couple of notes about these charts:
These figures are updated automatically as new ratings are released. The averages are based on the final national numbers (live plus same day viewing), unless marked with an asterisk (*). For technical reasons, I have to resort them manually so feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Keep in mind that the demo numbers are typically what’s most important to advertisers. Therefore, that’s how the networks measure success. Advertisers pay more for ad time on a show that has a higher demo rating. Because older viewers don’t count? No, it’s because younger viewers watch less traditional TV and are harder to reach.

Demo numbers are typically reported using the 10ths decimal place (2.4, for example). In the averages, I’m using an extra decimal for easier ranking.

The networks take into account when shows air on Fridays and Saturdays, nights when TV viewership is lower.

What do you think? Are you surprised by any of the ratings? Which shows should be doing better? Which one do you think will be cancelled next?

Dashia August 21, 2014 at 12:02 am

How could ” Black Box ” be canceled but “Once Upon a Time ” isn’t ;( :( Once Upon a Time is boring and basically a child series !! Hate it & can’t stand it :( ;( When I saw it I felt like I was in child’s fantasy land!! Black Box is interesting , dramatic & great ….we need a 2nd, 3rd, season and etc.

Linda Raines August 18, 2014 at 1:49 am

Hate hate hate that Betrayal was cancelled!! Now we’ll never know who Sarah ended up with. You could at least finish a storyline if you cancel a show. Not fair to the viewers who faithfully watched all season. Not happy with ABC!

Aubrianne August 11, 2014 at 8:24 pm

we love black box and wonderland
great shows
also love once upon of time as well as trophy wife

MsPittsburgh August 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm

ABC is notorious for cancelling great shows. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get attached to shows on this network because they do not care about the viewers. The only show so far for me, that they haven’t cancelled is Castle. Do I need to remind anyone about “Body of Proof”, “The Gates”, “Happy Town”, “Pan AM”, “The River”, “666 Park Avenue”, “How To Live With Your Parents For The Rest of Your Life”. Course these were some of my personal favorites, but it still amazes me that they keep all of the reality tv crap like Bachelor & Bachelorette, DWTS….please!

Alice August 9, 2014 at 3:04 pm

In my opinion, Person of Interest is the best show on TV. I especially like to see the “good guys” win. Also like that there is not so much jumping in and out of bed. Sometimes it’s best to leave something to the imagination. Old school? Maybe. But, that’s what I think and that’s what I like.

Arlene August 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Black Box is one of my favorite shows. Look forward to that show every week. Have a hard time understanding how some shows manage to get renewed time and time again. I know its’ based on ratings. What am I missing. Don’t cancel this show.

Lily August 2, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Black Box is one of my favorite shows. Please don’t cancel.

Lilymay August 2, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Please don’t cancel Black Box. It,s a great original story.

Milania August 1, 2014 at 5:31 am

Keep black box on best show ever don’t cancel it please

Jill July 25, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Please don’t cancel Black Box!! I know it’s right on the edge of ratings. Try a different time slot maybe.

Barbara McCarley July 23, 2014 at 1:26 am

Once again, why does the 19 to 49 age bracket speak for us all? Castle is my number one favorite show and had the highest viewership with 9.9 million viewers, so there should be no question about what is number one. I am so sick of this 19 to 49 thing. Numbers watching, not their age, should be what’s important. Most people these days record shows so they can skip the commercials anyway.

admin July 23, 2014 at 10:40 am

Advertisers pay the most to reach the younger audience so that’s most important to the networks. It’s not that the other viewers aren’t important. They’re just easier to reach.

Patsy Rusk July 1, 2014 at 3:39 pm

What day and time is Castle broadcast on Cox Cable in BAton Rouge, La? Have been unable to find it this season

Cynthia June 15, 2014 at 11:17 am

Our household ages range from 67,46, 20, 14, and 12. Each one of us really enjoyed ABC’s, Sing Your Face Off. We were surprised it was aired on Saturday nights and had 2 episodes at a time. It is hard to find a TV show that all of us enjoy watching together. Our family would love for it to have another season.

Jim June 3, 2014 at 5:32 am

Well it only makes sense…when you disrespect your viewers and you don’t care if they watch your network….they won’t. ABC is blocked at my satellite box….I won’t be watching.

Twee May 31, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Please bring Betrayal back!
It’s a modern day love story & not a fairy tale love.
I really enjoyed it!!