Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

IMAGECBS has long had a problem finding the right sitcom to round out their Monday night line-up. Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory work well but the network needs a solid fourth player. As this season began, it looked like Accidentally on Purpose just might be the one. No longer. It’s been cancelled.

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around thirty-something Billie Chase (Jenna Elfman) after she breaks up with her boyfriend/boss (Grant Show). She has a one-night fling with a much younger man, Zack (Jon Foster), and becomes pregnant. Billie ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The TV show got off to a pretty good start with a 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.91 million viewers. On Monday nights, the first 15 episodes ended up averaging a 3.1 in the demo and 8.23 million viewers. That’s actually quite good but the network has very high expectations because the TV show is surrounded by their very popular comedies. The real test is to see how well the series will perform on another night.

After a hiatus, CBS brought Accidentally on Purpose to Wednesday nights. With The New Adventures of Old Christine as a lead-in, the ratings fell like a rock. The three original episodes averaged a 1.8 in the key demo and 5.72 million viewers. If there was any hope for the series, these numbers dashed them.

CBS has now confirmed that the sitcom has been cancelled and will not be returning for season two. CBS can afford to be picky in what sitcoms it keeps and has also cancelled Gary Unmarried after two seasons and Old Christine after five.

Fortunately, the network aired all 18 episodes of Accidentally on Purpose and viewers got to see Billie give birth. Unfortunately, they won’t get to see how she and Zack cope as new parents.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?

Marissa January 15, 2012 at 7:23 am

I absolutely loved this show. I am a HUGE Jenna Elfman fan. I think she’s witty and zany and just can’t get enough of her. What I LOVED about this show is that I am an older single woman with a 25 year old boyfriend. So yeah, we cougars really enjoy seeing our life choices being represented in the media. The boyfriend… well, not so much. He was playing DnD with the guys when I discovered this gem on Netflicks and watched it from start to finish. But now we’re going to do a Dharma & Gregg marathon together. Oh, he also doesn’t quite catch the humour in Cougar Town either. So I guess it’s an older chicks thing? Well my best gay friend loved Cougar Town. LOL

Micki January 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Like many others, I found Accidentally on Purpose on Netflix and I have NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT IT. It’s weird! But, honesty, no drawbacks!
At this point in our culture we are finally celebrating non-traditional families so putting on a show that gives us another chance to do that is for sure the right move. If placing it next to that Christina show dropped the ratings then don’t do that! Move it back to a better slot! And hype it up a little. Seriously, how difficult could it be to hype up a show like this?? I was hooked after the first two to three lines ;) this, coming from a high-schooler with a scientifically proven short attention span.

Julie Lester January 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I don’t get a chance to watch tv much and what I do is just dvr’d so I can watch when i do have time. So I didn’t see this show when It aired origianlly but recently found on NETFLIX… I was hooked after the first show and sat and was glued to watching the entire season in one night. What a great, funny, witty and charming show. The characters had great charisma. The plot line was great and the each character had the right quirkyness to them to keep your attention. This is one of those show they should really consider bringing back. Jenna Elfman and Jon Foster where great together! And the “stoners” punchlines where priceless. CBS really needs to take another look at this one. I think It fits into our society well at this time in our lives.
Sincerely,

Julie

Rachel January 9, 2012 at 4:21 am

pissed.. how can we bring it back!!!!

Katie January 8, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Just watched the episodes on Netflix was so disappointed when finding out that there was not going to be a season 2 :(. My whole family even enjoyed it!!! PLEASE PLEASE BRING BACK ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE!!!!

Rachel January 9, 2012 at 4:21 am

I agree!!!

joy January 7, 2012 at 11:56 am

Please CBS, bring accidentally on purpose back. I’m Kenyan; I live in Kenya and from all the way here, a thousand miles away, I plead “BRING THE SHOW BACK!!” My friends and I absolutely love it.

Alyssa January 5, 2012 at 2:46 am

I also just watched the whole season on Netflix and loved it!!! Come on CBS change your mind and put it back on the air. You didn’t really promote it so how can people know about the show that you didn’t talk about. My vote is to put it back on the air, I’ll watch it for sure and I’m sure other people will also. So please please please bring it back!!!!

Alexander January 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I LOVED ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE, which loving a show is rare for me!!!! my new favorite show! make a second season!!!!

Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I LOVE ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE!!!!!!!! CBS STINKS FOR CANCELING IT!!!!! THIS IS MY FAVORITE SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexis January 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I found Accidentally on Purpose on Netflix not realizing that it only had ONE season. I watched the whole season in two nights! Then my friend came over and I show her it and she also LOVED it! Soon, all our friends in our class were watching it! It’s the BEST show EVER! It’s my FAVORITE SHOW! CBS you have over 300 comments saying its FANTASTIC and 142,171 ratings on Netflix averaging 4 stars. How can such a AMAZING show end, with all the stupid shows out there! I LOVE ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE START THE SHOW BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CBS I LOVE ALL YOUR SHOWS BUT, DOING THIS MAKES YOU SUCK!!!!!

Jessica December 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I agree! I just saw this on Netflix and watched the entire season one…now I google it to find out that it’s no longer…I feel so sad! It made me laugh sooooooooooooooo hard!

Yohan December 25, 2011 at 4:25 am

WHAT THE !? I’M SO MAD IT’S BEEN CANCELLED AND EVEN MORE MAD BECAUSE I JUST FOUND OUT A YEAR LATER ! LIKE WHAT THE HELL !!!!

Alberte December 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’ve watched this whole first season in one day, and I absolutely LOVE it! It is such a pitty that there won’t be a season two. Any chance CBS could change their minds!?

Sam December 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I’m mad I just now started watching it and fell in love now I learn it’s canceled figures every good show gets canceled

Kristen December 15, 2011 at 2:03 am

I have spent the last few days watching this show, totally invested in it, and now I find out that its not on anymore! LAME! This show was funny, and witty and I loved it! CBS sucks!