Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

IMAGECBS has long had a problem finding the right sitcom to round out their Monday night line-up. Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory work well but the network needs a solid fourth player. As this season began, it looked like Accidentally on Purpose just might be the one. No longer. It’s been cancelled.

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around thirty-something Billie Chase (Jenna Elfman) after she breaks up with her boyfriend/boss (Grant Show). She has a one-night fling with a much younger man, Zack (Jon Foster), and becomes pregnant. Billie ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The TV show got off to a pretty good start with a 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.91 million viewers. On Monday nights, the first 15 episodes ended up averaging a 3.1 in the demo and 8.23 million viewers. That’s actually quite good but the network has very high expectations because the TV show is surrounded by their very popular comedies. The real test is to see how well the series will perform on another night.

After a hiatus, CBS brought Accidentally on Purpose to Wednesday nights. With The New Adventures of Old Christine as a lead-in, the ratings fell like a rock. The three original episodes averaged a 1.8 in the key demo and 5.72 million viewers. If there was any hope for the series, these numbers dashed them.

CBS has now confirmed that the sitcom has been cancelled and will not be returning for season two. CBS can afford to be picky in what sitcoms it keeps and has also cancelled Gary Unmarried after two seasons and Old Christine after five.

Fortunately, the network aired all 18 episodes of Accidentally on Purpose and viewers got to see Billie give birth. Unfortunately, they won’t get to see how she and Zack cope as new parents.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?

SheilaD June 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Its hard to find good shows on TV and I enjoyed Accidently On Purpose and the cast lineup was excellent – CBS made a horrible mistake – I would have watched it for years – Watched Season 1 again and made me miss it even more!! :(

justyna May 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm

i am so upset this show was canceled… i havent laughed that hard in a while… i think that the network made a hugr mistake…. there are so many funny tv shows now, you gotta let people catch up, and get a chance to see them all.. plus i havent seen too much promo for this show.. actually none at all…. so i didnt know it was even on until i went on netflix…… what a shame… i truely did fall in love with the show….

Katie May 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm

SOOOOOOO DISSAPOINTED!!!!!!!!! I loved that show! Make more please it was so funny!!!!!!

patti May 26, 2012 at 4:54 am

Every charecter was perfect!! A really great “feel-Good” show . Please bring it back !!!!!!!!!!

Meg May 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I found this show on Netflix and I totally fell in love with it, couldn’t stop watching it. It’s funny and original, I don’t think there anything like it. Originality is what we look for in today’s tv shows. Please bring it is back! :-)

Savannah May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I think they need to bring the show back it is amazing and addicting! I want to see how they are as parents and if they end up going through with the wedding!!

Raquel May 21, 2012 at 3:29 pm

VERY DISAPPOINTED CBS!!!!!!!

Cherry Mac May 21, 2012 at 4:04 am

I found Accidentally on Purpose on Netflix and fell in love w/ it. I’m extremely disappointed that it’s cancelled. I loved all the characters (not enough Scottish characters in the world), and the the style of humor. It was very light, and fun. I wish CBS would continue it.

AB May 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I came across this show on Netflix and i got addicted after watching the first eps. i finished the show all in 2 days and got the rest of my family to watch it with me!….ugh im mad they cancelled…… this was the only show i actually enjoyed watching…. THEY NEED TO BRING IT BACK!!. please.

Sharon May 4, 2012 at 3:36 am

I just found AoP on Netflix…one word: Hilarious. I looked for more episodes and found out it was cancelled. What? The plot was original (May-December relationship after a one-night stand, now prego), well written (are you kidding me? First time I’ve EVER laughed out loud at a sitcom), and well-cast (Elfman is a beautiful Carol Burnett). And CBS cancelled it? Wow.

corrine turkington April 25, 2012 at 6:02 am

this was the frist tv show that i actually fell in love with since friends came off the air. I think that this was a big mistake and i really hope that they bring it back. I did not see this being advertised on tv…i watched all 18 episodes and im super dissapointed that they did not continue this. PLEASE bring the show back!!!!

Christy April 20, 2012 at 12:38 am

I thought it was very funny!!! I think it stinks they cancelled it!!! Bring it back!!!!!!

Kim April 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I love this show, they made a total mistake cancelling it… Maybe another company will pick it up sometime….. PLEASE…

Ross March 11, 2012 at 10:41 am

You’ve long left a typo in this article. It’s the last sentence that says, “Are sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?”. Correct that to, “Are “YOU” sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?”

admin March 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

Ross » I don’t have a reason to re-read old posts so I appreciate your letting me know.

Wendlin Berger March 4, 2012 at 10:45 pm

They needed to advertise this show more. I never saw anything until netflix and I just loved the show. It was so funny and the episodes actually had meaning to them too. It wasn’t like the shows that you hear about now. They should bring it back!

Christy April 20, 2012 at 12:39 am

I totally agree!!

corrine turkington April 25, 2012 at 6:06 am

i didnt see it advertised either, until netflix!! I watched the whole season in one day caise i couldnt get enough of it. Im pissed about this !!!

Raquel May 21, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I totally agree with yall too!!! They are so quick to cancel a show without giving it a fair chance. There have been numerous great shows that my husband and I loved that have been canceled. It’s total bullshit… I’m pissed too!! >:<