Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

IMAGECBS has long had a problem finding the right sitcom to round out their Monday night line-up. Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory work well but the network needs a solid fourth player. As this season began, it looked like Accidentally on Purpose just might be the one. No longer. It’s been cancelled.

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around thirty-something Billie Chase (Jenna Elfman) after she breaks up with her boyfriend/boss (Grant Show). She has a one-night fling with a much younger man, Zack (Jon Foster), and becomes pregnant. Billie ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The TV show got off to a pretty good start with a 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.91 million viewers. On Monday nights, the first 15 episodes ended up averaging a 3.1 in the demo and 8.23 million viewers. That’s actually quite good but the network has very high expectations because the TV show is surrounded by their very popular comedies. The real test is to see how well the series will perform on another night.

After a hiatus, CBS brought Accidentally on Purpose to Wednesday nights. With The New Adventures of Old Christine as a lead-in, the ratings fell like a rock. The three original episodes averaged a 1.8 in the key demo and 5.72 million viewers. If there was any hope for the series, these numbers dashed them.

CBS has now confirmed that the sitcom has been cancelled and will not be returning for season two. CBS can afford to be picky in what sitcoms it keeps and has also cancelled Gary Unmarried after two seasons and Old Christine after five.

Fortunately, the network aired all 18 episodes of Accidentally on Purpose and viewers got to see Billie give birth. Unfortunately, they won’t get to see how she and Zack cope as new parents.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?

Canceled and renewed TV show

449 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. emily ortiz says

omg noooooo!! this is the worst decision ever!! This show was the best and most hilarious i really wish that they could make second season!!! until you put this show back i will no longer watch cbs!!!!!!:((((

2. Anonymous says

My husband and I loved this show. Best new comedy we’ve seen in a long time. We are so disappointed CBS cancelled it. Wishing they would bring it back.

3. Lyndsey says

Dissapointing, this is show is very good! I loved it. This show should come back it’s amazing and i want to see them be parents…. bring it back!!

4. stephen D says

I started watching this show on Netflix with my girl friend and we got hooked please bring back the show we love it it was very funny sucks that you canceled it!!!!!!!

5. Staci Hutcherson says

Honestly., one of the best shows i’ve ever watched, it was hilarious and exciting but yet still a chick flick but it also had some men related things even my boyfriend found hilarious! we loved cuddling up and watching it on cbs. we’re really disappointed it’s canceled. BRING BACK SEASON TWO!

6. J says

I can’t believe there will not be a season 2. My husband and I love this show. It’s so funny. Please make a season 2.

7. Steven says

Omg bring back Accidentally on purpose, best sitcom I’ve seen as its sad watch a great show and don’t bear find how everything would’ve been like. Overall, I watch the whole first season on Netflix and actually watched last episode today but I think there should be poll vote for another change also ABC should’ve broadcasted it.

8. A says

Dissapointing. Very good show. Saw season 1 on Netflix and loved it! I cant stand it when networks stop a good thing. Las Vegas being one of them.