Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

IMAGECBS has long had a problem finding the right sitcom to round out their Monday night line-up. Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory work well but the network needs a solid fourth player. As this season began, it looked like Accidentally on Purpose just might be the one. No longer. It’s been cancelled.

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around thirty-something Billie Chase (Jenna Elfman) after she breaks up with her boyfriend/boss (Grant Show). She has a one-night fling with a much younger man, Zack (Jon Foster), and becomes pregnant. Billie ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The TV show got off to a pretty good start with a 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.91 million viewers. On Monday nights, the first 15 episodes ended up averaging a 3.1 in the demo and 8.23 million viewers. That’s actually quite good but the network has very high expectations because the TV show is surrounded by their very popular comedies. The real test is to see how well the series will perform on another night.

After a hiatus, CBS brought Accidentally on Purpose to Wednesday nights. With The New Adventures of Old Christine as a lead-in, the ratings fell like a rock. The three original episodes averaged a 1.8 in the key demo and 5.72 million viewers. If there was any hope for the series, these numbers dashed them.

CBS has now confirmed that the sitcom has been cancelled and will not be returning for season two. CBS can afford to be picky in what sitcoms it keeps and has also cancelled Gary Unmarried after two seasons and Old Christine after five.

Fortunately, the network aired all 18 episodes of Accidentally on Purpose and viewers got to see Billie give birth. Unfortunately, they won’t get to see how she and Zack cope as new parents.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?

Canceled and renewed TV show

449 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Karin Edsall says

I wish they continued!! I found this show on netflix, watched season 1 in 3 days and was psyched to find season 2 on the internet. Please bring it back!! It is sooo funny :)

2. Anonymous says

I loved this show I think you should add It it will be good I am only 13 and I see showed all the time and if a fresh new generation likes it then more will to it’s a awesome show and it can’t end jst like that with a crib and stroller and I love the cimestry of bille and Zack please bring it back what a tragedy

3. Anonymous says

I absolutely love this show… How can you just leave us hanging with only 18 episodes… You show Zack and billy buying all the baby supplies they are going to use. Such as a crib a stroller they even have a nursery… But we don’t get to see any of that stuff being used! It was great that we got to see her give birth but you ended it so bad! We want to see them be parents, that’s all they have talked about in the last 18 episodes but than you just cancel that show??? Like no this was a terrible decision I really really really like this show, I still can’t believe it’s been canceled. Right from the start you set us up with all the excitement of billy and zack being together and being parents but we don’t even get to see them be parents! That’s mean and cruel! I really think you should rethink this… Cause personally I believe you made a ****** decision.

4. says

This show had some of the wittiest writing in television. The line about spotted owls singing we are the champions when the eco-toilet flushes still brings me to tears. Of course people did not watch the show when the time-slot was changed. I hate it when TV executives make that decision. Not all of us are glued to television 24/7, and therefore cannot keep track of the changes. I have never even heard of this show when it was airing, but have accidentally discovered it on Netflix and have been a fan from the first episode. I blame poor advertising campaign, not the quality of the show for its cancelation.

• Anonymous says

I agree, also seen this on netflex and was laughing wholeheartedly thru the whole season one, best comedy series since I love raymond.

5. Brittani says

This is an AMAZING show, it’s funny and quirky! I HATE that they cancelled the show, PLEASE bring it back!!! It’s ridiculous that they cancelled because they didn’t do well on another night, the only reason why is because they were aired between some sucky shows!! Monday’s was going so well for them, I understand why but… WHY mess with a good thing!

6. kätlin says

I like that show very much and I hate those people who canceled it.( I very very very much hate them). :(

7. eliza says

I love this show I am watching it all over again on Netflix! you should of never cancelled it I wanna know what happens next!

8. Nelson says

Horrible mistake, best show I’ve seen in years, CBS cancels The good shows and keeps the mediocre shows. Such a shame

9. Kiana says

They made a horrible decision..if people loved the show why cancel it.i was so wanting to see billie and zack be parents and hoped olivia and davis would get together..it was an awesome show,please bring it back..Give the people what they want..

10. Cecilee says

I loved this show!! I was looking forward to season 2!!! It was a horrible mistake to cancel this show!