Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Orders Five More Episodes

Accidentally on PurposeThings can change awfully fast in the TV biz. One minute your show is the hottest thing on the air, the next minute it’s cancelled. When it comes to CBS’ new sitcom, Accidentally On Purpose, what a difference a few weeks can make!

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around a thirty-something movie critic (Jenna Elfman) who’s broken up with her charming boss (Grant Show). She ends up having a one-night fling with a much younger man (Jon Foster) and becomes pregnant. She ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The sitcom got off to a good start back on September 21st with 8.99 million viewers and a 3.2/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers started to decline in the next couple of weeks. Coupled with mixed reviews, this led some to think that the show would be following in the footsteps of short-lived CBS sitcoms like Worst Week, Welcome to the Captain, and The Class.

Which Monday night sitcom would you rather watch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Then, in week four, the ratings started to go back up. Last night’s episode hit a post-debut high in viewers (8.54 million) and matched its premiere numbers in the demo.

CBS is cautiously optimistic about the series and has just given the sitcom an order for five additional episodes, rather than the usual “back nine.” This brings the first season order to a total of 18 installments. The order may also be influenced by the fact that CBS has Rules of Engagement waiting in the wings.

TV show supportNow, struggling Three Rivers is the network’s only freshman series that hasn’t received an order for additional episodes.

What do you think? Does Accidentally on Purpose measure up or do you prefer Rules of Engagement, or one of the cancelled sitcoms?

Shirley May 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Jenna Elfman is wonderful and I love the scottish girl and other characters. I like it a lot better than rules of engagement. We need more comedies on television. I used to like Criminal Minds, but it’s getting depressing watching all the ugly weirdness that goes on. This show is lighthearted and fun and Jenna Elfman as well as the other characters, including her sister….are all delightful.

Please don’t cancel it. We need lots more comedies.

C. P. Usher April 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Accidentally on Purpose is great! Please do not cancel Accidentally on Purpose.

Maji April 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I absolutely love this show! I don’t care for much of the stuff that is on tv these days but this show I just love. It is hilarious. All the characters are funny and the things they say are laugh out loud hilarious. Please keep this show on!

Suzie April 22, 2010 at 10:05 am

Rules of Engagement has had its run. Why didn’t they put THAT on Wednesdays. Accidentally on Purpose was perfect at 8:30 on Mondays behind HIMYM and before Two and a half Men. That 2 hour block was great television! The writing is clever and witty on Accidentally on Purpose and the actors can pull off what the writers put down. AOP and BBT make me laugh so hard, and for a lot of other people too! Keep the Show! There is a following!

kathy April 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm

The writing and casting on Accidentally on Purpose are clever and very funny. Came to the show while watching the Monday Night CBS Lineup-from “How I Met Your Mother” (sorry, Brian, really like this show) and “Big Bang Theory” (no patience with “Rules”). Laugh out loud funny-Jenna Elfman is in her element, Jon Foster shines; Ashley Jensen and Nicolas Wright (some credentials this young man has) are hilarious, Lennon Parham is amazing. Was so bummed when I heard it might be cancelled and thrilled to see it on Aprl 20! There must be a gazillion story lines-keep the show coming-it’s terrific laugh therapy!

Brian April 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I have to agree with the other viewers that left comments. Monday nights were awesome until “Accidentally on Purpose” disappeared. “Rules of Engagement” doesn’t make the cut. Where before CBS had my attention from 8pm-10pm, now they only get me at 9:30pm – 10pm. Let’s be honest, “How I Met Your Mother” is having a bad season and “Accidentally on Purpose” was the only thing that kept me watching from 8-8:30pm and 9-9:30pm. This block was sitcom gold and now, well…I’m not watching anymore. I’ll catch “Big Bang Theory” online if it’s still available.

Cynthia March 26, 2010 at 6:59 am

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW! SINCE THEY STOPPED AIRING EPISODES I STOPPED WATCHING TV ALTOGETHER, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO GO BACK TO MY 2 HOURS OF UNINTERRUPTED BLISS. WITHOUT ACCIDENTIALLY ON PURPOSE, IT’S JUST NOT THE SAME. PLEASE, IT’S THE BEST SHOW! DON’T CANCEL IT!

carla stultz March 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I love the show “accidentally on purpose”. I look forward to watching it every Monday night. Keep the show on! I hate Rules of engagement and usually change the channel during that show.

Mark Schow March 24, 2010 at 8:35 am

SHARK TANK needs to come back, it is AWESOME. It is BETTER than any of those so call REALITY tv shows, this is Real with real people looking for money to help there business. Please Please Please Bring it Back.

LeeAnn March 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Monday used to be agreat sitcom night!!Now it sucks with Rules of Engagement on in place of Accidently on Purpose. When you have a good thing…Leave it alone!!!

Pam March 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm

My husband and I only watch TV once a week, and thats on the Monday line up. We always watch straight from How I met your Mother until Two and a Half Men ends, but now Accidently on Purpose has been replaced with Rules of Engagement. We REALLY dont care for Rules of Engagement, so now we change the channel. Please Keep Accidently on Purpose! We love the Characters and want to know what’s going to happen next! Please bring back our show!
Thanks

Dee March 22, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Has Accidentally on Purpose been cancelled? Sure hope not. My husband and I do not care for Rules of Engagement. Love Jenna Elfman and her show. Please continue this series. Thanks.

jan spring March 9, 2010 at 7:52 pm

PLEASE KEEP TIHS SHOW ON. IT IS THE BEST. WHEN WILL NEW EPIDSODES COME ON I WATCH EVERY TIME IT COME ON AND ON IN DEMAND ALL THE TIME. THANK YOU JAN SPRING

jan spring March 9, 2010 at 7:49 pm

please keep the show on the air it is the best. When will we see new epidsodes I can’t wait.This is the best new show of the year. Please let me know when the new epidsodes will be on. I watch on the day it comes on and on in demand over and over again. I can’t get enough of it. ONce again PLEASE KEEP ON THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deena March 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I Love this show as well, totally bummed I can’t veg out for 2 hours uninterrupted. Spade sucks & the dude from Seinfeld had his 15 minutes. Please keep the show on!!!!!