According to Jim: James Belushi Goes to Heaven on the Series Finale

According to JimLast night, ABC’s venerable sitcom, According to Jim, signed off after eight seasons and 182 episodes. The show has been performing poorly in the ratings for quite awhile but ABC just kept on bringing it back.

The reason? Well, sitcoms perform well in syndication. So, even though Jim wasn’t doing well in primetime, ABC Studios more than recoups the expenses when the episodes are rerun on cable and local stations. Similar economics have saved Scrubs.

All things must come to an end though and season eight is the end for Jim. Though ABC maintained that the sitcom could return for season nine, co-star Larry Joe Campbell revealed in December that the show’s sets had already been destroyed. Last month, the network conceded that Jim was indeed finished.

In the series finale, titled “Heaven Opposed to Hell,” Dana (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) and Ryan (Mitch Rouse) return from California for a visit and announce that they’re expecting. Andy (Campbell) and Mandy (Jackie Debatin) also announce that they’re engaged. Jim couldn’t care less and then, while everyone else is congratulating the happy couples, he chokes on a shrimp puff. Everything goes white.

Jim then finds himself walking along in the clouds. He runs into Danny Michalski (Dan Aykroyd) on a motorcycle who tells Jim that they’re both dead. Jim almost gets into heaven but is stopped at the last minutes. He must first go on trial to prove that he’s worthy. God is played by Lee Majors while Satan is portrayed by Erik Estrada.

Did Jim stay on the air too long?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

With Andy as his defense attorney and Dana as the prosecuting lawyer, Jim goes on trial. Through clips, we’re reminded about Jim’s character. His children (Taylor Atelian, Billi Bruno, and Conner Rayburn) testify for him, as does his wife Cheryl (Courtney Thorne-Smith). Unfortunately, it’s not enough. Just when it looks like all is lost, his family and friend tell God that, if he’s sent to Hell, they love Jim enough to go with him. The almighty has no choice but send him back to Earth.

Jim returns, just as Andy has successfully performed the Heimlich maneuver on him and has dislodged the shrimp puff. After he tells his family and friends about his experience, they expect him to say that he’s going to change his ways.

But Jim reasons that it’s his personality that saved him so he should never change a thing. After all, “God don’t want me. The Devil don’t want me. The way I figure it, if I never change, I’ll live forever.” He tosses another shrimp puff in the air and, just as he’s about to catch it in his mouth, the screen goes black. End of series.

Some feel that the sitcom had long overstayed its welcome. Some devoted fans are sorry to see it go. What do you think? Either way, was this a fitting series finale?

Missy October 30, 2012 at 1:30 am

I love According To Jim!! I’m so sad to find out it’s off the air! I’ve been watching re-runs on FOX for like the past 6 months and fell in love with it. I just went online to find out what day/time/channel new episodes were on and I was so sad to see that it’s been canceled for over 3 years :-). Well I’ll just have to go buy each season on DVD or look for it on NETFLIX.

Jenn October 12, 2012 at 1:13 am

Loved according to Jim! Was very sad when it was cancelled

Taker August 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

F@ck ABC for canceling the greatest show. This show made laugh more than any other show. I only watched According to Jim and Family guy . And Jim was my favorite. Of course now i watch Supernatural and Walking Dead but i would definitely watch another 8 seasons of According to Jim. I bought the whole 8 Seasons and i watched every season at least 3 times. You people are crazy for hating on this show

wilmi July 31, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Vivo en Bol. y todas las mañanas antes de ir a hacer las distintas actividades vemos Acording to Jim, y en verdad es fabuloso, sony no emitió el último capítulo sin embargo aún así estamos muy complacidos con la serie. Por favor que vuelva, quizas conversar con los actores principales y pedirles lo consideren.
A proposito no siempre todos pueden votar por el programa, pero me consta al menos aca en Bolivia, todas las personas que tenemos cable vemos ese programa

wilmi July 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

que vuelva la serie , era muy buuuuuuueeeeenaaaa.

Randy April 14, 2012 at 5:42 am

Plz bring back according to jim

Connor April 5, 2012 at 11:12 am

I really love this show, i would like to see more, i live in Germany and i saw according to Jim everyday, now i am like nearly crying because the show is over, i only watched season 8 & 9. PLEASE CONTINUE the show!! rebuild the set!!! best show ever!!! i learned english from that show !! <3

Nat January 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Really good show, I love it. Now i have to wtach it on the internet.

Ed January 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Hi, I was wondering if someone knew who was the singer who sang at the end of the final show of according to jim? Thanks

ray evans May 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm

there is one thing that i cannot understand about the ratings the ratings is just a sample of less than 100.000 people so how can they possibly tell you if more than a million people was watching the show the only way is to lie the ratings are very misleading the only way is to let more than a million people vote on the show for the people who believe the ratings i would like to sell you nasa if you believe the ratings the you are very easy to con the ratings are a con

Miguel September 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I think these last seasons just didn’t had the spark the initial seasons had. Although this show is definitely one of my favorites and I’m really sorry to realize that I will never see Jim and Andy making stupid things, Dana making fun of Jim, and Jim with his kids (that was always a blast).

I don’t know if this season finale was a punch to the network saying “we won’t change and so you won’t cancel us”, but I was expecting something a little bit more “sentimental”. I hoped that by seeing the last episode I could be prepared for the show to end, but I didn’t get prepared at all.

One thing I LOVED from this show is that I don’t think I ever saw one of those “Remember how we did…” and just repeated scenes from previous episodes like “Friends” did. This for me means good work, and not laziness. These actors are great I hope them the best

susan July 31, 2010 at 11:17 am

I LOVE according to Jim, every episode made me laugh and it was very entertaining, i think everyone can relate to the characters in many ways :) The actors were great, the humor was amazing, and the plot to every episode was very realistic! I still watch According to Jim now, I never get bored :) <3

Ciara Walsh February 3, 2010 at 6:59 am

I loved According to jim , it was a lovely family sitcom .

john November 12, 2009 at 6:10 pm

gonna miss it, it was my all time favorite!!!!!!!!!!

Mary November 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm

This was a very fun show to watch. I looked forward to it every week. The characters were funny especially Andy and Dana. The cast had great chemistry together.I don’t like reality tv. I think it’s very degrading, and shows how pathetic people are trying to become famous. I hope ABC reconsiders their decision to cancel the show. There are not many shows left on television that I would allow my kids to watch.