Alcatraz: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Alcatraz canceled, season twoWhen Alcatraz debuted, it looked like the show had a very good chance at being renewed for a second season. But how do things look now? Will the TV series be cancelled after all?

Alcatraz follows police detective Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) and Dr. Diego Soto (Jorge Garcia) as they try to solve the mystery of how 340 prison inmates and guards disappeared in 1963 and are now reappearing in modern day. The cast also includes Jonny Coyne, Parminder Nagra, Jason Butler Harner, and Sam Neill.

The TV show debuted with a solid 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.05 million total viewers. In week two, the demo slipped 9% to a still respectable 3.0 rating with 9.03 million. New shows typically fall 15-20% in their second week so this was a good sign. Week three dropped another 7%. That wasn’t positive but not horrible either.

Unfortunately, the ratings have just kept falling. In February, NBC kicked off the second season of The Voice and Alcaraz took a big hit, dropping 18% on February 6th and then another 17% on the 13th. And the numbers just keep going down. Last week’s episode was a series low with a 2.1 in the demo.

For the first time in many years, the big networks all have really strong programming on Monday nights and FOX has ended up on the bottom. House, which is in its final season, keeps dropping and so does Alcatraz.

TV show supportAlcatraz’s season average is currently a 2.3 in the demo with 7.1 million. On our FOX report card — which ranks the network’s shows based on demo averages — Alcatraz has a “C.” Terra Nova, which has already been cancelled, had a better demo average and has a “C+”. When a show that was performing better than yours has been cancelled, that’s not a good sign.

Alcatraz is definitely on the bubble but, in light of the downward ratings trend, I expect it to be cancelled by May. There’s just no reason to expect that the series will do any better if given a second season.

But, what do you think? Do you think Alcatraz will beat the odds and be renewed for a second season? Should it be cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

617 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

I am sick sick sick of watching the reality shows and voice competitions—it was refreshing to finally have some GREAT options better than those stupid shows—I realize it is hard to compete with the large ratings of those shows, but it would be nice for one network to offer something as good as Alcatraz and let it have enough time to gain a following to battle the invasion and offer an alternative to those of us looking for something different and more imaginative. Please give Alcatraz a second chance-even if it takes a different time slot or settling to not be top on the network standings.

2. Sue Ann says

I hope Alcatraz has a second season this year and next year! It was good show. I like the show. I watched it with my finace.

3. Mike says

I thought Alcatraz was a wonderful show, please reconsider bringing back. there is a lot of content to finish. one of the better written shows.

4. CHIEF says

Wow can’t believe it. With all the twist and turns it actually kept you guessing. Enough with all the reality crap. What not enough sexual content to keep people watching. Good TV is a thing a family can watch together isn’t much of that anymore. Maybe SYFY or AMC can pick it up don’t just leave real fans hanging.

5. maria says

i enjoyed watching alcatraz cant leave me hanging the drama man i hate when i get into a great show and then they cancel please bring it back

6. Aaron says

Please bring Alcatraz back. You cant leave us hanging like that. Her grandfather just stabbed her and then it is never coming back on. I am tired of all the singing shows and alot of the reality shows. Heck I think that Jersey Shore was about as stupid as it gets and they got like 5 seasons

7. Andrew Holinde says

Keep Alcatraz! This show was very intresting and kept me entertained. I was always waiting for next week to watch another episode! Lets keep this show alive!

8. tom says

I watch a lot of TV in the evening, and I was liking Alcatraz, I can say that if there are reruns or nothing to watch but reality shows or another show about people singing to be the next big thing, or to make a million dollars, I run and hide from them and watch reruns of NCIS. It never gets old

9. Anonymous says

Why must all the good shows be cancelled??? I hate reality shows but LOVED ALCATRAZ, it kept you interested and wanting more..I was really looking forward to the next season… DONT PULL IT, KEEP IT!!!!

10. M.R. says

Yes, please bring Alcatraz back. Anyone who did watch it from the beginning, and stopped, they didn’t know how interesting it was a few episodes in. My family and I love it.