Alcatraz: Will It Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Alcatraz canceled, season twoWhen Alcatraz debuted, it looked like the show had a very good chance at being renewed for a second season. But how do things look now? Will the TV series be cancelled after all?

Alcatraz follows police detective Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) and Dr. Diego Soto (Jorge Garcia) as they try to solve the mystery of how 340 prison inmates and guards disappeared in 1963 and are now reappearing in modern day. The cast also includes Jonny Coyne, Parminder Nagra, Jason Butler Harner, and Sam Neill.

The TV show debuted with a solid 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.05 million total viewers. In week two, the demo slipped 9% to a still respectable 3.0 rating with 9.03 million. New shows typically fall 15-20% in their second week so this was a good sign. Week three dropped another 7%. That wasn’t positive but not horrible either.

Unfortunately, the ratings have just kept falling. In February, NBC kicked off the second season of The Voice and Alcaraz took a big hit, dropping 18% on February 6th and then another 17% on the 13th. And the numbers just keep going down. Last week’s episode was a series low with a 2.1 in the demo.

For the first time in many years, the big networks all have really strong programming on Monday nights and FOX has ended up on the bottom. House, which is in its final season, keeps dropping and so does Alcatraz.

TV show supportAlcatraz’s season average is currently a 2.3 in the demo with 7.1 million. On our FOX report card — which ranks the network’s shows based on demo averages — Alcatraz has a “C.” Terra Nova, which has already been cancelled, had a better demo average and has a “C+”. When a show that was performing better than yours has been cancelled, that’s not a good sign.

Alcatraz is definitely on the bubble but, in light of the downward ratings trend, I expect it to be cancelled by May. There’s just no reason to expect that the series will do any better if given a second season.

But, what do you think? Do you think Alcatraz will beat the odds and be renewed for a second season? Should it be cancelled?

Anonymous October 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm

get rid of the shows that mock American idol no need for all the extra ones. and leave the good shows alone.

glen October 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm

when hi heard that the show could be cancelled,i thought it was a joke.now i am very
sad.the show was something diferent and unique.i was never in to watching shows,because i didnt find that they werent any good,but this was one show that i really liked.

Laura October 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

WHY cancel great TV shows like Alcatraz and The Finder and put things like fixed CRAP “talent shows” on instead. I am sick and fed up with inane tripe like the voice and X factor and Americas got talent and BGT.

All the mindless pap like real housewives of Beverly Hills and next top model and pawn stars etc etc should be taken off the air.

And don’t get me started on filming a bunch of bikers who go around shooting and stabbing people and putting them in TV and glamourising them.

IT’S TIME TO STOP REALITY TV SHIT and put proper entertainment on.

Enough is enough.

Carrie Dunne October 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I am sick and tired of these stations cancelling wonderful shows such as Flash Forward, Southland (thankfully TNT picked it up) and now Alcatraz? This is why I don’t watch ABC, CBS or NBC – all they want to keep is the garbage!!!! And I’m older than the so called “demographic”….I just know good shows when I see them. Once upon a time, like a fairy tale, the stations gave shows more than one season to prove themselves. Too bad they don’t anymore.

Lyov October 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’m from Armenia….and every night me with my sister are watching Alkatraz…..we like it….don’t cancel plz….!!!!!!that’s very interesting serial……..

sherry October 10, 2012 at 10:04 pm

i like it i think it should come back

Ayca Un October 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Hi,

As a chance, I heard the series from one of my friend and we are watching it in Turkey. I can say that I became addicted after two part and I finished it in 3 days. İ really would like to watch 2nd season ASAP…. You should evaluate the demand once again.

Anonymous October 10, 2012 at 10:03 pm

i like it it was cool i think it give us a look inside of tr prison

tom October 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I realy think that this was the dumbist thing that you could do to the public .

carmelo palmeri October 8, 2012 at 8:49 am

What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting all summer for the show and you tell me it has been cancelled?

tom October 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I too am schocked that FOX would do something stupid like this . What the %$#@&^% are they thinking

susie October 7, 2012 at 7:14 am

I loved the show but if they have to cancel at least try selling it to another station like the wb who will develop it or give it a good ending. I will go crazy wondering why those convicts were coming back.

Teresa Bogeman October 5, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I loved the show! and now you’re saying we’ll never know the ending? I guess you found yet another lame reality show to put in its place. boooo!

Peter October 4, 2012 at 7:42 pm

U need to get jj Abrams to come with new material he’s the exutive producer & NBC execs. You’ll see the green like always or just employe writers

Amber October 4, 2012 at 3:03 am

Why bothering airing a suspenseful show like Alcatraz and then not continue on with the story line. I want to know that the heck was going on with the “not aging”. Fox, and the other networks, need to stop airing so many stupid reality shows and get back to shows that make your mind work!!!!

Peter October 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I watched it religiously it was dvr’ed but I watched it liked it a lot Sarah jones character what r the writers going to write when she “died”in the season finale.whats next is someone going to avenge her ‘death’ maybe ray her grandfather or what? Please return so I can have some enjoyment

April October 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm

bring it back and put it on a different night so it does not have to compete with the voice be smart it was a great show. Maybe you should widen your test area because my family as well as 7 others I know loved it.

Katty Katg October 1, 2012 at 5:26 am

Alcatraz was such a great show!!! Me and my husband watched it every Monday and waited so long for it to come back….Please don’t cancel!!!