Alcatraz: Complete Series Coming to Blu-ray and DVD

Cancelled TV series AlcatrazFOX’s cancelled Alcatraz TV series is coming to DVD and Blu-ray on October 16th. Unfortunately, it doesn’t sound like the Warner Home Video releases will include any extra insights into what might have been had the show been renewed for a second season.

The press release describes the show this way:

In 1963, all prisoners were transferred from Alcatraz Island Federal Penitentiary. Or so we were told. Now America’s worst criminals – known as the 63s – are returning to the streets of San Francisco to repeat their grisly crimes.

It’s up to top-notch Detective Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) and Alcatraz expert Diego “Doc” Soto (Jorge Garcia) to work with FBI Agent Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) and Dr. Lucy Banerjee (Parminder Nagra) to learn why the 63s are back and to uncover a much larger, more sinister threat.

Get locked into The Complete Series of this suspenseful, mysterious and action-packed drama from executive producer J.J. Abrams (Fringe, Lost).

Alcatraz: The Complete Series will be released on three DVD discs and on two high-def Blu-ray discs. Extras include deleted scenes, a gag reel, and a Alcatraz: Island of Intrigue featurette. The Blu-ray package also includes access to digital Ultra-Violet versions of each of the 13 episodes.

What do you think? Will you be picking up the Alcatraz series on DVD or Blu-ray? Do the digital copies impact your decision to purchase the set?

Canceled and renewed TV show

23 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kim A says

No. I will not be buying the DVD if it only shows the 13 shows that have already aired. I have seen them all. My family never missed a show and if we were unable to be home at the time it came on then we recoreded the show. I am so mad that they cancelled this show.It amazes me that every time a good show comes on they cancel it for something really stupid that you really don’t have to pay attention to, cause evry channel has similiar shows. But because you have to sit and listen to know what is going on. it gets cancelled. what has television come to these days? JUNK just pure JUNK.

2. Widdershins3 says

I’m incredibly bummed that this show was cancelled–still haven’t gotten over losing it–still, I will buy the DVD. But why the incredibly long wait for its release? October 16th?! That’s adding insult to injury. My sincere hope is that whatever smarmy nitwit executive was primarily responsible for axing it is now being punished with an embarrassing, painful and unmentionable digestive disorder 😉 And maybe head lice…

3. Tyler says

Um…Fox didn’t own the show…Fox doesn’t get money from the DVD sales. Yeah, they cut it, and by all means, be pissy at them…but don’t hurt WB’s sales just because the Fox network canceled a show that WB owns; that’s beyond their control.

4. Isaura says

I was so angry that they canceled the show that I stopped watching Touch. No, I am not supporting the network by buying the DVD set. Once Fringe is done I’m done with the network too.

5. Thegrimmling says

Even though I would of liked another season, I think it sort of works with ending the way it did.

The same goes with Persons Unknown.

It leaves the feeling that the mystery is bigger than the central character and even though they a presently involved with current events, their existance in the events in the end will not change anything. The mystery is a living, breathing creature that has shallowed you up and is digesting you.

Makes it a bit more creepy & interesting. Also makes a great springboard for theories and fan- fiction.

6. Richard says

Who does Fox think we are? Idiots that would spend money on a project they weren’t even willing to give a 2nd season too. Wake up Fox! I hope no one buys your unfinished work. At least I won’t be spending a penny!!!!

7. Anonymous says

There is no point in buying it when its the same as
    What was on TV and they are not providing
    The rest of the story or conclusion. I really
    Enjoyed the show and was really looking
    Forward to season 2. I am very disappointed
    In FOX for cancelling it. They suck….

8. Sarah says

They did this with “Persons Unknown” too. It ended with no questions being answered, and that one ended with yet another question. It’s maddening when they do that!

9. says

If we’re not getting any revelations of about the central mystery of the show and what was planned for season two, the these aren’t worth buying. The show was enjoyable, but not *that* good.

10. Lee says

I was one of the loyal viewers of Alcatraz. The worst thing about shows like this never getting an ending or the questions answered. They could have tried at least attempted to answer a few questions. Well, what is the point of buying the DVD. Lastly I think the show kept the viewer too much in the dark, they barely answered any questions throughout the season which probably killed half the viewership which in turn caused the cancellation of the show. I expected better.

• Craig says

I was just thinking the same thing. A graphic novel is an inexpensive way to get the whole story out there.