Aliens in America: CW Cancels Low-rated Sitcom

Aliens in AmericaTo very little surprise, CW has cancelled their critically-lauded but viewer-ignored sitcom, Aliens in America.

The series premiered on October 1, 2007 and focuses on geeky Justin Tolchuk (Dan Byrd), Muslim exchange student Raja Musharaff (Adhir Kalyan), and Justin’s Wisconsin family. Aliens in America’s first 10 episodes aired on Monday nights and averaged an audience of two million. CW moved Aliens to Sunday nights and the ratings have dropped to as low as 810,000.

Coupled with the low ratings, cancellation rumors have recently been circulating because some of the show’s castmembers have been taking on other work. Kalyan has been signed on to a recurring but important role on FX’s Nip/Tuck. He’ll play a 16-year-old prodigy plastic surgeon. Scott Patterson, who plays Justin’s father, was reportedly also available for other projects.

Aliens’ season was cut short by the writers strike but, unlike other series (Bionic Woman, for example), they had shot most of their episodes prior to the shutdown. The sitcom’s first and only season is made up of 18 episodes and it looks like CW will air all of them. The series finale is scheduled to air on May 18, 2008. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Thomas June 28, 2011 at 12:44 am

this was my favorite show back in 2007 I always thought that maby if a small number of people were to make copies of the series and distribute them far and wide that there would be a grass roots demand to get the show back this is a site whare you can watch aliens in america free http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/aliens_in_america/season_1.html people if we show this show to people and ask them to wright to the cw or any other station and tell them that they like aliens in america and they want new episodes thare is a good chance of getting it back on the air.

Z May 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Super sad as well, it was an awesome show that ended years ago but still watch the episodes, it sucked that it ended, but what was even worse was that there was no ending to the show to bring closure to the series…

I wish it could be brought back and finished, it was a truly genuine, clean, and funny. I guess people don’t like shows like that anymore, and want more blood, sex, and drama.

L July 22, 2010 at 5:42 am

im sad right now:(
is their any chance that aliens in america come back?

jay April 8, 2010 at 12:22 am

I watched it, good idea but the writing just wasn’t too good.

Anonymous March 26, 2010 at 3:50 am

It aired a few month ago here in germany, and i liked it a lot. Great acting and sense of humor. I simply love it. It’s very sad that they choose to make more bullshit TV shows, instead of continueing this awesome series.

miguel silva March 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Aliens in America… was a really great and funny show… i had loved ever since it came out and after hearing that it was getting cancelled……
i was shocked!!!!…

admin November 6, 2008 at 12:08 pm

@Linda: No plans yet.

Linda November 6, 2008 at 11:43 am

What a shame. I really liked this show. It was really funny. Does anyone know if they are going to put it on DVD?

Anonymous June 4, 2008 at 4:42 am

So, as usual, quality, funny shows are dropped and reality TV schlock like America’s Next Top Model is renewed. This show was funny and the premise was quite different than Little Mosque, which is also good. Oh well, more time for reading as one less TV favourite to watch in 2008-09.

stella k. May 20, 2008 at 12:01 pm

So sad……I loved this show !

Anonymous May 20, 2008 at 2:47 am

I have my list of shows, like everyone. But this was the only show I had, that made me feel, plain and simply, good.

carolyn May 19, 2008 at 8:38 am

Loved the show……. too bad it didnt’ get the viewers…….

mei May 16, 2008 at 10:07 am

Enjoyed this show a lot… Bummer.

Jason the TVaholic May 11, 2008 at 3:13 am

John, It is too bad that you never checked it out, because then you would’ve found out that your suspicions were incorrect.

John May 10, 2008 at 6:32 pm

It just goes to prove, once again… just because an American network can steal a good idea from another country, it doesn’t mean that they can make it work. This show suddenly appeared right after the CBC ran its first successful season of “Little Mosque On The Prairie” in Canada. “Little Mosque” is a funny and smart, in its comparisons of a Muslim community and how they relate to “the rest of us”.

Alas, I never took the time to catch an episode of “Aliens In America” (likely because I considered it a rip-off of the CBC production), but I suspect that the series was never able to find that balance that it needed, to show the necessary respect for the Muslim religion, and to highlight the “human” foibles that we all have, regardless of how we worship.