All My Children, One Life to Live: ABC Soaps Shopped to Cable

One Life to LiveMany soap fans were happy to learn that Prospect Park had made a deal with ABC to continue cancelled soaps All My Children and One Life to Live online.

Though the production has company said that the shows would “continue to be delivered with the same quality and in the same format and length,” many in the industry doubted that it would be possible to do do this using an online-only model. Some fans expressed disappointment since not everyone has ready access to high-speed internet.

Now, word is that Prospect Park is shopping the soaps to cable channels as well. If a deal can be worked out, it’s expected that the episodes will air on traditional television after they’ve been released online, the opposite of how it’s usually done.

Deadline didn’t report which cable channels are being approached but teases that they are “both big-tent, general entertainment networks and female-centered nets.” The article notes that Prospect Park execs already have a relationship with USA Network.

Both soaps currently air on SoapNet but that will become Disney Junior early next year.

Discussions are still under way with the actor and crew unions to produce the web versions of the soap operas at a reduced cost.

All My Children leaves ABC on September 23rd and One Life to Live says goodbye to network television sometime in January.

What do you think? Would you wait to see the soaps on cable or watch them sooner online?

Canceled and renewed TV show

30 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. judy says

please put them on cable so my 87-year-old mother can continue watching as she has since the first episode.

2. Jess says

I would watch them online AND on TV-I don’t care how I watch them, as long as they are still available for me to watch and the stories continue. Watching them is my favorite part of my day.

3. Deanna says

I would watch them online but do not have the ability plus I couldn’t record them. The only way I can watch them now is by recording them through my DVR. I have watched both soaps from the beginning and it feels like I will lose some of my family, like being in mourning.

4. lilitubee says

I would prefer to see them on the big screen. Been watching
    abc soaps for 30+ yrs and the eyes aren’t what they use to be. My computers are small and my tv’s aren’t internet ready.

5. Judith says

I just want All My Children to continue. Whether the story appears on cable or online doesn’t matter to me, but I think it only fair for viewers who do not have internet access to see their favorite soap as well. Cable would allow all loyal fans to watch.

6. susan berg says

I would watch on television depending on which characters they keep. I have been watching AMC for 40 years and OLTL for 15. I’m very sad to see these shows end. I have no need for ABC anymore.

7. Angela Astarita says

I would perfur to watch it on tv. I have friends that watch it on tv they don’t have a computer.