All My Children: Web Eps Start in September; Who Will Stay?

All My Children Michael E KnightAccording to TV Guide, All My Children fans won’t have to wait long to see the Internet version of the venerable soap opera. The current plan is to launch the new version on Monday, September 26th — three days after the soap says goodbye on ABC.

Current head writer Lorraine Broderick and executive producer Julie Carruthers are expected to stay. Broderick had been working with series creator Agnes Nixon to wrap up all of the major storylines for the finale but, now that the soap is continuing online, that may not happen.

There’s also a report that Susan Lucci has agreed to stay with the daytime drama — though it’s not clear for how long or in what capacity. Most of the other soap’s top performers have yet to begin negotiations but it looks unlikely that all of them will sign on. Reportedly, Michael E. Knight is leaning towards leaving. His representative said, “Michael is looking forward to new roles and new projects.”

Insiders have confirmed to FOX411 what we’ve all suspected. All My Children and One Life to Live are expensive to produce and in order to move them to the web, there will be some serious cost-cutting, including salary cuts for performers and writers.

Both soaps draw About $10,000 per 30 second commercial on ABC and that equals about $250,000 per episode. It’s going to be very difficult for Prospect Park to generate even close to that amount of revenue online.

Brad Adgate, director of research at Horizon Media Inc., believes “Everything is going to be scaled down, from the production costs to paying the writers and everyone involved in the show… It is going to have to be completely scaled back.”

What do you think? Which castmembers/characters are crucial for the show to succeed online?

Brenda September 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

I have been watching AMC since the first day it aired and I am so upset it is being canceled. I will not watch anything on ABC again. I don’t understand why Soap Net does not pick up AMC and OLTL since it is a soap opera channel instead playing all the old shows like 90210 etc. just wandering if anyone thought of moving it to Soap Net it would make sense. Who wants to watch another cooking show that is what the cooking channel is for. ABC is making a huge mistake and they will have one less viewer after Sept 23, 2011.

stephanie September 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I have been watching all ABC for as long as I can remember and I think ABC is very foolish for cancelling them but whatever. Am I the only one who is thrilled that they’re still going to live on? I don’t care where they air new episodes I will efinately be tuned in!!

Pam September 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

I have been watching AMC since 1977 and have enjoyed it through out all the years. When working I would record it on the old VHS tapes & watch it at a later time. Now that I work from home I record it on the DVR and watch every episode at my convenience. Sure hope ABC does not expect me to watch something else in AMC time slot. It will not happen. If we wanted to watch cooking shows that is what the food network channel is for. And for the View that is also on ABC that show is annoying with everyone talking all over each other. Please leave things along that have worked well for all these years. If you need to change it to a different time slot I am sure that would be fine with all the viewers. Not many shows left on ABC worth watching anymore.

Jenn Wade August 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

Michael E. Knight cannot leave the show. It wouldn’t be AMC withou him.

Barbara Tubb August 5, 2011 at 3:42 pm

OWN Network should purchase All My Children . When AMC ends on ABC I will not watch ABC daytime at all

FS August 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

Soaps have been popular for decades. We don’t need more cooking shows. If we have to pay to watch them on the computer, I’m out. No more soaps for me. It looks like TV is dieing a slow death.

Ally July 22, 2011 at 10:57 am

I don’t think AMC will be successful on the internet, especially if you are going to have to pay to watch it & I am sure that is where its headed. I am very curious to see how they will end AMC in Sept on ABC & then transition it the next day to the internet. I have my fingers crossed but I am very doubtful. Only time will tell.

Mary July 21, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I’am just being funny now you know you can get the crew to cook you a turkey for things goving that will be nice to take AMC and OLTL off of tv I wish you luck buy

Mary July 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

My youtube is not working. And all my children is going online. I have tried everything to get it going want do. I know what you are thinking I can’t help that. I know fans are happy that prospect park are taking AMC and OLTL over I’am glade for them. what about rest of the fans what they going to do if they conford a computer or Internet. Its sad you know it. I love these soaps I have to say good by thanks to abc well I guess after you all get the fans out of you hands that will be good news. Turkeys

Carol Spangler July 20, 2011 at 9:26 pm

It is hard for me to comment because I love them all and hate any of them leaving because ABC doesn’t care about the fans but I guess Erika (the real one), Kendall and her handsome doctor, JR, Tad and Cara, and David must stay for sure but again I don’t want to see anyone leave.

Joyce Fenner July 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm

The bone you threw us is not enough the boycott is still on some Soap Fans cannot afford internet,and I bet your thinking it is going to fail ,just trying to silence us Soap Fans ————————–not working ABC still sucks___________________

Penni Gallagher July 20, 2011 at 6:55 am

Revamping the approach to life is needed. Update stories incorporating a more realistic look at what could really happen in Pine Valley. Soaps have a tendency to create ridiculous story lines. Annie and Jr were great. Marissa is completely boring. The gay story lines are a part of the times and should be addressed and presented but not the way they presently are. Examine Gay issues and Gay lifestyles. Don’t bring Dixie back unless she plans to stay. What now, David has resurrected her from the dead. Ridiculous. They have already had shows about her in the afterlife. Jake and Amanda are boring. I like Jesse and Angie and see real possibilities for them. Liza needs to stay, and so does David. David does well in convincing audiences he is evil and them convincing the audience he is really good. What a tightrope.

Judy July 17, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I don’t like Angie or Jesse. I think they are boring, & they’ve had there time, & it’s past! I don’t like Bianca, no matter who plays her. I’m sick & tired of gay story lines. Sick & boring! Kendall is so so. I say yes to Tad, Eica, Jack & Jr. Bring back crazy Annie! Her & JR had great cemistry!

Anonymous August 7, 2011 at 5:34 am

sick of strait storylines.

Mike July 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’m canceling TNT from my channel line up for next season!!

abeljoe July 16, 2011 at 11:36 am

I just can’t see this happening successfully on the internet. But to keep popular I think would have to have Erica, Jack,JR,Kendall,Angie,Jesse,Bianca,Tad,Cara, at least these probably a few more.