Almost Human: Cancelled by FOX, No Season Two

Almost Human canceled or season twoFOX has lowered the ax on Almost Human. The show has been cancelled after one season of 13 episodes.

Taking place in the future, Almost Human follows the partnership of a distrustful cop (Karl Urban) and an android capable of emotion (Michael Ealy). The cast also includes Minka Kelly, Mackenzie Crook, Michael Irby, and Lili Taylor.

The series started strongly in the ratings but the numbers declined over the course of the season. The season finale hit a series low with a 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.6 million total viewers.

Almost Human was reportedly still in the running for a second season until recently. Apparently several of FOX’s new pilots are strong contenders for next season so network execs have decided to let Almost Human go.

What do you think? Did you like this series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Tam.M May 11, 2014 at 3:27 am

I would just like to add that, if the show were picked up/rebooted/made into a movie that all major cast members be retained, including the actors for the MX units :o)

Tam.M May 11, 2014 at 3:20 am

Right from the off i loved the chemistry between John and Dorian. I thought Karl Urban and Michael Ealy played off each other wonderfully; the humor they created and the intermixing of emotions will, i’m sure live long, and be fondly remembered by us fans.

I second the idea of a movie a year or two from now, as in the case of Firefly – a show that also blazed a wonderfully humanistic trail, and that lives on in our hearts and minds.

Who knows, an exec at some other channel, BBC, are you listening?, might take up the reigns – and if so, please please please, hold the last aired episode, “Straw Man” as your benchmark.

I would like to give a heartfelt thanks to all those involved in the production of Almost Human, from cast and crew alike, you should be proud of the work you put into this show.

And as some others have already stated, viewing patterns have shifted, it only makes sense that so too should the classification for a successful show be updated and brought out of the dark ages.

R.I.P. Almost Human.

Rachel S May 10, 2014 at 10:33 pm

They should have kept it.

juliette May 10, 2014 at 8:48 pm

WHY!!! PLEASE SAY YOU’RE JOKING!
I loved this show. This makes no sense at all People don’t watch TV the same way they did even a year ago. We stream it to watch when we have time. People also love to binge watch a show, so they don’t have to wait for it. Give your shows more time before you cancel them! I HATE FOX!!!!!!!!

Jose Viegas May 10, 2014 at 6:24 am

Does anybody know what are the metrics they use the evaluate who is following the show ? Do they count the internet streaming as well ?

Jose Viegas May 10, 2014 at 6:23 am

It’s amazing how American Producers are still short sightseeing. I know that most TV shows try to compete at the same time and probably they didn’t realize yet, that we are on a global market, and there’s live beyond US (and that not all shows target the same audience). Fiction was always better accepted in Europe than in the US, and it’s frustrating to see over and over great shows being cancelled by FOX and others, just because people in the US like the commercials on the other channel more (yes, having commercial breaks at every 10 minutes, is a turn off). And then, the show comes to Europe, and is a Hit, only to know that it’s already cancelled (if I was an European Network, I wouldn’t ever buy a show that is prematurely cancelled). What’s the point of US networks producing Sci-Fiction series (which are great) when they already know that they’ll be cancelled ? Bring them to Europe first…probably it will become a Hit, once Americans realize that Europeans like them (as Dr. WHO) .

ZiPu May 10, 2014 at 3:52 am

Honest. This show was realy much better then any serial ever seen.This show must keep going with another season cause you see…for us its something new,something about future and i didn’t miss any episode from start.All what we miss its next episodes!!!

PeteB May 10, 2014 at 2:35 am

Really a great show. The relationship between the two always made me laugh
And their future is pretty much what we’re all expecting the future to be like. It’s futuristic yet believable and within our lifetimes
Should be renewed.

Echo Cooksey May 10, 2014 at 2:34 am

We loved this show! So did my college son and all of his friends. So much better than a lot of programs on any network. I just love how the stupid shows about vapid people like the Kardasians get renewed yet intelligent programs like Almost Human gets cancelled. I hope a more enlightened network picks them up. It appears the people at fox had it in for this series from the beginning. Apparently they did not even show the initial episodes that explained why there was a wall, great decision fox seemed your plan worked, I will make sure I dont bother with your network anymore, just a waste of time.

PeteB May 10, 2014 at 2:34 am

So much potential
Maybe we’ll get a movie in a few years like Firefly

Dorian Gómez May 9, 2014 at 1:44 pm

The show should be renewed! It´s a fresh show, nice effects and great actors. Hope FOX change it´s mind and give the show a second season. I´m sure ratings will rise.

Jill May 9, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Really bummed!! Never missed an episode. And I loved the chemistry between John and Dorian. Wish another network would pick up. With all the reality crap on TV, a good show comes along and they cancel it. Makes no sense.

Reuben B May 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

Certainly does seem that FOX has no vision at all, as with seemingly other companies… it’s all about how much they can fill their pockets, at the end of the day shouldn’t it really be about the viewers (regardless of the numbers)… isn’t it the idea of any series/film to open the viewers mind to the endless ideas of what things could be ‘around the corner’ and to entertain?

Almost Human in my opinion was one of these series, where it got you thinking ‘what if’ the future will turn out this way with the way technology is growing… yet something that opens the mind is canned, yet other stupid series like oh say Revenge are still around… what does that show teach people, that it’s okay to set out to destroy people because they ruined your life… is it any wonder the world is such a messed up place!

Jim C May 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I thought this show was really good, didn’t miss an episode. Karl Urban and the rest of the cast were great. I did expect that it wouldn’t have a long run, however. Fox has a history of cancelling their best shows, especially those with a science fiction theme, and keeping the junk. Pity this quality show had to be on Fox.

DougH. May 6, 2014 at 1:19 pm

What a bummer, this was one of the best. Different and intersting. The charactors were cool and the plot was interesting each show. I am sad to see the end of this. I wish another cable network would pick it up because FOX has no depth of vision bucks rule, most of the new shows will be trash I bet. What else can be done?