American Dream Builders Season One Ratings

american dream builders ratingsExtreme Makeover: Home Edition preformered well for ABC for many years. Could American Dream Builders be a ratings success for NBC or will it be cancelled after one season? We shall see.

On American Dream Builders, designers and builders must quickly rennovate homes and avoid elimination by pleasing the judges (Nate Berkus, Eddie George, and Monica Pedersen).

Update: Will this show be cancelled or renewed for another season?

Final season averages: 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.83 million total viewers.

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated chart, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here.

What do you think? Do you like the American Dream Builders TV series? Would you like to see it cancelled or renewed for second season?

GinaMarina June 1, 2014 at 2:25 am

I was so excited for the concept of this show. I was so disappointed in the judging, especially in the finale. Nate totally penalized Jay for not doing all the decorating work. This show was called “American Dream Builder” not “American Dream Designer”. Nate or the powers that be need to decide what their expectations of contestants and the parameters of the show are. As any contractor knows, much is delegated, experts are used in whatever discipline needed; plumbers for plumbing, decorators for décor, landscapers for landscaping, etc., and a successful builder schedules, delegates, & oversees the entire process as Jay was very successful in doing. He pulled together his vision beautifully guiding the ship, his team & meeting the family’s needs. Why introduce families with their stories and needs if the designers go totally nuts putting their “avant-guarde” spin on the design/décor that does not even fit the location or the clients needs. Seriously- a black beach house. The other two judges were horrified yet buckled to Nate who raaaavvved over Nate continuously, probably afraid they wouldn’t have a job next season if they stuck to their opinions! There were so many design flaws and omissions with Lucas, not to mention that he never considered who he was designing for. It was imperative for his to push the design envelope & you do don’t put your taste in the clients home, you help them pull their dreams, taste and needs together. A 12′ with two bench seats is a horrible idea-when one person needs to get in or out, the entire bench of people have to move the bench and the ends couldn’t be used for seating as there were no rooms for their legs and seriously, totally white in a beach house with kids!!! Nate better get out of not only this show but the design business if this is his idea of a winning designer. Is Lucas artistically gifted, yes, but a megalomaniac has no business foisting his totalitarianism on his clients. His talents would be better used designing & making furniture. Jay, you got robbed, and if you read this blog, it is very obvious! Shame on you Nate…Keep the show, find a better group of judges that really know what they are talking about and not afraid to stand by their opinions. I also think that unpublished, unrecognized contestants would be better, although it was fun watching Elaine think she was “all that” and no one wanted her on their team, HA, HA!

Terry Pittard June 15, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Black,
Need I say more?
Jay was robbed for his excellent work,
Just because Lucas put his name on every room?
E-mail voting by the public would have stopped this injustice.

Anonymous May 29, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I think the viewers should picked the winner. I don’t know what the judges were thinking. I think Jay should had won. His house was beautiful.

Crystal May 30, 2014 at 10:48 am

This show was called American Dream Builders, Jay was a true builder and he proved he was a great designer, he should have won. I was very disappointed in the show’s ending.

Mary May 26, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I loved the show. Because of the time slot we had to DVR it – but that was OK. I like Nate, Eddie and Elaine. They each brought different views and opinions. Did seem like Nate how the final word – I guess one of them had to have the most weight. I enjoyed the show and even my husband got to watching it and commenting on different rooms. On the final – I think Lukas is a fabulous designer and some things – like the lights he made – are fantastic. His house to me looked glamorous – a bit cold – and not what I would want to visit on the beach – museum like. Jay’s house was warm and inviting. The outdoor area was fantastic. And the upstairs with those “nano” doors – what a great idea! He added so much room with those 2 concepts. I think every good designer has a team trying to fulfill their ideas so the comments that it wasn’t his design were not fair. If someone were doing my home – well, I would rather have Jay. (and Lucas has had so many pieces that just weren’t comfortable). So – don’t agree with Nate’s final decision – but do like the show.

Anonymous May 26, 2014 at 6:34 pm

The show should have another chance in a better time slot. I loved watching it. I think there were some designers that were very good. It’s nice to see a show that designs homes from scratch rather than simple makeovers. HGTV stopped Sarah Richardson’s shows as well as some other talented designers. We need more creative home designs. I hope this show isn’t cancelled as well.

Cp May 26, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Watched every week and enjoyed but feel that the judges were totally unfair with who they picked as the winner. Jay understood it was a beach house and did everything to bring the outside in. Movable walls, glass balcony railings, etc. furniture can change but he improved the bones of the property immensely. The other house looked like it would by in the city. Why would you have a Moroccan themed living room at the beach? He did nothing to respect the homes location and beautiful views. Very disappointing. Designer judges who did not appreciate a builders vision.

Marie May 25, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Cancel…cancel…cancel. They are so biased, (Nate) They picked the wrong winner. It was fixed. Maybe Nate Has an alterior motive…wth Lucas.

Anonymous May 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Completely agree! I would have liked seeing a new season until the finale. The judges were so biased towards Lukas it was ridiculous. I don’t think it mattered what Jay or Lukas did because the judges had already decided who they wanted to win. Lukas painted the house so it looked like it was charred in a fire and still won… Gimme a break. Many of Jay’s designs weren’t family friendly or functional (who wants to sit in stone chairs or eat meals on a bench every day) but the judges kept saying how functional his space was. By mid episode I realized Lukas could have taken a dump in the middle of the living room and Nate would’ve eeewwed and aaawwweed about Lukas’ creativity. I’m not going to watch another season if it’s renewed because of the obvious bias.

gnathology May 28, 2014 at 1:01 am

I totally agree. I don’t know if Nate was influenced by mutual gender identification and social identity, but it sure was not for the poor family whose dreams were crushed with a home renovation designed not for the residing owners in contrast to the arrogant designer to satisfy his bond with Nate. This show will be great without Nate; otherwise, the show be canceled from the perspective of the declining ratings week after week (except for the 5th). No wonder his shows don’t last. Nate’s insult to Jay was disrespectful, insulting, and demeaning to the skills of Jay. The dichotomy in the perspectives from one person (Nate) calling Jay a designer than telling Jay he (Nate) was not sure if he could have ever designed the home on his own. Two problems: 1) make contestants do the without assistance, and 2) Jay should have been voted off long before reaching the final two. In other words, Nate wanted Elaine out because she could have won over Lucas. Further, the black paint should have lost him the contest regardless of the inside, which was still family unfriendly.

Jim May 29, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Did you notice that they did not show any filming of the family ooh-ing and aah-ing over the design? That was probably because the family of the winning designer was probably in tears, and it would have shown that they made a poor decision.

Terry Pittard June 15, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Because they driving to Home Depot
to buy paint so they could repaint.

Terry Pittard June 15, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Elaine could have won????????
There was no way with her??????lost for words????
Think that she was kept on for the DRAMA factor????

Anonymous May 25, 2014 at 9:56 pm

R May 21, 2014 at 2:41 am

I really like the show. I think that it was not promoted enough to get attention. Also, it would be better if the designers/builders were not people who worked for Oprah and such. It should cast people who want to grow and become well known. There are a lot of wonderful designers out there. If NBC cancels the show, it will probably do well on Bravo.

Diane May 16, 2014 at 2:32 pm

American Dream Builders faced stiff competition in the Sunday night time slot. The ratings were higher in the Monday night time slot following The Voice. Renew the show for another season, move the time slot, and schedule additional trailers and advertising. It deserves another chance!

Anonymous May 17, 2014 at 10:37 am

Agreed. The show is great. Im not much on design, but, this is a really great show. Please renew

Scott Freidman April 28, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I was looking up this show today and came accross this site only saw last night’s episode and I was like, when did this show start? I never heard about it. and me and my buddy thought is was cool. I never make comments so I just wanted to send a message out that we are fans and are gooing to keep watching now. We are in Kansas City and I know if our family and friends would have seen anything about this show we’d all be talking about it like I am now.

ELLE April 22, 2014 at 6:16 am

Good concept, terrible show ! Who are these designers or judges beside Nate?

lisa maia April 13, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Fake…fake…fake. No charisma between supposed designers. Host Nate boring. Ironic he is Exec. Producer. His first show backed by Oprah failed. Now he casts another Oprah pal Elaine on show. Then on tonight’s episode the winning team with Elaine is judged by Better Homes and Gardens where she works. Are you kidding me? Do you this the public is that stupid?? Wow!!!

Crystal April 8, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I was really looking forward to this show however, I feel like it could be much better if it were more about designers that aren’t well known like say diy bloggers, and also if they would do homes outside of CA as well. It’s just not at all what I expected. And I feel like they are clearly keeping certain people on the show just to add some drama. Other than that it’s an ok show. I love Nate So I plan on watching this show each week in hopes that it will get better.

Punkin Burk April 7, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I love the idea of dream builders but their designers suck ! They really don’t know how to put a room together. The cabin episode in CA. Was awful. Where did they find these idiot designers. I am a auto assembler and I know not to put city designs in a cabin. Awful. I can put a room together better than any of these yutzes. Nate Berkus rocks tho. So do his judges.

Crystal April 8, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I agree those cabins were way to modernized for my taste, for a cabin anyway. I think they give the designers challenges that are outside their comfort level to see how well they perform .

Christopher Bernard March 26, 2014 at 1:06 am

Would like to get some information on getting my farther house repaired on the show thank you Christopher Bernard phone number is (619)569-7053 address 38780 old hwy. 80 boulevard ca. 91905 thanls