American Idol: Fewer Episodes for 2014-15 Season

American Idol 2014-15 seasonThere won’t be quite as much American Idol on the FOX schedule next season. The show’s dropped in the ratings once again this season so next year’s competition will feature a new “more streamlined” format, according to FOX Chairman Kevin Reilly.

Two episodes will air each week through the audition process. Then, Idol will be cut back to one two-hour episode a week for the remainder of the season.

At its peak, Idol accounted for 50 hours of programming in a single season. Reilly estimates that there will be about 37 hours in 2015. Ryan Seacrest, Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr. are all expected to return next season.

He doesn’t plan on cancelling the show anytime soon however. “We believe Idol will be on the air for many years to come,” Reilly said.

What do you think? Are you still watching American Idol? How does this season compare to previous years?

Teresa Bailey September 24, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Yes, I’m still watching and will in the future. Out of all the singing competitions, I enjoy AI the best.

Janer June 18, 2014 at 6:02 am

It’s done it’s time. After Joshua Ledet was cheated they lost me. .
Even though Candice Glover is GREAT!!!!!!! We still feel Joshua was cheated

Jim J. May 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm

First, “So You Think You Can Dance” has its results show dropped. Then “Dancing With the Stars” has its results show dropped. Now “American Idol” is having its results show trimmed (reducing its running time, now the number of episodes). I have to admit, these reality competitions’ results shows are an absolute waste of scheduling.

Barb May 21, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I think Idol will be cancelled if not 2015 then it will in 2016. That’s because of The Voice’s ratings far beat Idol’s. American Idol just doesn’t have what it takes like it used to in the beginning. So move over Idol. You’ve had a good run!

athena rose May 12, 2014 at 9:22 pm

well many thoughts on American idol LOL….I have been watching the show since the beginning of time LOL……I don’t dislike it actually I prefer it over the voice (but I do love usher )…………..so glad all 3 judges are coming back….I love them all – they are a good fit – no drama & they go together well :)

ryan seacrest……..hmmm….whats up with him this year…..hes acting all goofy & weird……ryan comedy is not ur thing……u are a super host….just stick to being a great host :)

as far as cutting back on the show………….I do agree with that………..maybe its me but do we really need to see all those silly auditions……….for me they are a waste of time………….maybe stream line the auditions & have us just see the top 40 & then get to the actual show……………….

then when the show actually starts I prefer more singing & less “lets get to know everyone “…….ok well what I mean is yes its nice to hear a little here or there about the contestants but not an overload…………its a singing show & I want to see more of their talent :) also I wasn’t a fan of the duets………but that’s just me……………and I am sooooo glad they got rid of these cheesy opening numbers LOL

so glad its renewed & glad it will be more streamlined :) still enjoy the show !!!

oh I would love to see a songwriting category…………..if u can write & sing that’s a plus for me :)

Tony Greco May 12, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Year after year the good singers go home. A few years ago they sent the girl from Howard Beach, NY home. That is when I started to dislike Idol.

Can you tell me what Randy Jackson is doing there?

Maybe its time for a cast makeover starting with Seacrest. He is getting worn out.

Change the judges every year as well. They spend more time looking at Jennifer than anything else.

Why do you make people sing after they have been eliminated?

Take a look at X-Factor; they seem to have a better idea!

Why Watch May 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Better yet, how about zero hours of American Idol.

Tha Critic May 12, 2014 at 12:56 pm