America’s Next Great Restaurant: NBC Reality Series; Cancel or Keep It?

America's Next Great Restaurant cancel keepNBC recently debuted a new reality TV show for Sunday nights, America’s Next Great Restaurant, and paired it with the latest edition of Celebrity Apprentice. How is it faring? Will it last as long as Donald Trump’s series or be cancelled after one season?

America’s Next Great Restaurant features contestants from across the country who pitch restaurant ideas to a panel of chef and entrepreneur judges. Those who are chosen go through various challenges and are mentored until a winner is chosen. The winner of the competition will receive financial backing so that they can open three restaurant locations, one each in Los Angeles, Minneapolis, and New York. Judges include Curtis Stone, Bobby Flay, Lorena Garcia, and Steve Ells.

The series first aired on Sunday, March 6th. It attracted a very under-whelming 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.59 million viewers, a distant last place for the timeslot. In week two, the ratings dropped 13%, registering a 1.4 demo rating and 4.06 million. Last night, the reality series dropped another 14%, to a 1.2 demo rating and 3.93 million viewers (per the early ratings).

What do you think of America's Next Great Restaurant?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After just three airings, America’s Next Great Restaurant is already one of NBC’s worst-performing shows of the season and there’s no indication that the numbers won’t keep falling.

This one is a ratings dud and there’s simply no reason for NBC to bring it back for a second season. More than likely, they’re trying to figure out if they want to air the remaining six episodes. For now, the finale is scheduled to air on May 1st.

But, what do you think? Is the series worth watching? Would you keep it on the air or just cancel it already?

kevin goodman March 28, 2011 at 12:59 am

I have the best resturant idea ever. Bet my idea could bring real ratings to this show.
But i guess we’ll never know..

Irene March 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

This is not the kind of food reality show that holds one”s interest! It would be far better if NBC came up with a cooking channel reality show of ordinary people who are rated on their deliciously made dishes against the well known chefs! The prize would be a time slot for an unknown cook to be paid on the food channel network! Thats what I call a great reality show!!!!

Sandy March 27, 2011 at 5:35 pm

You need to find people that can really cook! I would really like to open my own restaurant in Canada, but I can cook and I do not need a “chef”! I think that will be the downfall of this show!

Ian March 26, 2011 at 5:22 am

America’s Next Great Restuarant is a fantastic show. I have been impressed with the producers ability to create a platform for so many restaurant ideas at once and the execution of the step by step process that it takes to bring an idea from concept to completion. The amount of money that the judges are investing is also impressive but what is even moreso is their time commitment. Since time is priceless that fact that each of these chefs.CEO’s/entrepreneurs are willing to devote their time to these fledgling restauranteurs is commendable. This show gives individuals with food dreams an opportunity of a lifetime to take a bite out of.

Nunya March 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I really like this show. I don’t know about having a season 2 but i think they should definitley keep this season going! I’m rooting for meltworks!

Chris March 29, 2011 at 2:53 am

Meltworks is by far, in my opinion, the best idea on the show. It is too bad he is not making a great classic grilled cheese that the lame ego driven judges want. A grilled cheese restaurant would do so well in any city. Its a simple concept that any business person in a city can go and get a quick classic lunch. Pair it with some tomato soup and its a classic American lunch. So what if we can make it at home. The fact is, is that people love it so much that they make it at home. People in the city dont go home for lunch, they don’t have time. They want to go out and have something they like. And the majority of people like grilled cheese. If this doesn’t win, it will be a shame. Also, the Tiffin Box was the coolest name. Im sad he changed it. Rolls off the toungue.

Jasmin March 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I like the show. It doesn’t have the glits and glamour, but I think it has potential.

Bruce March 23, 2011 at 7:58 am

Wait, what’s the deal here? I thought that magic 18-49 demo flocked to “reality” shows. Hmmm. Well it’s not a “dance dance dance” show, that’s the problem. The brain dead network audience will not appreciate this kind of show. This would do better on Food Channel, where the audience has an attention span longer than a gnat’s, and who is interested in food and restuarants, rather than who Snooky is hooked up with this week. Should have put it on cable, NBC.

matt sutton March 22, 2011 at 7:13 am

love the show..but didn’t know about it.. they need to promote it better and maybe get a couple more big personalities along side Bobby Flay..

JerryP March 22, 2011 at 3:02 am

I enjoy the show and I NEVER watch “reality TV” because they are not real to me. I think the editing of the show is brilliant. I’m looking forward to seeing which restaurant “wins” and, since I live in NY, I’m even looking more forward to trying the food!

Kevin March 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Funny thing about chipolte and the way they portray it and the founder you would think he’s some kind of genius. They never mention that McDonald’s bought it from him when it was very small in Denver and franchised it and made it the icon it is. They have since sold their stake in it but no way did Steve Ells grow this company to this level. That dweeb is lucky someone grew the company for him.

richard March 21, 2011 at 7:45 pm

terrible show. Watcched 20 mins. or so….YuK!!

sherre March 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I love the show, I just started to watch it, I didn’t know it was on. I would like to be a contestant.
I hope it doesn’t go off the air.

Mike March 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

The shows not bad, but why Minneapolis and not Chicago?

Dylan March 22, 2011 at 7:40 am

Mall of America is the number one travel destination in the United States, I think around 44 million annual visitors.

Meme March 24, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Because Minneapolis is better and chicago sucks!!!

Kim March 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

Chicago doesn’t suck – but MinnyApple is better.
Love the show – finally a Real Reality Show.

sandy March 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I love the new show. Keep it going.

obisgirl March 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I think probably the only thing America’s Next Great Resturant had going for awhile was the buy one/get one free Chipotle promotion. I must have must watched that promo like 8 times to get my free coupon at the end. but no, it didn’t persuade me to watch the show.