The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien: Andy Richter Opens Up About the Late Night Fiasco

Andy RichterIn his first on-air appearance since the end of The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien, former (and likely future) sidekick, Andy Richter, co-hosted Live with Regis and Kelly this morning and, as you might expect, there was a good amount of discussion about the end of late night series.

On the show, Richter talked about the misconception about the”golden parachutes” that the Tonight Show staff is receiving, who’s currently paying his salary, his track record for getting cancelled, his true feelings about the whole late night fiasco, and Jay Leno.

Take a look…

What do you think? Did anything Richter say surprise you? Do you agree or disagree with his point of view?

Canceled and renewed TV show

6 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jeff says

I’m no expert on the workings of network television, nor do I claim to be, but to me the whole aspect of having a “strong lead-in” seems to be a little antiquated doesn’t it? It’s not like it’s the 1970’s and people are having to actually get up and change the channel. Back then I could understand just leaving the TV on one channel and then watching whatever local news comes on @ 11 and then whatever late night show. Today, with remote controls, DVRs, cable and satellete tv, don’t people just change the channel to whatever series, news and late night shows they prefer? It’s not like you have to get up, change the channel, adjust the antenna or whatever. I usually record what shows I want to watch and watch them when it is convenient for me, and most of the time it is on different networks at different times. I watch my local CBS affiliate every night for news, though I very rarely watch CBS programming @ 10pm. I think that with technology being what it is today, you either get the ratings or you don’t…

And for the record I’ve always liked Jay, and will continue to watch him, though it will be the next day thanks to my trusty DVR.

2. Leo says

Andy is awesome! Before this whole debacle I liked Jay, but after seeing what kind of guy he truly is I lost all respect I had for him. I hope Conan comes back and kicks his butt.

3. david says

It takes time to be #1 again! its a new host, a new show nbc didnt give them enough time! after this so-called tour Fox should really pick them up and give them a show!!

4. Patrick says

And so ur trying to say that Jay was 1st when he started out on the tonight show? The ONLY reason Jay was able to hold the spot long enough to gain #1 status was because Carson didnt come back after 7 months and say “Hey I’m gonna **** Jay over”

5. Michael says

It’s refreshing to see someone speaking honestly about something like that. Whatever the deal with the ratings was it’s still true that once again bland drivel won out to originality. Andy always comes off as the nice guy so I’m glad he’s the first to get his licks in

6. Neal Alhadeff says

Andy forgets that the Conan Tonight Show was in 3rd place before Jay becames the lead-in. Take some responsibility, Andy. You guys put on a weak show. Jay didn’t help, but you guys blew it on your own.