Angel: Joss Whedon Thinks Angel Would Kick Edward Cullen’s Butt

Edward Cullen and AngelRomantic vampires are all the rage once again, what with HBO’s popular True Blood series and fans anxiously awaiting the release of the next Twilight movie. So, what does Joss Whedon, creator of Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, think about this renewed interest in the genre?

In talking to MTV, Whedon recalled back to 1997 when he was originally conceiving the now-legendary romance between brooding vampire Angel (David Boreanaz) and beautiful slayer Buffy Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar).

He said, “I thought a vampire romance with a slayer… people are going to laugh me out of the room. They’ll never go for it. Clearly I was wrong. There’s something really timeless about it. I saw Twilight… there’s something primal about that story. You can’t get away from it and it just works like gangbusters.”

But make no mistake about it, Whedon still backs his guy. Who does he think would win in a battle of Angel and Twilight’s Edward Cullen?

Whedon says, “I think Robert Pattinson is really cool. Angel would kick the s**t out of him. He’s Angelus. There’s no Edward ‘Cullunus.’ He just gets shiny in the sun. Boreanaz would have him down in a heartbeat. No offense, cause [Pattinson 's] hot.

What do you think? Would Angel win or would Edward surprise?

Amy Dorough August 13, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I love both of them…but Angel would kick Edward’s shinny butt without a sweat…XD

Michelle August 13, 2009 at 10:11 am

Angelus &Angel is hotter then Edward

Sunni August 13, 2009 at 10:03 am

Remember when Angel was dying and he bit Buffy?….Yummm….

Makes Edward seem rather creepy in comparison. All that stalker-like watching Bella sleep…ewww

Angel is a real man (an undead one anyway). Enough of these boys thinking they would ever stand a chance against Angel or Spike!

nightmare August 13, 2009 at 9:29 am

Hahaha. Angel and Buffy should just dust that Edward guy xD
Buffy && Angel all the way.. Twilight’s lameeee.

flo August 13, 2009 at 3:01 am

Angel all the way. Sometimes Ireally wish all the originals would come back and show these kids how a true vampire movie/show plays out with all romeo and juliet style love. tragic and painful not baseball fields and paper cuts

paul gonzagowski August 12, 2009 at 10:39 am

It would probably take the whole cullen clan just to beat the Angel and I don’t think that would even happen.Edward is a pussy cat to angel.

Paul Gonzagowski

julie August 11, 2009 at 9:57 pm

There is no comparison. David Boreanaz is extremely hot and has a great physique. Angel wouldn’t even work up a sweat battling Edward.

kris August 11, 2009 at 6:20 pm

i think angel would totaly kick the crap out of edward…i mean come on angelus was made to one of the worst vampires to ever walk among the living..what does edward have in his corner..oooh look i shimmer in the sun light…the books twilight may have been good but the movie and the way that vampires are portrayed in the movie and book is totaly gay…i love the concept of vampires and if i were ever to meet one to be my sire it would have to be angelus….

Katie August 11, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Heck yeah! Angel would totally take Edward down

Joe August 11, 2009 at 8:38 am

ANGEL would WIN!!! Twilight is LAME and so are the so-called vamps.

Sara August 10, 2009 at 4:34 pm

There would be no contest here. Angel would win hands down. I honestly doubt there would even be much of a fight. The only thing that Cullen would have going for him is he has family to back him up while Angel only had spike.
Angel will forever be the number one vampire in my heart. While he was dark and broody and the love story between him and buffy were epic and can’t be redone ever in such a manner. You have to say that Angel could kick some serious as* when needed.
Awww.. be still my heart. mmmm. Angel. :)
DB is the best looking vamp ever and forever will be!

Cynthia August 10, 2009 at 1:03 pm

ANGEL would WIN!!! Twilight is LAME and so are the so-called vamps.

lulabalulah August 10, 2009 at 1:02 pm

C’mon! NO CONTEST! Pattinson is a just a scrawny pretty boy who looks like he’s constantly about to cry; Boreanaz is an ex-jock who looks like he’d just grin at you if you broke his nose! Harmony could’ve taken Edward…or even better- LORNE could’ve taken Edward!!!!

Aeryn Sun August 10, 2009 at 7:51 am

Sure Angel would win, it is not rocket science.

Now just for the record everyone is ranting about hot Robert Pattinson , but excuse me, David Boreanaz is too hot too…… as Cordelia Chase put it….’hello salty goodness’…he is tall , dark and handsome…and he oozes sex appeal in a manly way…..

Marlowe August 10, 2009 at 7:40 am

I know nothing of Twilight except what has unfortunately filtered through to me via cultural osmosis. But that tells me that Angel would take this guy out without even breaking his brooding. BTW, an earlier poster has the last line of the series (in Not Fade Away) wrong. Although Angel does say “Well, personally, I kinda wanna slay the dragon.” The actual last line is ” Let’s go to work.”