Archer: Crazy Spy Adventures; Cancel or Keep It?

Archer TV showFX Network recently began airing a new animated series, Archer, that brings a unique take on the secret agent genre. But, will it survive? Is the comedy TV series worth watching?

Archer revolves around suave master spy Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) and the International Secret Intelligence Service (ISIS), a spy agency where global crises serve as opportunities for the highly-trained employees to undermine each other. The series also features the voices of Jessica Walter, Aisha Tyler, George Coe, Chris Parnell, and Judy Greer.

The animated comedy series was previewed in September 2009 and started airing as a regular show last month. The premiere on January 14th attracted a .9 rating for the 18-49 demographic and 1.8 million total viewers. It ranked as FX’s highest rated comedy series premiere for Adults 18-34 (786,000), surpassing Lucky (771,000) from April 2003.

Should Archer be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

An encore of Archer’s pilot episode, which previewed last fall, garnered 1.4 million total viewers.

“The numbers for Archer are very encouraging and it is nice to see it off to such a good start,” said John Landgraf, President and General Manager, FX Networks. “With the stunning growth of Sunny’s fifth season and The League’s successful first season, our ambitious comedy expansion is moving full steam ahead.”

Unfortunately, Archer hit a bump in the road in week two. The show’s numbers dropped to a .7 rating and 1.23 million viewers. Then, last week’s installment fell further still, to a .5 in the demo and an audience of only 870,000. That’s essentially half of the series premiere’s viewership and significantly lower than the cable channel’s average viewing audience.

While FX naturally has lower expectations than the networks, the sharp decline of Archer’s numbers isn’t positive. There are two episodes left to air and, unless the ratings rise, it’s looking unlikely that the series will be returning for a second season.

What do you think? Is the super-spy world of Archer worth watching or should it be cancelled? Should it return for season two?

Snappa May 27, 2010 at 12:05 am

The “Archer” TV show is simply wrong. Disgusting, politically incorrect… Just the kind of show the world needs!!!! One of the funniest shows I’ve had the privalige of watching in a long time! Where can I get the DVDs? Bring on more ARCHER!!!!

Elias May 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Archer is the comedy of the Millenium! I am a very hard person to please when it comes to comedy. Archer buries the Simpsons & surpasses Family Guy! Never in my dreams have I seen such a twisted, raw adult comedy. First time in my life I literally cried all night from laughter, I lost my breath. Because of Archer, my Thursday nights are my Friday nights. Archer is the most hardcore, twisted, raw, straight to the jugular comedy ever created. I am obsessed with this show.. I will even purchase the whole DVD collection. PLEASE, BRING ARCHER BACK ASAP!!!!!!!!

ACE May 19, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This show is great!! and yea the schedule was not clear and i did miss a few then i would have to wait till it came on demand to watch it or see a rerun… Still the best thing i have seen in a long time KEEP IT FX or some other smarter network take it from them i would still watch if it was on PBS i dont care lol

Anonymous May 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

This show is so good I’ll watch reruns

hell yeah April 26, 2010 at 1:15 am

Counting to the Best Show on Fox Twenty Four is on Place 1. and then Archer on 2. !!!

Annixa April 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Keep ARcheR Dis Show Rocks!!!

Anonymous April 15, 2010 at 10:28 am

PLEASE KEEP IT…. IT SOOOOOOOO HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!

David April 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Probably the only show I would like to purchase that is airing on tv at the moment. Hope they don’t cancel it.

Anonymous April 3, 2010 at 9:45 am

DAYNJAAAZONE

Doug b March 30, 2010 at 5:22 am

Keep archer Its the funniest animation onTV

KnightChatX March 29, 2010 at 8:50 am

This show is best show I’ve seen in a longtime, I keep wanting more of it, the only thing wrong is that I didn’t really know at first when each episode would be on, the schedule wasn’t clear I didn’t see the information about when it’d be on or didn’t notice until I started watching the Clips instead of just the Full Video’s, I watch the show on Hulu so a few times I missed some episodes and found myself having to go back and watch them. But After I watch each episode I kinda wish the episodes were more frequent. But each one was funny, smart, and enjoyable to watch. I watch TV 98% of the time on computer so I dunno if that has a result in viewer ratings I’ve always wondered about the accuracy of such tests, I mean look at the polls on the subject here and it shows 93% Say don’t cancel it while only 7% say cancel it. I think the ratings issue has been the cause of many good shows being cancelled and many times it feels premature. After all, shows such as Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles, Battlestar Galactica, Enterprise, Stargate Atlantis, and Farscape could have remained going, atleast Battlestar or Stargate Atlantis was good for 7 seasons, so I feel each was cut short too early.

KEEP ARCHER March 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

PLEASE GOD KEEP ARCHER!!

JAWZ March 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

THIS SHOW ROCKS! PLEASE KEEP IT GOING!

Mike Shimel March 12, 2010 at 7:15 am

This is honestly about the best show I’ve seen in a while. I think if FX isn’t going to continue the series they should consider doing like Comedy Central did with Futurama and start making mini-movies and air them. This show is to good to let go after just a handful of episodes.

Joe Thayer March 11, 2010 at 9:18 pm

This show totally rules! Its the best thing to come along in a while.