Arrow, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries: Renewed for 2013-14 Season

Arrow Vampire Diairies Supernatural renewedThe CW has handed down early renewals for three of their most successful shows — Arrow, Supernatural, and The Vampire Diaries.

Arrow has been the only new ratings hit this season and will return for a second round. Though Supernatural is the network’s oldest scripted series, it’s one of The CW’s best performers and will be back for year nine.

The Vampire Diaries is easily the network’s most successful show and will return for a fifth season.

Here’s the press release from The CW:

THE CW ANNOUNCES EARLY PICKUPS FOR THREE SERIES FOR THE 2012-2013 SEASON

“Arrow,” “The Vampire Diaries” and “Supernatural” to Return Next Season

February 11, 2013 (Burbank, California) – The CW Network has given early pickups to three of its hit series for next season, including freshman hit ARROW, its top-rated drama THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and fan favorite SUPERNATURAL, it was announced today by Mark Pedowitz, President, The CW. All three shows will return in Fall 2013.

“We said last year that one of our goals was to establish building blocks to grow on, and now with our new hit ARROW and fan favorite SUPERNATURAL on Wednesday night, and the continued success of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES on Thursday, we’ve been able to do that,” said Pedowitz. “Not only do ARROW, SUPERNATURAL, and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES perform well on-air, they’re also extremely successful for us both digitally and socially. I’m thrilled to have all three shows returning to our schedule next season.”

One of the true breakout hits of the season, ARROW posted The CW’s best series premiere since 2009 and currently stands as the network’s most watched show (4.3mil). Heading into its fifth season next fall, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES remains The CW’s highest rated series in target demographics, including adults 18-34 and women 18-34. THE VAMPIRE DIARIES also continues to be one of the network’s top performing shows digitally and socially; in fact, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES recently topped Trendrr’s list as network TV’s #1 social program for the week of January 21-27.

The Winchester brothers of SUPERNATURAL will continue to fight the forces of evil for a ninth season. Since being paired with ARROW on Wednesday this year, SUPERNATURAL has seen a dramatic uptick in its ratings from last season, rising 15% among total viewers, 10% in adults 18-34 and 18% in adults 18-49.

What do you think? Are you happy to hear about these renewals? Which of the three do you think is better? Which CW show would you like to see renewed next?

purples March 30, 2013 at 10:00 am

Arrow awesome! Really pulls you in.

purples March 30, 2013 at 9:33 am

ARROW all the way! Best action-adventure yet. Intriguing and really draws you in!

Sj March 27, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Happy to hear that Supernatural and Vampire diaries will be continued. Great!

cindi lu March 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

I am soooo happy they are having yet more “Supernatural”, the only thing is I don’t have CW, so have to watch the reruns on TNT..only goes up to season7..wondering if and when TNT will renew seasons after sason7?

Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I wish It was carrier better in canada. I miss supernatral

helena March 14, 2013 at 8:27 pm

love the shows i am a big fan of supernatural i watch the show on line to love the brothers keep up the good work

Midlander February 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Love SuperNatural. If they ever do cancel it, I hope they give the writers enough time to let the show come to a logical conclusion.

cindi lu March 22, 2013 at 9:25 am

SO AGREEE!!..would be awful, if they just canceled and didn’t tie up all the loose ends!

Anonymous February 28, 2013 at 12:54 am

I am sooooooo happy that Vampire Diaries is coming back. I love that show.

robin doyle February 26, 2013 at 6:30 pm

sounds good to me people likes different stuff.

Tracee February 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Love TVD! I love Nikita but you have it on the wrong time slot!!!!

PATT February 17, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I HATE EVERY ONE OF THESE SHOWS. I DEFINITELY DO NOT WATCH THEM.

cindi lu March 22, 2013 at 9:26 am

EASILY DONE!..Don’t watch them:)!..HA!

DallAs SuperfAN February 12, 2013 at 12:56 am

Obviously renewing Arrow is a no brainer, The Vampire Diaries got renewed because the female demographic won’t allow it to be cancelled. PLus Vampire Diaries is at least gonna be on for 7 seasons. Supernatural on the other hand is a great show but I don not know how much longer this show can last. Are they trying to match Smallville’s 10 seasons. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Andigravity February 28, 2013 at 3:21 am

I would be willing to bet that unless something drastic happens, the show will bow out at the end of Season 10.

Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki have both committed to the show until then, and the new head honcho they hired after the– I can’t exactly call it god-awful, but can you nuke the fridge that’s jumping the shark?

Anyway, Jeremy Carver said when he came in at the end of season 7 that he had a three-year story arc for the show, which would play out over the course of seasons 8, 9, and 10.

That wraps the big storyline when the main characters’ contracts are up, so it would be a good way to bring the series to a close. Nobody’s shocked, and the actors go into the final storyline feeling geared up to bring it home for the fans rather than feeling let down because the network has cut them off. The series gracefully retires as its actors plan to move onto other things, and the CW can rev up more hype for its replacement by making it seem like a worthy air-apparent to a longstanding series with a loyal fan base, rather than some random new series it bought to replace one that petered out and had to be put out of everyone’s misery like a sick dog.

So yeah, my guess would be unless the ratings change disastrously or someone has a stroke of genius, you’re probably looking at two more seasons after this one.

LEverage FAn February 12, 2013 at 12:37 am

Wow 9 seasons of Supernatural, I love the show but how much more can you do with this show. I guess I will find out this fall.

geri February 11, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I am glad they renewed Arrow.

Anonymous February 11, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Good news. All three are good to great shows that should have much larger audiences.