As the World Turns: Colleen Zenk Pinter’s Account of the Final Days

Colleen Zenk PinterLast Week, the cast and crew of As the World Turns recorded their final episodes. The CBS soap opera has been cancelled after more than 50 years on the air and the series finale will air on September 17th.

Actress Colleen Zenk Pinter, who plays Barbara Ryan on ATWT, has been with the soap since 1978 and has seen her character go through a lot of changes. Understandably, leaving the fictional community of Oakdale is an emotional experience. She shared the final moments with her Twitter followers.

June 21st: “Just read the last script..So beautiful… How can we get through it?.. A puddle of tears.”

June 23rd: “Here I go… One last day of love & angst in Oakdale, Illinois…my last day of Barbara…”

June 23rd: “Barbara’s set is only a memory…”

June 23rd: “Almost gone… Two more scenes as Babs… The walls are bare. The drawers are empty.”

June 23rd: “It’s a wrap……ATWT…..xoxoxoxoxox”

June 24th: “I am an unemployed actor for the first time in 32 years… what a wonderful run it was!!!!”

June 24th: “But… Rehearsals begin soon! …A new NY musical! …SUMMER STOCK NYC!! …Details later!”

What do you think? Any memories of Pinter’s performances on ATWT that stand out to you?

Mattie December 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Your one of my favortie people no matter what you did right or wrong I was on your side… You were truly someone I could never forget thanks Barbara you are truly missed!!!!

Carol Garcia September 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm

In this time when the economy is so bad CBS decides to have all these people both stars and the staff who work behind the scenes now have to seek other employment.
I have watched both Guiding Light and As the World Turns since I first came to the USA from Scotland in 1978, I have never missed an episode yet here I am now, First Guiding Light gets cancelled now ATWT and for what more talk shows, games shows or MORE reality tv, when will CBS wake up and think of us viewers who have watched and followed these shows forever, I sure hope some other channel decides to pick up where CBS DROPPED off as I will be among the first to DROP CBS.

tammy September 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I am beyond upset. First guiding light, now as the world turns. The only 2 I watch. I think I have to Boycott CBS. I’ve been watching these 2 since I was a small child and can’t imagine my afternoon without them. Even when I work I dvr them to watch. It is my only alone time!! SO sad to see it end!

susan September 16, 2010 at 12:31 pm

what an actress. babbs can do it all. i just loved her role on atwt.

Jennifer Eader September 15, 2010 at 4:17 am

They all are just wonderful memories! Colleen Zink is a GREAT actress! I have enjoyed everything I have watched with her in it! She is a beautiful person! Thank you for 32 wonderful years!

Dianne Attey September 13, 2010 at 10:40 am

I watched ATWTas a new bride in 1955.While employed I taped every day.I still do today.I wish ATWT would continue as the characters are like family.Maybe there could be a spinoff staring some of the same characters. Last day will be sad for me.

Koreen September 6, 2010 at 10:13 am

I think that some people’s real lives are similar to soap operas! (see above)

As for ATWT, it’s a classy soap and I’m very, very sorry to see it go. Taped on film, which gives it a higher-quality feel than the ABC soaps, and somehow more thoughtful, real, less sensational (although it certainly had its sensational moments).

These last weeks are fantastic and everyone should be taping. Watch the last two weeks of August and get caught up online, if you can. Some great stories and acting. Don’t want it to end! :(

susan baringer September 4, 2010 at 10:05 am

I first started watching the show when Larry Brygman was on the show. I would occasionally peak in when he had the storyline when he was faking blindness in order to keep his wife in the relationship. Than I dropped it after that was resolved. Than I happened to peak back in, and that is when I saw Randolph Mantooth I am a huge fan of him, and I was eager to watch the show .
Than recently when I saw Jon Lindstrom came to show I fell in love with the show again.
I have managed to see most of the final episodes but was not able to see Jon decemer 23 to January 17 because I fell into a coma because I had a vitamin defeciency because I was not eating. After I woke up I was very excited to see Jon on television. I had forgotten that he was on another soap. The show managed to keep me happy till I waS able to leave the hospital. I particullarly liked their Valentines Day episode. It waS very nice to see the cast members let loose and do something fun and totally outside their characters I laughed all through the show. Thankyou ATWT for having my 2 favorite actors in the world on your show.