Awake: Cast Reactions to NBC Cancellation

Awake canceled by NBCNBC has cancelled Awake, their cop series with an alternate reality twist. Created by Kyle Killen (Lone Star), the 13th and final episode will air on Thursday, May 24th. Sadly we might never learn exactly what was going on in the head of Detective Michael Britten (Jason Isaacs).

Fans of this unique TV series are understandably upset and the cast and crew aren’t too crazy about the news either. Here’s what they had to say:

Wilmer Valderrama (Efrem Vega): “Wanted 2 say thank you 2 all our amazing fans 4 being so loyal & loving our @NBCAwake.. We believed in the show &…And put our hearts in every Ep.. We made something that had never been on TV, we are proud of the journey.. And grateful to… Have shared it with you all, we love you.. Make sure to NOT miss our season closing episodes.. We will finish with a bang.. LITERALLY!”

Laura Allen (Hannah Britten): “Circle of life. Back in the ring! Truly, thank you for all who watched. #Awake. #NBC. #whoknowsimight’vebeendeadthewholetimeanyway.”

Dylan Minnette (Rex Britten): “2 more episodes until the finale of #Awake We had such a good run, and the show, despite this, was truly great.” “It was an incredible experience working with everyone, thank you for the opportunity. Couldn’t have been blessed with a better cast and crew” To the cast and crew, he wrote, “You are all so talented, I’m so grateful that I had the chance to work with all of you!… Thank you all so much!”

BD Wong (Therapist John Lee) retweeted a lot of others’ comments and simply wrote, “what a lousy way to wake up from a nap!”

Daniela Bobadilla (Emma): “Sad to be writing this tweet.. From the bottom of my heart I am beyond grateful for the opportunity and experience I had on #Awake. Love…every single person on the cast and crew. So proud to have been part of such an intelligent, cool show. Thank you @killen8!!! :):):)”

Michaela McManus (Tara): “Thanks to everyone who tuned in these past couple months. Very sorry to say good-bye… #RIPAwake”

Nicole Burke (first assistant director): “Just got the bad news #awake was cancelled. Thank you to all the fans that watched and to the talented cast & crew.” “To the brain behind #AWAKE @killen8 Thank you for a wild and crazy ride. I enjoyed every minute well maybe every minute. Till next time!”

Kyle Killen (creator, executive producer): “no, don’t see us taking awake anywhere else. yes, the season finale is a really satisfying way to go out. our best EP + penguin” “guys its cool. awake lasted 600% longer than lone star. at that rate next 1 be on until end of time. now, anyone know if Whitney is hiring?” “that was not meant to be shot at Whitney #promise #justlookingforplacetotakeairmattress”

TV show supportLost’s Damon Lindelof wrote to Killen, “Small consolation, but I believe AWAKE will still be talked about in a decade. And fondly.” Killen responded, “thank you. I’ve always wanted to say to someone “you’re a prince” and this seems like the opportunity I’ve been waiting for!”

Josh Friedman, who’s Finder series was also cancelled, wrote, “I choose to live in a version of my life where @killen8 ‘s #Awake is still on the air.”

What do you think? Are you also upset that Awake won’t be coming back for a second season? What would you say to the cast and crew about the program?

Joyce From Wash May 15, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I hate investing time to NBC, first it was Prime Suspect, then The Firm and the best Awake. Three different shows the same time slot. I don’t understand why they can’t invest in the show either. There’s quite a few long lasting shows that if the station didn’t try a second season to gather their audience the show wouldn’t be around, like Fringe or NCIS. Thank goodness PBS Mystery is on that Thursday timeslot next fall.

Dan May 15, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Thanks for the show! going to watch the last episode and then throw NBC programming in the garbage. Great job everyone involved in the show, one of my favorites in a long time!

G.M. May 15, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Innovative concept. Well acted. Typical of the “suits” to scrub anything that requires thought or challenges the mediocrity of our dumb, dumber, dumbest ad driven television.

Serene Rosenberg May 15, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Finally, a decent series comes along and is cancelled. I am a writer, currently doing a subprime series. I am on a very short list of those without a non-disclosure, on the board of New Century, for 10 years.
This season was disappointing. There were way too many shows introduced at the same time, leaving the viewer to choose old vs new shows, unless they can record 4 at one time. Ridiculous. This show should have a chance.

nimble May 15, 2012 at 1:31 pm

extremely upset.I hope some channel picks up.Congrats on this clever and unique show.

Nicola May 15, 2012 at 10:58 am

I am extremely upset that this show has been cancelled, one of the best ones to come out for a long time.

Trish May 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am so very upset. I PVR’d this show every week so that I could watch every episode twice. It was so clever and smart unlike all the other “desperate” shows we have been stuck with… Please please please another network pick it up!!

David May 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I loved every minute of this show. Episode 11 demonstrated the great acting and writing that has been a part of this show from the beginning. Anything different, that does not follow the NCIS/CSI procedural mode, is doomed. Heaven forbid that you should have to stay “awake” and think. what a great team effort.

L. Bennett May 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Really really upset that this wonderful quality show has been cancelled——we absolutely never missed to and are even in the right demographic——-makes me very cynical re: the network………….

Judy May 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Can’t believe they cancelled this exciting show! Didn’t even give it a chance. It was just getting so good! Oh well, I turn the TV off so much more now than I used to, because there is such crap that stays on the networks. Networks: Quit catering to all of the stupid people out there! Give them something to actually THINK about!

Barbara May 14, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’m so sorry to see this show go. It was one of the best in a long time. The people who decide these things don’t may understand the bottom line, but not a thing about what people really like.

William May 14, 2012 at 11:11 am

It is somewhat comforting to read all the other comments mirroring how I feel about the fact that the best show on television just got callously cancelled so that NBC could put on a whole bunch of inane and crass comedies. Quality is simply not a factor which even enters the calculations of the network suits. And frankly it was a serious mistake for the creators to have sold this show to NBC, which did not promote it, stopped production on it last Fall, stuck it in a terrible time slot behind comedies, and essentially buried the show so they could get rid of it as fast as possible.

Awake is indeed a show which avoids all the dreary cliches of the vast majority of TV dramas. There are so many shows with the same kinds of characters, utterly predictable plot arcs, pat solutions and answers. Awake actually challenged the mind. It was not just a mystery show, it was a drama about a person struggling with profound psychological issues. It was about the nature of perception and reality, and whether a possible fantasy world might ultimately be more comforting and worthwhile than cold reality. What other show dealt with such issues, and yet in a very dramatic and intriguing way? None. The saddest thing of all is realizing that there will not be as good a show as this on TV for many years, if ever; and thus why bother to check out any of the new ones next year? I’ve seen them already, many times. And if somehow a great show got on the air, the dumbed-down public would not be able to understand it, and it would be taken off as quickly as this one.

Helene May 14, 2012 at 11:02 am

I really don’t get it. Why not promote and give this fascinating show a chance to find its following. So sad t see it cancelled along 2 other creative shows, The Finder and A Gifted Man.

Jewel May 15, 2012 at 11:06 am

I agree totally with you! So many trashy, mind numbing and just plain stupid shows still on. All three you mentioned were some of my favorites.

JM May 14, 2012 at 9:26 am

I don’t watch much TV. This is the only show I make a point to turn on. It’s so entertaining and unique…. immeasurably better than those useless and boring reality shows and new comedies that are anything but funny. I can’t believe it’s being cancelled!

Valerie May 14, 2012 at 8:31 am

I’m very dismayed to hear this!! A great show with intelligence and intrigue. Not the fluff
of ‘reality’ TV I won’t even watch! Superb acting, so very unique and interesting plot lines.
Why are you doing this?! Just market this wonderful show better!