Back in the Game: Sitcom Cancelled by ABC

Back in the Game sitcomABC has decided not to order any more episodes of Back in the Game, their Wednesday night sitcom. The network initially ordered 13 episodes and filming was completed yesterday.

Co-creator Robb Cullen broke the news about the cancellation on Twitter. He wrote, “So, ABC has decided NOT 2 move forward w @BackInTheGameTV 2 all of u fangles and friends, I can’t begin 2 thank u for all of ur support.” He later indicated that the remaining seven unaired installments are expected to be broadcast.

Airing out of The Middle, Back in the Game follows a single mother (Maggie Lawson) and her son (Griffin Gluck) who move in with her gruff father (James Caan). Despite having no experience, the boy desperately wants to play baseball so his mom, a former All Star, gets roped into coaching a new team of misfits. Others in the cast are Lenora Crichlow, Ben Koldyke, Kennedy Waite, J.J. Totah, Cooper Roth, and Brandon Salgado.

The sitcom debuted in late September to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.01 million viewers. Unfortunately, the numbers have been dwindling downward since then.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Back in the Game has been cancelled? Did you enjoy the show? Will you watch the remaining episodes?

Henry December 5, 2013 at 1:14 am

Really a big mistake! This show is a “prize”, but instead you cancel it and bring back Suburgatory, Love the grandfather, James Caan, among the other cast members, because he always has a lesson to teach his grandson.

Sarah December 4, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Idiots! The powers that be should give this series a chance and try to see the forest through the trees. I wonder what the executives are thinking, they waste all this money developing the series, creating characters, getting writers, finding the right actors to suit the roles and then they dump it….really sad a big mistake. :(

Katie December 4, 2013 at 9:25 pm

13 episodes is not enough time to find an audience. Sorry to see this good show when for the most part ABC has so few good shows. Super Fun Night is the show ABC needs to cancel.

Cheryl Nelson December 1, 2013 at 10:36 am

I make a point to watch TV on Wednesday nights, and ONLY on Wednesday nights, because of the lineup of this show and Modern Family. Now I will probably just hulu Modern Family whenever I get around to it. I love this show. Of all the ridiculous shows you could have cancelled, you chose the one with the most endearing characters I’ve seen in a long time. Not a great decision.

JJ November 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I too never comment but, come on ABC or somebody else, this is a really good show! Funny with alot of Heart. Just goes to show you execs only look at numbers, and like politicians are out of touch with real people in the real world.

Renew Back In The Game November 28, 2013 at 3:05 am

This show has such heart I am devastated to know it is being cancelled. Im hooked. The actors are amazing and I enjoy watching Maggie Lawson fulfill the role of a strong independent mother. James Caan and Griffin Gluck are so good. I am so so sad. Absolutely loved it. Really hope ABC changes their mind. Not every show can be Modern Family. There is only one. I really think this show could be a huge hit if they would just give it a chance. Or I hope it at least gets picked up by a cable network. Would love to continue watching it.

Deb November 27, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Hate to see this cancelled. One of the few family shows left. One with a different plot and nice to watch with the family.

Misschrissy November 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I never, ever comment on these types of matters but am truly sad this show is being cancelled. My whole family loves it. The cast is great. I hope ABC changes its mind or another network picks it up. What a shame if it is gone for good….

The Thomas J November 20, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I really enjoy Back in the game. It’s an old school throw back show & i’m disapointed that it has been cancelled. I think it would do better on a cable network that would allow it to be more real & raunchy. I hope it get’s picked up by another network.

kait landis November 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm

We love this show! Give it a chance to build a larger fan base! It’s bad news bears weekly and with such heart!

Grannie Wade November 16, 2013 at 3:59 am

I really hate to see this show. It is a good family show for a change and very
enjoyable. It has such a great cast. You need to give these shows more of a
chance. Get rid of the I-Pads and I-Phones if you want the youth to watch.

Stella DiPaula November 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm

My family thinks that the three best comedies this fall are The Goldbergs, Back in the game and Michael J. Fox. Our friends and neighbors agree, but the favorite with the men is Back in the game. It will be missed. I think you are making a mistake.

Zabber November 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm

would’ve worked better in the summer when a baseball show makes more sense and you’d expect low ratings. Just make fewer epi’s and let the show slip by a couple of summers.
These company’s are all looking for the big, breakout hit every year that hits the ground running. No one ever lets a audience build.

Ed Bentley November 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

I can not believe you are cancelling this show, my wife and I really enjoyed watching this , and we thought this was better than most of the new comedy shows that are being shown. We are very sad to see this one go and we think that it should be renewed.

Thanks
The Bentleys

Blasthoff November 6, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Well that sucks! Back In The Game is one of only two comedies I watch. That in itself should say something. While maybe not an Emmy winner it beats being replaced by a more then likely waste of time program I’ll never watch. I guess we just can’t have a family oriented program that’s watchable.