Bear in the Big Blue House: Disney Has Big Plans

Bear in the Big Blue HouseIf you’ve had a young child living in your home in the past several years, you’re probably familiar with a very friendly bear who lives in a very big blue house. Now, a decade after his first appearance, there are rumblings that the seven-foot bear may be returning, bigger than ever.

The Bear in the Big Blue House series debuted on October 20, 1997 on The Disney Channel. The show was created for very young children, to help teach them simple concepts like shapes, gravity, helping, seasons, and even toilet training. The ever-curious and kind Bear lives in his blue house with an assortment of friendly woodland creatures.

The housemates included an excitable lemur named Treelo, headstrong mouse Tutter, peppy otter twins Pip and Pop and an imaginative little bear cub Ojo. At the start of each show, Bear welcomes the viewers to his home. At the end, Bear stands on his balcony and reviews what everyone has learned that day with his friend Luna, the wise moon.

The series was created, owned and produced by The Jim Henson Company, several years after the Muppet company founder Jim Henson’s death. The show became very popular among young children for its friendly tone, colorful characters and fun songs.

Over 115 episodes of Bear in the Big Blue House were created and released sporadically over the past ten years. For example, the fourth season started in 2003 but eight episodes didn’t air until Spring 2006. A short-lived series entitled Breakfast with Bear began in 2005.

The Walt Disney Company purchased the Bear characters in 2004 as part of the deal to purchase the Muppets and other characters from the Henson Company. Like the Muppets, Bear has attained such widespread affection that he has starred in a stage show and appeared a few times on the Hollywood Squares game show and other programs. Some have suggested that Disney actually paid more for the Bear properties than they paid for the Muppets. Strangely though, Disney hasn’t produced new Bear programming since they purchased the Big Blue House characters.

Now, ten years after Bear’s debut, it looks like there are big plans for Bear and his friends. There are early plans for additional DVD releases, a re-launch of the shows on television, a new album of Bear music, other merchandise and even a new travelling stage show.

The big news though is that the folks at the mouse house are seriously considering a feature film for the seven-foot tall, friendly bear. No concrete details are available as yet but Bear’s friendly and affable nature seems perfect for the big screen. Official announcements are expected later this year so stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

25 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Taylor says

I want big bear in the big blue house back on air even if they show reruns I love it and I cried when the room it off air !!! I say : PUT IT BACK ON AIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Anonymous says

bear was on every night before bed on playhouse disney but they changed the channel to disney jr. so bear isn’t on the schedule anymore. SUCKS!!!! big time now i don’t know where to find it on tv.

3. bob says

Bear in the big blue house needs to go back on the air because my 1 daughter watched it and absolutely loved it but my 2 younger kids john and tim have never seent one episode and are dying to see it because of what my daughter had said please put it back on the air i would even love it

4. Renee says

They really do need to at least air the reruns! I mean, 118 shows… what a waste if they can’t show them to a new generation! My oldest daughter LOVED Bear and now my youngest own gets to see the few dvd’s we have. I can’t afford to go out and buy all of them. Please consider.

5. says

I LOVE BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE!!!
    I LOVE BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE!!!
    I LOVE BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE!!!
    I LOVE BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE!!!
    I LOVE BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE!!!
    I LOVE BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE!!!
    I LOVE BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE!!!

6. says

I watched bear when it was on –I’m currently a senior in Hs — and I would still watch bear if it was still on because unlike most other shows it has a meaning and is actually fun. Why have tv shows (one’s for kids anyway) deteriorated like a smokers lung over the past six – ten years?
    I love this song!

Bear: Hey, this was really fun
    Luna: We hope you liked it too
    Bear: Seems like we’ve just begun
    Both: When suddenly we’re through
    Bear: Goodbye, goodbye, good friends, goodbye
    Both: ‘Cause now it’s time to go
    Bear: But, hey, I say, well, that’s OK
    Luna: ‘Cause we’ll see you very soon, I know
    Bear: (Very soon, I know)
    Both: Goodbye, goodbye, good friends, goodbye
    Bear: And tomorrow, just like today
    Luna: (Goodbye – today)
    Both: The moon, the bear and the Big Blue House
    We’ll be waiting for you to come and play
    To come and play, to come and play
    Bear: Bye now!

7. Taina Lett says

Please bring Bear and the Big Blue House. Even if you show repeats. This is an awesome show for my toddler.

8. Rebecca says

Please consider bringing back Bear in the Big Blue House – it was such a quality show for youngsters – especially with so much crap on tv these days – it was nice to have a show that taught kids something other than violence.

9. courtney butler says

U really need to bring back bear in the big blue house..
    i used to watch it everyday..
    and now i cant even watch it with my niece.

10. Nicole Monaghan says

I think this is great news. My 10 month old daughter Grace loves the show. We watch it every night before she goes to bed. She loves Bear and giggles at Tutter.

Go Disney Go you have a real winner with the kids there.