Beauty and the Beast: The CW Casts Leads in Remake Pilot

Beauty and the Beast CW remakeThe CW has cast the leads in their new Beauty and the Beast pilot, the remake of the 1987-90 CBS series that starred Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton as an unlikely couple. This isn’t to be confused with the ABC project of the same name.

Smallville’s Kristin Kreuk will star with New Zealand actor, Jay Ryan. The latter you may recall played the security guard on FOX’s Terra Nova who was banished for murdering another colony member.

As previously mentioned, The CW version of Beauty and the Beast will be a love story with a procedural twist. Catherine (Kreuk) is a tough NYPD homicide detective who’s mother was murdered nine years earlier. She’s haunted by her witnessing the event and the killer’s quick death at the hands of a mysterious humanoid beast.

After years of searching, Catherine finally finds Vincent Koslow (Ryan), the survivor of a military experiment that went horribly wrong. She soon becomes the protector of his secret life as a hero and he helps her fight crime on the New York streets.

Gary Fleder is slated to direct the pilot which was written by Jennifer Levin and Sherri Cooper. Levin and Cooper are the executive producers, along with the creator of the original series (Ron Koslow), the original show’s producers (Paul Junger Witt and C. Anthony Thomas), and Bill Haber.

What do you think? Are you curious about this remake? Would you be interested in watching a new version of Beauty and the Beast?

Monica May 13, 2012 at 1:39 am

Okay. I think completely redoing/reworking the series is a HUGE mistake. Especially since they are using the whole Catherine/Vincent angle. They should have either made their own adaptation with new characters for a new love story. OR guess what? Be smart and pick up where the original series left off. Make it about Vincent’s son. Sure, they’d have to really come up with a more inventive way to take the “beast” angle but surely all the writers in Hollywood can’t be completely brain dead can they? Then again I could be wrong there.

Srtorm May 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I’m willing to give it a chance , I’m old enough to remember the original tv series ..I’ll reserve criticism until the pilot airs ..but I’d really like to see ..Wish them luck :)

Judy April 11, 2012 at 4:54 am

BIG MISTAKE! Remakes flop. You can, never, replace Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman.

Judy April 11, 2012 at 4:52 am

I watched the original series. To make a remake of it is a mistake. It will, never, be as good as the original.

tobby March 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I can’t wait to see this. I love these two actors and I think I will really like this!

Why March 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

You have got to be kidding. They pay people to write scripts for shows like this drool? Sign me up, I could do as bad.

Pat Bowen March 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I will watch anything with Kristin in it. I can’t wait. I was a fan of the original with Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton. Love the hero which both the beauty and the beast will be in this show. I hope it does well.

Andrea March 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

OMG…you are going to destroy this show…leave things alone and like others have said here…come up with something original…I’m so tired of networks ruining good shows with dumb remakes.

Roberta March 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm

PLEASE don’t ruin my favorite TV show ever!

Dave March 4, 2012 at 10:03 am

But they cant have him too “beast” or it would go against their pretty young people line up. So there are a few ways to handle it.

1) Like the movie Beastly where he really wasnt that bad to warrant that reaction he got.
2) He changes his looks. A shapeshifter of sorts…becomes a “beast” when emotions take over.
3) Tons of flashbacks to his good looking days and how those days relate to current events.

Just some guesses. Guesing either 1 or 3. 2 is a long shot. :)

Teresa March 4, 2012 at 5:55 am

No, this is NOT a good idea!!
The original was a work of art, with two leads that had unparralelled chemistry. Ron Perlman’s role of Vincent cannot be duplicated and certainly cannot be improved upon!

Some things are best left untainted, this is one of them.

I agree with the first poster…find something original instead of serving up barely warmed over, pale imitations of the originals!!!!

tab March 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

sounds interesting as original was well done

Dave March 3, 2012 at 5:13 am

I would rather they bring back Reaper than go forward with any of their current and future programming with the exception of Supernatural.

Jim March 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I’d rather they stuck with tarzan a few years back, than go forward with this.

Kat March 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Oh my, they make quite the attractive couple when their pictures are put together like that. Let’s hope they have some real on-screen chemistry, though… and that “military experiment that went horribly wrong” isn’t code for “Oh woe is me, I’m a prettyboy with superpowers. Whatever shall I do? How can anyone love a freak like me?” Heh. I’m expecting some disfigurement, CW! (Though, given that network’s reputation for young, attractive leads, I’m kind of doubtful…).

Tha Critic March 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Stop remaking things. Stop rebooting things.
Stop re-interpreting things.
Do something ORIGINAL.

Roberta March 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I couldn’t agree more. And remakes NEVER last!
Watch the original Beauty and the Beast. It’s beautiful…