Ben and Kate: FOX TV Series Cancelled

Ben and Kate TV show canceledFOX has cancelled their low-rated sitcom, Ben and Kate. The network had been airing the comedy as part of their two-hour comedy block on Tuesday nights but the experiment has been a ratings disaster. Ben and Kate has consistently been the lowest-rated of the bunch.

Starring Dakota Johnson and Nat Faxon, Ben and Kate debuted in October to a mediocre 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.21 million total viewers. The sitcom lost more than 20% of its audience in week two and has been essentially dropping each week ever since. The show has often pulled in a 1.1 demo rating with about 2.5 million viewers.

The network is shifting the Tuesday night schedule around and is bringing Hell’s Kitchen back in March to fill the 9pm hour. While it appears that Raising Hope, New Girl, and The Mindy Project will get to finish their seasons, Ben and Kate has been pulled.

While FOX hasn’t confirmed that Ben and Kate has been cancelled, co-star Echo Kellum says it has. He tweeted, “My network and I just broke up. She is a great girl, and I’m glad she gave us a shot as long as she did. I’ll miss you. #fox #benandkate”

Series creator Dana Fox followed that up with, “I’m heartbroken but will get back to being funny soon. Thank you to everyone who made this the best experience of my life!! #benandkate”

There’s no word on when or if the network will air the remaining six episodes of the freshman sitcom’s 19 episode season.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Ben and Kate has been cancelled? Was it a better show than the ratings indicated?

Anonymous February 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm

the fuck i love this show

Anonymous April 1, 2013 at 1:31 am

Bring back this show. So good.

glash February 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I miss the show already! I thought it was as good as Modern Family. BRING IT BACK!

Suzanne February 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I have to say that I am so disappointed that you would cancel a show that was actually funny and entertaining and yet you leave shows that hold no interest to me and get changed as soon as it comes on (Mindy Project). Please read all the comments and it will prove to you that many people enjoyed this show.

Jennifer February 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Why do the networks think that 2.5 million viewers is not respectable? How many people actually watch live TV these days? When doing the ratings do they also track if the episodes were DVR’d? I hope someone else picks this show up. I loved it and enjoyed each and every character! Please reconsider!!

Sara February 11, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Ah crap, I loved this show!!! Even my husband loved it and he doesn’t laugh at anything!

kelly February 7, 2013 at 10:10 am

I loved this show, so sad it’s not on now….

Luminess22 January 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm

This show wasn’t the best, but it was sweet and fun…and I thought it was a good part of the Tuesday night line up (which is my favorite on tv right now). Too bad it was canceled so quickly. Can’t believe that FOX thinks the Tues night block needs to be changed…and Hell’s Kitchen? Seriously? People yelling at each other is better tv than a night of clever comedy? I hope the other 3 shows stick around…

Mel January 29, 2013 at 2:51 pm

As others have written, this show was far better than Rasing Hope or The Mondy Project (which I was rooting for but could only stomach two episodes of). Ben & Kate was one of my faves.

Michelle January 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I thought Tommy and B.J. were annoying, but I loved the characters of Ben & Kate, especially Kate, she was really good. I always made it a point to watch, I hope they reconsider!!

Tha Critic January 24, 2013 at 8:25 pm

FOX may have to be put in the Guinness Book of World Records for the greatest number of cancelled shows per season. I never saw “Ben and Kate” so I can’t comment on the show’s quality, but Fox really has a penchant for knocking off shows that people seem to like. The last show they cancelled that I liked was “Lie to Me”.

Daniel January 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm

FOX cancels EVERYTHING AWESOME!!! Firefly, Terminator, Lie to Me, and Drive among the casualties. Bring one of these shows back with everything the same, and you are GUARANTEED RATINGS!! WTF?

Glen January 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I thought this show was great. Much better than the Mindy Project. It was clever and entertaining without being blue like CBS. What a shame.

Michelle January 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I guess that I’m in the minority, but I loved the show Ben and Kate. It kept me laughing the whole way through. Kate’s brother and his friend were hilarious. Hope that it will come back.

Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

It’s a weird and quirky show, but I really enjoyed it! Far better than The Mindy Project and Raising Hope. I guess there’s only room for so much “awkward” on tv for one evening..

Melissa January 24, 2013 at 9:41 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOO :(
I love Ben and Kate. I think that the cast is fantastic, the lines are witty, and the stories are just plain funny!! I’ve been laughing right along since Episode 1. Very sad that this show is being cancelled…it works so well in the line up! PLEASE RECONSIDER :)

Doug January 24, 2013 at 1:58 am

The only good actors in the show are the little girl and the lady who plays Kate. The rest stink, especially the lady with the english accent. I hope the little girl gets another show very soon. She is very good.