Ben and Kate: FOX TV Series Cancelled

Ben and Kate TV show canceledFOX has cancelled their low-rated sitcom, Ben and Kate. The network had been airing the comedy as part of their two-hour comedy block on Tuesday nights but the experiment has been a ratings disaster. Ben and Kate has consistently been the lowest-rated of the bunch.

Starring Dakota Johnson and Nat Faxon, Ben and Kate debuted in October to a mediocre 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.21 million total viewers. The sitcom lost more than 20% of its audience in week two and has been essentially dropping each week ever since. The show has often pulled in a 1.1 demo rating with about 2.5 million viewers.

The network is shifting the Tuesday night schedule around and is bringing Hell’s Kitchen back in March to fill the 9pm hour. While it appears that Raising Hope, New Girl, and The Mindy Project will get to finish their seasons, Ben and Kate has been pulled.

While FOX hasn’t confirmed that Ben and Kate has been cancelled, co-star Echo Kellum says it has. He tweeted, “My network and I just broke up. She is a great girl, and I’m glad she gave us a shot as long as she did. I’ll miss you. #fox #benandkate”

Series creator Dana Fox followed that up with, “I’m heartbroken but will get back to being funny soon. Thank you to everyone who made this the best experience of my life!! #benandkate”

There’s no word on when or if the network will air the remaining six episodes of the freshman sitcom’s 19 episode season.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Ben and Kate has been cancelled? Was it a better show than the ratings indicated?

Calvin October 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Absolutely THE funniest sitcom I have ever seen, all my friends agree. I truly miss this show. I feel like this is a mistake. Great show hate to see it go.

Heidi August 14, 2013 at 2:04 am

This was one of our favorite shows; it was quirky and laugh-out-loud funny. Desperately sad to see it go; we never missed an episode. :-(

Joanna June 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I am shocked Ben and Kate was cancelled! It is one of the funniest shows EVER! It is so disappointing

Tammy June 6, 2013 at 1:34 am

I don’t understand how this could have had low ratings? It was hilarious and sweet! We watched every episode. Do the networks still just use Neilson ratings? That is just not an accurate way to gauge popularity of a show and is no more effective than the electoral college.

hekatemoon May 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Loved the Show. I will miss it’s GREAT cast and stories.

Dan May 18, 2013 at 1:03 am

@TVseriesfinale admin

There’s actually 16 total episodes of Ben & Kate not 19. 13 episodes were aired and FOX stopped production in the middle of episode 17, so 16 total episodes ended up being produced, leaving 3 unaired for now.

admin May 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Right, that’s what the listing says: 16 total episodes but 3 didn’t air. It’s a little awkward I guess but space is limited in the chart. Thanks!

Anonymous May 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Every since FOX cancelled “Firefly”, I’m quite confident that FOX can do no right. I liked the “Ben and Kate” show but it needed a lot more of Lucy Punch (“BJ”).

Anonymous May 11, 2013 at 2:59 pm

You networks never give a show enough time and screw the Neilson ratings, it doesn’t show what everyone watches. Ben and Kate was one of my all time favies…… Along with Apartment 23

Nikki May 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I think Ben and Kate was one if the funniest shows. Very endearing. I’m sad that it was cancelled.

Teresa Kropfeld April 28, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I had just found out about the show Ben and Kate show from my son right before it got cancelled. He told me it was his favorite progam, so I thought I would give it a try. Loved it! Really disappointed when I couldn’t find it on the line up…Wish this one had been given a chance to catch on.

Anonymous April 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm

What a shame that they canceled this show! It just needs more time and it will get it’s following. I wasn’t crazy about it at first, but I hung in there and really enjoyed the show. Just like ABC’s “The Middle” – had a slow beginning for me, but absolutely love it now. Same thing with “Ben & Kate”. Please give it another chance – I think it just needs time for fans to find and enjoy it.

E. April 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm

What a bummer! They entire crew were so funny, great supporting characters, dakata johnson was like a real struggling single parent that all of our chicks want as a friend!! Stupid ass networks stupid ass ratings, they cancel wayyyy tooook many well written shows, and leave us with what? Bells kitchen (gag) beauty & the beast (snooze), american idol (granny needs to be put in the home) listen to the viewers not the $$$$$$$ for once!

Anonymous April 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm

So upset!!! This show was hilairious! Ben was very Will Ferrell like and so funny! Please bring it back!