Round Five: What’s the Best Sitcom in TV History — Final Five!

Friends and I Love LucyAnd it all comes down to this, the final round. Once again, some incredible sitcoms have left the competition in round four.

In a match up between I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show, Lucy Ricardo and her pals won out — by nearly two to one. Amazing that it wasn’t closer considering how beloved both shows are.

In the showdown between Cheers and M*A*S*H, there isn’t really a clear winner. Depending on what time of day you check, one or the other could be on top.

Which is the best sitcom?

• Seinfeld (24%)
  • M*A*S*H (16%)
  • I Love Lucy (25%)
  • Friends (29%)
  • Cheers (6%)

Total Votes: 808

Loading ... Loading ...

For the fight between Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond, Jerry and his show about nothing was the victor by a span of 24%. Considering the popularity of Seinfeld, that doesn’t seem all that surprising.

In the fourth category, we gave the shows that were knocked out in round three a second chance. Though they’re all quality shows, Friends was the clear victor over The Big Bang Theory, The Cosby Show, All in the Family, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and The Honeymooners.

We had planned for this final round to pit four great sitcoms against one another. But, since the voting is so close in the Cheers vs. M*A*S*H battle, we’ve decided to include both. It’ll be interesting to see how they do — perhaps one of them will be the big winner!

Tune in after next Tuesday to see who has won the title. They’re all certainly worthy. You can only vote once but, if your favorite isn’t in the lead, feel free to call on your friends to invite them to vote as well.

What do you think? Who do you want to win and why? Which do you think will be the top three?

UPDATE: Voting is over… check out our recap!

JJ Johnson September 1, 2010 at 7:25 pm

You guys and gals have it all wrong. Rhoda is the best sitcom ever, and yes, it is even better than The Mary Tyler Moore Show. And it paved the way for Frasier, Friends, and Seinfeld. You simply cannot beat Valerie Harper, Julie Kavner, and Nancy Walker in the same TV room.

Matthew H August 25, 2010 at 5:50 pm

My family and I watched I Love Lucy everyday and we loved it the show made us laugh so much and didn’t matter how many times you see the episode cause Lucille Ball was the best and she can not be copied how many shows can you watch so many times and still laugh only I Love Lucy comes to my mind yes she was the greatest comdian of them all I also loved the rest of the cast Ricky, Ethel and Fred they all were great together and I bought all seasons of the show cause I love it so much. Yes I agree the show can’t ever be copied she was one of a kind and I am so grateful that she was here and did such a great job making people laugh even to this day I bet whenever you think about her and the show you have to laugh lol..

jamison August 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I love lucy definitely!

beth August 8, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Friends without a question.

nikki August 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm

friends…..

Anonymous August 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm

friends…..sucked…..

connie August 3, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I love Lucy was best show

Jimmy July 25, 2010 at 2:14 am

Without a doubt, it’s I Love Lucy.

brianna esquivel July 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I am a enormus fan of lucille ball. I am thirteen years old.Lucille ball will always be number one!I never liked any other show. I wish that i lived in the fifties.I have a lot of old movies of her .She is the most georgous woman i have ever seen.I even named my dog after her.

pmp rita mulcahy July 8, 2010 at 5:03 am

“”I’ve just told your bird you’re bonking her sister.”"

blahblahblah June 26, 2010 at 7:26 am

Frasier or The Golden Girls.

Zack June 23, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I love Lucy started watching that show on nick at night and it was a great show it should win hands down

brianna esquivel July 23, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I deinitely agree with you zack!When i first saw lucille ball on tv it was not I Love Lucy.It was the movie Big Street.Iwatched Lucy ever since.

J. Mason June 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

M*A*S*H had it all. We saw history, humor, love, hate, relationships, military life, medical lives and what life is like far from home and family. I am a big fan of Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Seinfeld, Andy Griffith because they were all on all through my childhood or young adulthood but MASH is in a category all by itself. So my vote for all time great series has to be MASH.

Anonymous August 2, 2010 at 8:54 am

I agree!

David June 13, 2010 at 12:48 am

It’s the Cosby Show, hands down!

End of debate.

TeCe June 3, 2010 at 8:05 am

There will never be another show like “I love Lucy” and there has never been nor ever will be another actress as good as Lucille Ball. I have seen Fran from “The Nanny” try to do faces and mimic Lucy but it is not something that can copied. No one in the world can top Lucy so I definately vote for “I love Lucy” that show outshines them all. No other show even comes close!

brianna esquivel July 23, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Looooooooooooooooooove your commet!

Ronnie May 30, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Oh, definitely “I Love Lucy”. It was the one all others copied and has stood the test of time. Ball was a comedic genius and is well recognized as an icon of stupendous proportions. You could not put “Andy Griffith” in the same category. To anyone over 50 who knew these shows back in the day, that would seem ridiculous. I’m surprised that “Frasier” and “The Honeymooners” weren’t also on the list. Both are two of my personal favorites. Personally I would take “Seinfeld” any day over “Friends”. I never got “Friends” but then again I think you have to be Gen X or younger to get that, or perhaps from another part of the country. Speaking of that, “Friends” never felt like it took place in NY. As a native NY-er, I felt like it could have been set anywhere BUT in NY, LOL.