Betrayal: Has It Been Cancelled? Will There Be Season Two?

Betrayal canceled? season two?ABC has been searching for a ratings hit to fill the Sundays at 10pm timeslot. Turns out that Betrayal isn’t that show but could it still return for a second season? Has it already been cancelled?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

The series debuted in September and got off to a slow start with a 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.16 million total viewers. The numbers got even worse in week two, dropping more than 24%. In week three, they dropped another 26%.

Should Betrayal be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In short, the ratings were awful but the network didn’t pull the series off the air and a rep even said that ABC was sticking with the show. Why? Likely because they’d already cancelled another new drama, Lucky 7, and fellow freshman Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was also tanking.

Though Betrayal’s ratings have leveled off, that doesn’t mean that ABC is any more satisfied with the numbers and there’s just no way that they’re bring it back for a second season. It’s still on the air because they didn’t have anything to take its place.

The network has released their plans for early 2014 and, to no surprise, Betrayal isn’t part of them. That’s not an outright cancellation but, realistically, there’s as much hope of this show coming back as there being a second season of Pan Am or GCB.

ABC has taken to calling Betrayal a limited series which wouldn’t have stopped them from making a second season had the ratings been stronger. Hopefully for the fans who have stuck with it, the show will end in a satisfying way and won’t not leave a bunch of unresolved storylines.

What do you think? Do you like Betrayal? Would you like to see a second season or does the show deserve to be cancelled? Why didn’t it catch on?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,061 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. rose.bartucci says

I loved betrayAl please RBING IT BACK. I LOVE THIS SHOW. I CANT WAIT FOR SUNDAY TO COME SO I CAN SEE THIS SHOW. PLEASE BRING IT BACK

2. Anonymous says

I hope ABC changes their mind. Great chemistry between the characters. Story line touches on conflicts within family, marriage, business, greed, lust, love, honor, loyalty and betrayal. Aspects that many of us can relate to. Please bring on another season.

3. Jeff B says

I liked the show. I thought the characters were interesting, attractive, and the plot was original. I was actually satisfied with the finale and can’t see a bright future for the series. I can’t see where it could go from here. But, I’m willing to be surprised.

4. Leticia Loredo says

Poor ending. You guys didn’t really tell us who she chose. There needs to be another season! It’s a great show and shouldn’t be cancelled.

5. lora says

I love love love this show!! I am shocked that it had bad ratings!! I can’t wait to watch it every week. The only reason I am seeing this is because I was looking for when season 2 starts. ABC better bring season 2 of betrayal back!!! How could you not love this show??

6. Cindy says

Please do not cancel!!! This show is so good!!! It also could have gone all kinds of directions with the family!!!! I want to know who she picked!!!

7. Marie says

I found out about Betrayal back in October from a magazine ad. After watching for the first time, I was hooked. I look forward to Sunday night at 10 p.m. This is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. I’m mesmerized by the chemistry between Sarah & Jack. Just seeing them together makes you believe in true love. The cast members are great in their character portrayals, especially Jack. He’s definitely hot! How can you cancel the show not knowing whom Sarah picks? Please, please bring it back. And hopefully, if you do, she will pick Jack – he’s so right for her. Drew’s not a nice person.

• Anonymous says

to Marie,Drew not a nice person!Jack is a crooked lawyer working for a murderer who should have been in jail long before this started.HE is not a nice man,

8. Jana says

Betrayal was my favorite show. I hate to think of it stopping. The ending left it to your imagination. Please consider keeping it.

9. Ken says

How long has or did the Dutch show Betrayal is based on last/still run. If the original lasted longer than one season or is still running then ABC should sort what happen in the transition for Dutch to USA, straighten it out and give it another chance. It is a well done show with attractive leads. Come on ABC do some analysis and give us a second season.

• Barbara says

Hundreds of fans have been writing to keep Betrayal on another season–but has anyone from ABC even seen our comments–gosh, I hope so–if not–all the fans are just venting to one another–ABC has a great track record of introducing really great programming and then shuts it down only to replace the show with some idiotic sit-com–I agree with so many that we should boycott ABC– I think NBC and PBS have really great programming that’s on season after season and you can rest assure that the following season they will all return–I can’t believe some of the trash that’s been advertising for our future viewing–there are so few shows left on ABC worth turning the TV on for–at this point I think I’d rather curl up with a great novel and not stress over whether or not my favorite shows will be returning–shame on you ABC!!!!

• Tiffany says

I have contacted abc again and I have given them the link to this site. Thank you so much for giving me that idea. My last comment to abc was asking them to not cancel the show. It would be great if we can get more people to do this. hopefully we can keep our show!! Thanks again for the idea

10. Jane N says

Please bring the show back. I love all of the characters and hated how it ended ! Who did Sara choose? That show is no comparison to Pam Am and the other one you mentioned. Both my hubby & I watched it and loved it. If we were not able to watch it we taped it to watch later…